Sign in to follow this  
BrokenWolf668

Finished and based Graveyard Golem

I love this mini...excellent paint job.  All the little details really put it over the top.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Iridil said:

Nice paintup - all the details are clear but united. Nice use of tufts too!

Thank you so much, that was the effect I was trying for, always hard with a limited color pallette, and I'm glad I achieved it.

18 minutes ago, Highlander said:

Please tell me how you did the moss.  I have been unable to determine an approach that is at scale.

So basically, it's just paint. I know I used Army Painter Cultist Robe for the darkest green, then I believe it was Commando Green for the next shade, finished with Mouldy Clothes. I apply it with some homemade stipple brushes I make from clapped out Walmart specials I use for terrain and other stuff I don't want to tear up a good brush on. Essentially, just cut it down to 1/4 -1/8 inch, so you've got some good stiff bristles. Then, despite what you've heard your whole painting career, DON'T THIN THE PAINT, and just start stippling it on, starting with the darkest color. The reason you want it thick is because that provides a bit of texture. When the base color is about 3/4 of the way dry, start in on the second, and then when that's almost dry, the third, remembering to fade in the edges so there's no clear demarcation lines. Then, let is sit until dry. Once dry, go over it with a wash, I like Army Painter's Military Shader wash, but you can get a similar effect by combining a green and a black wash, probably something like 2:1. Then, let dry thoroughly again.

That's it, the one helpful hint I have is to say that you want to keep any highlights a bit more subtle than you might normally do. Also, depending on your particular brand of piant, you'll need to do some playing around to get the colors just right. I'll try and post a pic of the relevant colors when I get home so you can at lest get an idea of a starting point, since I realize Army Painter isn't for everyone.

Edited by BrokenWolf668
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BrokenWolf668 said:

So basically, it's just paint. I know I used Army Painter Cultist Robe for the darkest green, then I believe it was Commando Green for the next shade, finished with Mouldy Clothes. I apply it with some homemade stipple brushes I make from clapped out Walmart specials I use for terrain and other stuff I don't want to tear up a good brush on. Essentially, just cut it down to 1/4 -1/8 inch, so you've got some good stiff bristles. Then, despite what you've heard your whole painting career, DON'T THIN THE PAINT, and just start stippling it on, starting with the darkest color. The reason you want it thick is because that provides a bit of texture. When the base color is about 3/4 of the way dry, start in on the second, and then when that's almost dry, the third, remembering to fade in the edges so there's no clear demarcation lines. Then, let is sit until dry. Once dry, go over it with a wash, I like Army Painter's Military Shader wash, but you can get a similar effect by combining a green and a black wash, probably something like 2:1. Then, let dry thoroughly again.

Green 'rust,' essentially. Well-described and effective!

16 minutes ago, Rigel said:

Green 'rust,' essentially. Well-described and effective!

Thanks, and essentially, yes. I've tried several other methods, such as finely chopping up green basing material/moss, and nothing looked right at this scale, so I started trying this out, and it worked. Wish I'd thought of it sooner, TBH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BrokenWolf668 said:

As promised...

20191007_190434.jpg

Mouldy Clothes or Scaly Hide?  The text says one; the photo, the other.

And .... thank you.

Edited by Highlander

52 minutes ago, Highlander said:

Mouldy Clothes or Scaly Hide?  The text says one; the photo, the other.

And .... thank you.

Sorry, they're right next to each other in my organizer, so I may have remembered wrong, but looking at the colors, 99% sure it's Scaly Hide.

• Like 1