TPSminis

Frost Giant Raiders & Winter Wolf (updated)

Really nice. The different tones for each of the leather types gives it an authentic feel that contrasts well with the  blue skin tones. Once I get all these undead out of my hair I've been meaning to have a go at them myself.

• Like 4

Lovely pair - my favorite is the first one - her face and expression, the wonderful colors on her leather cloak looking looking both cold and worn.

• Like 3

Nice work on both of these. May I ask what paints you used for the blue on the first giant's quiver? It came out beautiful. Really gives it an almost magical effect. 

• Like 2

I used MSP for all of the paints involved, with the exception of some Hull Red by Vallejo in a few spots.  Specifically for the quiver, I wanted to make it seem like it was a magic item, like an Efficient Quiver or the like.  My intent was to have it look like polished color stained wood inlay.  First, I drew in some wood grain lines using a micron pen.  After that dried, I used MSP Clear Phthalo Blue only slightly diluted with water.  The blue was translucent enough and dark enough that I didn't have to do anything else to it.  That's it.

Also, for both of these models, I started with a white primer, specifically Tamiya White Fine Surface Primer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As promised, updated with custom bases.  The bases are 3" diameter, following along 5e making giants huge monsters (as they should be).  The stone is actual bits of slate, painted to be a bit warmer than their natural color.  The snow is the usual PVA+baking soda.  I tried to give each of them disturbed snow behind, like a foot print or the like, to make them look less static.  I did have to fill in with "snow" under their feet, but overall I'm happy with the outcome.

As much as I like these, I feel like I've already learned so much while painting them, the next minis I paint should be even better.  Thank you to everyone who has commented thus far, I appreciate it.  Next big step is getting a halfway decent lightbox instead of just hanging a piece of paper up and shooting with my phone..

IMG_20191012_122431.thumb.jpg.e41f6adf68fd6fb857828aff06b0ef35.jpgIMG_20191012_122157.thumb.jpg.8050ac934cb12905a0bebe0ed8322e25.jpgIMG_20191012_122229.thumb.jpg.2371ef417e662ac73d09f730d3ec9768.jpgIMG_20191012_122404.thumb.jpg.18048bdc6aafef885068004934dee5ae.jpg

• Like 14

Those look fantastic!  I missed the KS and have been looking for these minis.  I love how you did them, especially the one with the spear.  Bases look great too.

• Like 2

To finish off the set, here is the Winter Wolf that accompanies the spear-wielding Frost Giant Raider.  Custom base consisting of a wood plinth with a chunky cork board "stone", topped by the ever popular PVA+baking soda "snow".  It was essentially a speed paint, though I'm happy with the eyes.  I went with a 2" round base since Winter Wolves are considered large creatures, though this guy is really big for the base.  I figured I would just stick with the standard sizing according to both Pathfinder and D&D 5E.  Of course, the more I look at these close-up, the more I hate them, haha.

IMG_20191017_124345.thumb.jpg.12bc9d5be400eccefc432160da886ea0.jpgIMG_20191017_124356.thumb.jpg.1c1c54565f5cc2870230c229f8335c0e.jpgIMG_20191017_124404.thumb.jpg.57493883087d3cb6af8270fc281f8032.jpgIMG_20191017_124315.thumb.jpg.bbb0aa17c5706a638aa35de38b1eec88.jpg

• Like 11