Colonel Kane

Digital D&D player's handbook

2 hours ago, Sanael said:

I really would recommend taking a look at D&D Beyond; I use it for the fifth edition game I play in, and I'll upgrade my account when I finally move the game I run to fifth edition.

The character sheets are really easy to navigate from a smart phone or tablet*, and you can print the sheets if you need a physical copy. You can also email electronic copy to your DM if they want a copy but don't have DDB. Building a character is super easy and running it digitally is very intuitive.

Buying books through DDB is a little annoying, since you have to buy them through DDB (if you already purchased a physical book, you need to purchase it again for the digital DDB copy), but if your table chips in on a subscription for the DM, you can share all the books held in everyone's accounts. And once you have the book, as @haldir mentioned, you can navigate it independently of viewing/building a character. 

*I actually use my smart phone for almost everything I do in DDB; the only exception is inputting house rules for creatures or character options.

I wish they would move created characters to the app thou. Kinda annoying that you have to go the their site & under creations, find your sheet for a game.

I'll be playing my goblin barbarian again this Weds. Nice to know all I need to bring is my phone, my mini & a couple sets of dice + a pen & Reaper U notebook. Unlike my DM days.......

• Like 2

17 hours ago, haldir said:

I wish they would move created characters to the app thou. Kinda annoying that you have to go the their site & under creations, find your sheet for a game.

I'll be playing my goblin barbarian again this Weds. Nice to know all I need to bring is my phone, my mini & a couple sets of dice + a pen & Reaper U notebook. Unlike my DM days.......

I noticed that as well. Having access to the character in the app would be great, oh well might as well to be filthy stinking rich to go with it right. 

Well I placed an order thought Amazon for the PHB DMG and MM plus the DM screen in a box of some sort... Should be here on Thursday.... More likely Friday, but we will see. 

• Like 2

Amazon says my package was received by the facility at 4:30 this morning and has not left........ It has been over 12 hours ago. I could have driven to the facility and picked my package in that time........ WTH??????

• Haha 1

Alright, I will now use this thread to ask questions for the 5E..

So far I have a question about the Passive Checks. I am not fully understand them. Please explain. 

Basically, the main one is Passive Perception, which works mainly as a flat roll against anyone hiding from the PCs, or vice versa for players trying to hide from NPCs.

This is why all monster/NPC stat blocks include the passive perception score, it's essentially the DC of a stealth check against a creature.

Any other type of passive ability check is utilized at the DM's discretion.

Everything else should be explained on page 175 of the Player's Handbook.

So, I ise passive checks to see if the Pcs notice anything without having tonalert them that something is going to happen by asking them to make a check.  For instance, there is trap in the corridor ahead.  If I adked for a perception check from theblead character, they roll low, suddenly the party may start moving slowly, or tapping the floor ahead of them.  Using passive perception, I can just compare the PP of the lead character to the DC of the trap and let them know that something seems weird up ahead.  Then they can investigate and see what is up ahead.  Same thing for a secret door.

• Like 1

ok it makes more sense now. 

On the starting gold, I know this will be subject to my DMs approval, but IfI pick the Solider background I get 10gp in addition to what ever starting gold I roll. is that correct? 

No.

The background items, including money, are intended to complement the "default starting equipment" that is provided for each class, as this would otherwise leave player characters completely penniless at the start of the game.

If you're rolling for gold, that gold is meant to replace both class equipment and background equipment, including the 5-10-15 gold depending on the background.

This is covered on page 143, Starting Equipment.

• Like 1