2 Ghouls vs. My Crappy Phone Camera (Bones 4)

AuralEntropy

I finished up two of the Bones 4 ghouls. The third one will be converted into a nothic when I have the time and urge to do so.

Basing and painting them was a lot of fun and I am really happy with how they turned out. Photographing them on my crappy old iPhone was painful. I couldn't shoot on black background as the highlights just burned/washed out in a glare of white, no matter what I did with the light box and filtering the lights. On white the colours went crazy. On the brown/beige they were ok, but the colours were way off, so I had to adjust them as best I could. Still not really happy with how the pictures turned out, maybe it is time to get a new phone with a better camera...

Any photography advice, especially for lighter skin/shades/highlights so they don't burn out white would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit:

I took Doug Sundseth’s advice and painted out one of my backdrops grey and added a front light. This was just a quick snap, but I think they turned out better and the colours are truer. Thanks Doug. 

BA5E2C56-11AE-4CF1-BDA8-B1923A1B4E78.thumb.jpeg.9238df453d74c3e3f6369ef2034e1a1e.jpeg

2E2AE99D-589A-4C08-B507-A8F41A776E6A.thumb.jpeg.6320f0c6cbffe3ebb607d791fd7627a5.jpeg

old photos:

final 1.jpg

final 2.jpg

final 3.jpg

final 4.jpg

final 5.jpg

Edited by AuralEntropy
New photos
  • Like 22

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, AuralEntropy said:

Any photography advice, especially for lighter skin/shades/highlights so they don't burn out white would be appreciated. Thanks.

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/55357-miniatures-photography-101/

TL;DR: Dark backgrounds cause the camera to "think" there isn't much light, so the camera will increase exposure, blowing out highlights. Light backgrounds cause the camera to think there's lots of light, blocking up shadows. Colors cause the camera to think the light isn't very white, causing color shifts. And light boxes tend to bring light in from the top and sides rather than the front where you want it. Simplest answer is a medium gray background and lights from the front rather than top and sides. More detail is available if you have questions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2