Sign in to follow this  
Elbon

Help needed! Rock troll gems!

Looking for advice for the gems on my rock troll.  Wanted to have a multitude of colors but when i was done it just looned like a pack of skittles.  Tried drybrushing with white hoping to give them a gleam effect but while i can see what i was going for, now it jist looks more like fruit loops colors to me.  Any advice that will make these ba ies pop/sparkle would be appreciated.20191007_170731.thumb.jpg.f1dd5c519e3ac85ff565217aab4592d9.jpg20191007_170724.thumb.jpg.4148195caea20e88a7c0c42b1351332f.jpg

• Like 1

Gloss coat definitely, when you're done. I'd also advise painting the facets of each crystal in slightly different shades. Maybe you could restrict the palette to only 2 or 3 gem colors (though more hues of the same colors perhaps?) if the 'bag-of-skittles' effect is too jarring. 

• Like 3

I agree with Rigel, I'd pick one color and then do a range of shades and hues. So red-purple/purple/blue-purple. Or yellow-green/green/blue-green. Even taking it down to three colors adjacent on the color wheel (blue, green, and yellow or yellow, orange and red for example) would limit the skittle effect, especially if you clustered them in groups transitioning from one to another instead of scattering them randomly.

• Like 4

The thing about gems/crystals/glass - light enters the top and then diffracts out at the bottom.  So, the top part is best painted dark, with the bottom part holding the color of the gem.  White can be used to catch the edge of the crystals.  If I'm lucky I posted an image of what I'm talking about . . . . (note not my original picture)

image1.jpg

Edited by Doug's Workshop
  • Like 7

Thank you everybody!  Going to do some doctoring tomorrow after work.  Will let you all know how it goes!

Edit:  Al, the link you sent doesnt work.  :(

Edited by Elbon
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Elbon said:

Thank you everybody!  Going to do some doctoring tomorrow after work.  Will let you all know how it goes!

Edit:  Al, the link you sent doesnt work.  :(

Yeah, that looks to be a CMON issue. Give it 24 hours or so and it should come back. I went straight to the website's article list, and it had the same database error.

• Like 2

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys.  Still not perfect but looks way better than it did.  Gonna keep practicing.  Thanks to everyone!!! 

20191013_204842.thumb.jpg.6803d6341cccbc2508de688899454a0e.jpgBtw i intend to put the gloss coat on as advised once i am 100% happy with the gems.  

• Like 12

One thing I noticed about real gems is that not all faces are the same colour due to light reflections. Some faces are mirror flat and nearly white, while other faces are much darker.

Managing a convincing transparent surface on opaque plastique is particularly challenging.

• Like 3

Those look great. Stop beating yourself up . For bottles and metallics, I hold the miniature to the side of strong light, and paint the miniature accordingly. Edge highlighting, like you used, helps. You can also paint gloss (including Tamiya Clear colors), hold up the miniature to the light, paint, then apply gloss again.

I have to freehand some pickled green things and red things in murky brown liquid. Yeah, *that's* fun. :P

• Thanks 1

Lol not trying to beat myself up.  Just trying to make sure its done to the best of my ability before i seal it up.  I will gladly take the compliment though! 

• Like 1