Help identify this early 1980s wizard?

My mother died last month. While cleaning up her house my sister found this miniature, probably the last survivor of my original collection, most of which I took with me to college and later gave away.

Does anyone know what it is? I would have purchased it between 1980 and 1984.

4F350694-8677-4813-B7B2-33B6192FA92B.thumb.jpeg.1dbd27d38451506211c7178922d51434.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

That price?! ::o:

About what I spent for it back in 1981-ish. Back then a box of eight Ral Parthas cost $5.

As I recall, I got about 98% of my minis from the local strip mall game shop, a few specials by mail, and this fellow from the local toy store, which astonished me by having anything rpg-related at all.

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

@Pingo my sympathies!

The mini has been identified I see.

And how about you?

Recovered well after the surgery?

Thank you. I’m doing very well, thanks. The doctor still wants me to avoid lifting anything heavier than 25 pounds  for a bit longer, but I’m back up to regular physical activity, swimming, etc.

20 hours ago, Lars Porsenna said:

Wow that's a fairly decent sculpt for a Minifigs figure!

Yeah, wow. For a Minifig this is freakin’ Michelangelo.

21 hours ago, alchemist said:

Minifigs Fantasy Folk FF-001 Magic User with staff

MiniFigs-FantasyFolk-001.jpg.d2ac47b29d800841677ae4be9f9e6049.jpg

And thanks for the ID!

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Iridil
      This fellow has been lurking at the bottom of a drawer or box for over 30 years.... I finally painted him up. It was actually a bit irritating somehow... I guess that's why he sat in nothing more than a coat of primer and a red shield for so long! Not sure the maker, maybe citadel? He is on a metal part for the slot base that helpfully says 'orc'. All this time later, I love him just for nostalgia and remembering my dad painting up all those orcs... and we never used the minis in play!

• By 72moonglum
      And good evening to all of you of the Reaper persuasion,

So just finished photographing this guy this afternoon.  This is an Earth Elemental, originally from a blister pack of three minis, this guy, the Earth Elementals Lord I painted a few days back and an interesting looking iguana-like Earth Familiar, which is on my docket next.  This was sculpted by Jim Johnson and released somewhere in the nineties.  Fun figure to paint, not a drop of metal, but all sorts of different earth tones.  The only un-earthy tones are the crystals in his spine, which I painted blue.  I wanted to originally paint them green to match the crystal in the Shaman's staff, but I didn't think there would be enough contrast between the grass/moss around the stones.

The little iguana familiar will be next!

Enjoy!
    • By 72moonglum
      Tere Reaperlased! 
      So here's another miniature from the days gone by, a Julie Guthrie Female Giant, originally in her All Things Dark and Dangerous line.  This is apparently version two of the miniature.  The first one I painted maybe a year or so ago, a more primitive looking hill giant lady, who has always been one of my favorite figures Julie has sculpted along with her female centaur

Julie Guthrie Hill Giant

Julie Guthrie Centaurs

Anyhoos, here she is:

and then afterwards a comparison photo so you can see her against one of her contemporaries, a female mage:

once again, color choice was so hard and I have no idea where the inspiration for purple hair came from. I think it was due to the fact that she wasn't a earth-tone hill giant, but a little more civilized. And we all know most civilized women have purple hair. 

Anyhows, hope you enjoy!

• By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone! After seeing @Kangaroorex Grenadier 9601, Black Dragon, I decided it was time for me to salvage mine from the shelf of shame. Thanks for the motivation Kangaroorex. This model was sculpted by William Watt in 1988. Unfortunately, the one I bought some years ago had a few battle scars. It has a broken horn and a broken wing claw. Its main tail stinger and tongue were also broken. As a reference, the base is 75mm wide.

• By Pingo
      Happy birthday, @TheAuldGrump and @Inarah. I hope you enjoy this. Notes follow after the photos.

This is Grenadier’s Hippogriff, #138 from the Fantasy Lords series way back in 1983, now sold in lead-free pewter by Mirliton Miniatures, Italy. It’s well sculpted, with securely fitting wings.

I wanted to paint something different from the common hippogriff colorings, something with a little challenge to it. So I decided to go with several black and white patterned creatures. The front end is based on an osprey, the wings on a hoopoe’s, and the hindquarters on a zebra, all somewhat modified to suit the figure and to blend where the shifts happen.

Whenever you’re going to paint a chimeric model, a creature made up of the parts of other creatures, it’s a good idea to go look at real animals to see how their colors and feathers and skins look, and also how they blend into other things. If nothing else, there are excellent visual resources on the internet.

Technical notes:

• Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)