Colonel Kane

Digital D&D player's handbook

Hello all,

My oldest son is wanting to run a d&d game. I am wanting to purchase the Player's handbook, but I would like to purchase a PDF. Is that even possible? I have access to it, but they are all playing on-line websites. So am I just missing it or if I want it i have to purchase an hardback book? The you for any and all answers , yes even the smart butt ones.

Wizards does not currently have the 5e books for sale digitally, other than in the files on D&D Beyond. (which aren't proper, downloadable, PDFs - they're part of the website). 

Edited by izzylobo

Just now, izzylobo said:

Wizards does not currently have the 5e books for sale digitally, other than in the files on D&D Beyond. 

Well crap. As much as I enjoy books, I have gotten where I prefer digitals. Thank you for the quick reply.

As long as your purchase from D&DBeyond is valid, they have a app that allows you view the books you've bought in it. It's formatted pretty similar to what you'd get as a pdf. I use it all the time for my weekly games. There even a quick index which has been very valuable when players need something class related looked up.

8 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Otherwise, the Basic Rules are available as a free PDF.

yup got those, but for the feats and skills it refers to the Player's handbook.

23 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

yup got those, but for the feats and skills it refers to the Player's handbook. 

The skills are in Chapter 7.

Feats are an optional rule anyway. It's not like the feats in 3rd edition or Pathfinder.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:40 PM, BlazingTornado said:

The skills are in Chapter 7.

Feats are an optional rule anyway. It's not like the feats in 3rd edition or Pathfinder.

I was looking for a big long list of skills. so completely missed those, Thank you. Good to know that Feats are an a option. I have made a character, but not finished him. I will wait till I meet up with my oldest son and see how he wants to finish it. I did text him about abilities scores and he wants 4d6 drop lowest, which is his call, so that is what I did. 

I can get you other free PDF materials Wizards put out that supplement the Basic Rules. They put out supplements for their first three adventures so DMs that were just running from the Basic Rules would have the necessary information on magic items, monsters and spells mentionned in the adventures, as well as a player's companion introducing four more playable races and some new spells.

(no idea if I'm allowed to post links here, though)

I do not think it would be wize* to post links here in the thread. 

*yes I know wise is spelled with and s, but it looks cooler with a z. 

I really would recommend taking a look at D&D Beyond; I use it for the fifth edition game I play in, and I'll upgrade my account when I finally move the game I run to fifth edition.

The character sheets are really easy to navigate from a smart phone or tablet*, and you can print the sheets if you need a physical copy. You can also email electronic copy to your DM if they want a copy but don't have DDB. Building a character is super easy and running it digitally is very intuitive.

Buying books through DDB is a little annoying, since you have to buy them through DDB (if you already purchased a physical book, you need to purchase it again for the digital DDB copy), but if your table chips in on a subscription for the DM, you can share all the books held in everyone's accounts. And once you have the book, as @haldir mentioned, you can navigate it independently of viewing/building a character. 

*I actually use my smart phone for almost everything I do in DDB; the only exception is inputting house rules for creatures or character options.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sanael said:

I really would recommend taking a look at D&D Beyond; I use it for the fifth edition game I play in, and I'll upgrade my account when I finally move the game I run to fifth edition.

The character sheets are really easy to navigate from a smart phone or tablet*, and you can print the sheets if you need a physical copy. You can also email electronic copy to your DM if they want a copy but don't have DDB. Building a character is super easy and running it digitally is very intuitive.

Buying books through DDB is a little annoying, since you have to buy them through DDB (if you already purchased a physical book, you need to purchase it again for the digital DDB copy), but if your table chips in on a subscription for the DM, you can share all the books held in everyone's accounts. And once you have the book, as @haldir mentioned, you can navigate it independently of viewing/building a character. 

*I actually use my smart phone for almost everything I do in DDB; the only exception is inputting house rules for creatures or character options.

I have signed up for Beyond. Not sure how I feel about it so far, I have yet to explore it all just yet. I still would prefer PDFs as than I can print the book if I feel I need to. 

56 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

I never got into Beyond....

The fact that I needed to buy all my books again was a big deal-breaker.

I am checking it out, but yeah, if I can not print the book to look at offline, well yeah. I always have my phone me yes, but sometimes I want a book in my hand. 

1 hour ago, BlazingTornado said:

I never got into Beyond....

The fact that I needed to buy all my books again was a big deal-breaker.

I'm lucky as I'm a late adopter of new editions. I never played any fifth edition until about eight months ago, so I owned zero books when I first met DDB. 

There's no way in all nine hells that I would pick up DDB for third edition at this point, given the money I've already some into physical books, so I totally get where you're coming from.

• Like 1