Sign in to follow this  
Neyuttad

Cloak and Dagger: A Spy Game

Vincent glanced around the mansion for a while, then lowered his spyglass down and layed it atop the desk. There wasn't anything unusual so far, so he decided he might as well get some rest.

With that, Vincent took off his scabbards, and habitually tucked one of his short sword under his pillow. He walked over to the door, opened it to see that the guard was still there, then closed it. He locked the door as he did so, then layed down on his bed, and fell asleep.

A cool clear morning dawns in Siltar. Tanner who has been awake for a couple of hours committing spells to memory, finishes a simple breakfast and heads downstairs when he hears the bell on the front door of the shop tinkle. He greets Samual and tells him that he will be out of the shop for several days, but he is confident that Sam can run the store in his abscence.

As he steps out into the early morning light, Tanner whistles shrilly and his companion, a shepard dog by the name of Jack, trots silently up to him. Tanner pats him gently on the head and begins his trek down the street.

Tanner has walked only two or three blocks when he realizes that he is being followed. He turns left at the next intersection and then makes a quick right into the alleyway that bisects the block in between the buildings. Doing a quick check behind him, he sees that his shadow is still behind him. So I am being followed he thinks, preparing a spell in his mind as he puts his hand to the pommel of his sword. Emerging from the alleyway into a large square full of early morning shoppers (D@mnit, I have never been here before, must have made a wrong turn. Although it does look vaguely familiar...), he quickly sidesteps left around the corner of the last building and awaits his pursuer.

The man steps out of the alley and turns to face Tanner, not at all surprised to see him waiting. He is a relatively tall man, about 6', and massively muscled. His face is familiar to Tanner as is the psychopathic leer upon his face. The man laughs menacingly and draws his sword.

In a flash, Tanner's scimitar is in his right hand while spurts of fire shoot out of his left towards his adversary as he casts his magic missile spell. The man deftly blocks two of the missiles with the broad side of his sword, but catches the other two in his left shoulder. He grunts loudly and stumbles backward, but the glint in his eye remains and his smile only gets more evil.

"Is that the best that you can do Tanner?? If so, you had better prepare to DIE!!!" Flames shoot forth from his fingertips as well and Tanner barely gets a magical barrier thrown up between him and the enchanted fire, but it deflects harmlessly away.

The two combatants charge each other and their swords meet in a clang of steel and a shower of sparks. Their swords weave a deadly dance, exchanging blow after blow.

Tanner is obviously the better swordsman of the two and manages to get some effective slashes in to the man's arms and legs, but nothing two serious. Realizing that he has underestimated the skills of his opponent, Tanner's enemy begins to desperately look around for some other option.

Suddenly, seeing an opening in the flurry of sword blades, Jack darts forward and clamps his powerful canine jaws into the man's upper thigh. Giving a scream of pain, the man swings down with his sword blade and chops the brave dog nearly in half.

JJJJAAAACCCKKK, NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Tanner screams in anguish dropping to his knees and cradling the dying dogs head in his lap. His best friend and familiar, dead. He can feel the dogs life force draining from his body and is barely aware of the villian half running, half limping away through the square.

Suddenly realizing that his foe is escaping, fury boils through Tanners body. He focuses in on the fleeing villain and screams out the words to a fireball spell. The fireball shoots forth and hits the man squarely in the back disentegrating him and continuing on to hit a cart load of fireworks that the man was fleeing towards. The world erupts in fire and Tanner stands dumbfounded watching it burn until darkness claims him.

Tanner awakens in a with a start in a cold sweat. It was all a dream. He hasn't allowed himself to think back on the incident for at least ten years, but now it is haunting him again. He wipes the tears from his eyes cursing Jorel for bringing this back to him.

It can't be any later than 3 AM, but there is no way that Tanner is sleeping now. He slowly walks to his closet and lights a candel. He moves to the center of the closet, and pushes up gently on the low ceiling. A hidden panel slides away revealing a dark hole with a pulldown ladder in it. He pulls down the ladder and silently climbs up it and retrieves the two large canvas bags that are stored up there.

Tanner takes the bags to the small table in the center of the room and begins to unpack them. First the larger bag which contains a well worn suit of studded leather armor, with specially built cuffs at the joints of the shoulders, and elbows to allow free movement for spellcasting. He begins strapping it on piece by piece and surprisingly it all still fits, with a few adjustments of the straps here and there especially around the waist-line.

The other bag contains his REAL spellbook. Not the one full of mundane spells that he uses in day to day life but the combat ones. There is also his gleaming scimitar and the roll containing his shuriken throwing stars along with a few other general adventuring type items.

After equiping himself, Tanner sits down on the bed and studies his spells until dawn slowly comes to Siltar.

Having visited Skrzny, and aquired and swallowed an assortment of anti-toxins, Oliver grabs a hooded latern, his minimal load of equipment, a rope and grapnel, and heads through the sewers in the direction of Termon's place. With careful planning, recon, and execution, he should be able to find a way in....at least he wouldn't have to listen to more of that arogant elf......

Day 3:

The sun didn’t rise this morning and has not risen for some times now. As our adventurers meet at the Lady Mine, a few faces were not present; Analyn, Jorel, Gund and Oliver.

OCC: Oliver is currently exploring and enjoying the beauty that is the city sewers and Gund is probably late due to last night event....

Shannon remembers that the group are meeting at the lady mine and starts to get ready, she dresses in a manner suitable for the area but disguising her face to look quite different from normal. She dress in clothes suitable for the area, before she leaves she grabs the twin short swords she had deposited in the study, placing them back in their sheaths.

As she sets out she calls to Natascha "I will be out for a while, if Kyra returns before I do let her in and help her with anything she needs."

She then walks to the Lady Mine. As she enters she sees who is there and is somewhat surprised that there is no Jerel or Analyn. "Greetings where is Jorel ?"

Vincent woke up to yet another rainy day. After taking care of his morning nessecities, he grabbed his spyglass and took another view of the mansion, checking if there was anything strange happening.

He made sure there wasn't anything he missed, then changed his clothes and strapped his belt on along with his short swords. With that, he walked over to the next room where everyone met. Being quite early, the room was empty when he entered. Vincent leaned against one of the window, occasionally taking a glance outside for anything suspicious. He spotted a human shape, probably female, walking towards the inn. Later, he heard the sounds of footsteps coming up the stairs, and the room door opening.

"Good morning, Miss Shannon." Vincent said without even looking around to see her. He turned around, and smiled.

"The rest should be here shortly. As for Jorel, I don't think he's coming today." he said, then turned back to the window.

Once Kyra leaves grounds of Shannon’s home, she begins to sing softly to herself. As she finishes her short melody, she becomes invisible. “There,” she thinks to herself. “I’m in no mood to be followed or to be social.” She walks quickly through the rain, dodging puddles on the road and hoping no one notices her watery outline. She reaches her destination, the Fauka Mellonea, after what seems like hours. The doors and windows are closed, confirming to the public the bar is not open for business. Kyra walks around to the back and enters through a door, hidden from plain view. Once inside she climbs a set of small wooden steps that squeak slightly as she climbs. The only light is that of a small window on the top floor. “I do so hate these stairs. I wish Hulirrad would fix them.” Just as she thinks of Hulirrad, she hears a strong voice from below, “Creoso, mellonamin! Mani naa lle umien?”

Aiya!” she thinks as she stops, hoping the elder elf will leave her be. “The last thing I need is a lecture from him.”

“Kyra, Amin elea lle,” Hulirrad says in a warning tone as he beings to climb the stairs.

Sighing angrily, Kyra emerges as if she had been only standing in a shadow. “’Quel re, Hulirrad. Yes, I know you see me. I am dripping water all over the place. I swear you are more paranoid than me.” She starts to descend down the stairs. “I was merely returning to my room, is that a crime?” she challenges.

“Of course not, however I know you too well to believe that is the full truth,” he says giving her a knowing look as a father might to a daughter. “Come child,” he says holding his arm out. “You can tell me what you will over a morning’s meal.”

How does he do that? He always seems to pick up on things I don’t want him to.” She follows the frail looking elf to a personal kitchen area were Kyra notices that she must had interrupted his morning meal. She sits solemnly in one of the chairs at the small table as Hulirrad brings her a plate of small fruits, nuts and cheese. “Thank you,” she mumbles with her cheek in her hand.

“Now, are you going to tell me why you were sneaking back to you room, trying not to be seen or shall I guess the reason?” he teasing as he pops a few nuts into his mouth.

Kyra stares coolly in the elder’s eyes as she places a single nut into her small mouth.

“Alright,” Hulirrad says as he rubs his hands together and leans back into his chair. “If I had to guess,” he begins slowly with a big grin. “You meet secretly with handsome man who cooed you into a night of passion and now you are madly in love and the two of you are planning on running away to some far lan…”

“You can stop that nonsense,” Kyra interrupts dryly flashing him an aggravated look. “When have I ever…”

“Ahh, it will happen one day my dear…” he interrupts with a smile.

“Bah! Hulirrad, you live in a dream world, do you know that?” Kyra begins to munch on the fruits before her.

“Do I? Oh, well fair Kyra I do so apologize for my ignorance. Would you care to enlighten a feeble old man?” He pops more nuts into his mouth and looks at her with a twinkle in his eyes.

Kyra give a silent snort, “Feeble, heh only by appearance.” She sighs knowing that she has to tell him something. “When I came to work for you, do you remember me telling you that one day I might have to return to the line of work I was leaving?”

The elder elf thinks seriously for a moment, “Yes, I seem to remember you saying something about you needing a long sleep…”

Kyra smiles at his memory, “Let’s just say I’ve been awaken.” She finishes the fruit and eats a few more nuts before she adds, “I will need you to hold my room of course. I’m not sure when I will return. And yes, you will be one performer short.” She takes a square of cheese and places it in her mouth as she rises. She takes a few gold coins from one of her pouches and drops them on the table.

“This should cover the rent until I return.” She turns and walks back to the doorway she entered, “There are a few things I needed to pick up before I leave.”

Hulirrad calls after her, “Not to worry Kyra, there will always be room here for you.”

She climbs the squeaky steps once more to her room on the second floor. She opens the door the door and stares at her small apartment. It wasn’t much but it was home to her.

She opens a box that was sitting on a table close to her bed. She pulls a string in the center to remove a top layer of the box. Under layer laid a silver chain with many beads. She picks it up and rubs her fingers over the beads. “One for every successful mission,” she thinks. “I can’t believe I forgot about it until last night.” She places the chain in one her pack. Though she’d never admit it to anyone, she thought of the chain as a good luck charm. It gave her good memories to look back on which motivated her to get the next job done.

She also takes out a normal peasant dress form her trunk and places it in her pack. She takes one more look around her apartment before locking it up tight. She walks back down the stairs as quietly as she can though she knows Hulirrad is listening for her.

As she reaches the door she hears him shout, “Take care of yourself, Kyra. I’d hate to loose one of my best.”

She smiles even though she can’t see him, “Thanks for breakfast, Hulirrad.”

She pulls her cloak back over her to try to shield the rain and of course herself. She takes a round about way back to Shannon’s place. Just to insure no one is following her. Once Natascha answers the door, Kyra learns that she has just missed Shannon’s departure. She declines the maids offer to come in as she quickly leaves to meet the others at the Lady Mine.

She enters the room just as Vincent was telling Shannon about Jorel’s absence. “Good day Vincent,” Kyra greets him and Shannon each with a nod and a smile, “Shannon. So what is detaining dear Jorel?”

"Good morning, Miss Kyra." Vincent said with a nod.

"Master Jorel won't be coming, I'm afraid. He said something about "reawakening" another sleeper." he added, then went back on observing the streets from the window.

"Now that I think of it, I can seem to detect his location with this thing. I had always though that was the whole point of having these in the first place..." he said, holding up his emerald ring.

Kyra smiles knowingly at Vincent, "I'm sure he is out of range. They have about a 300 foot radius. If you go past that, they do not work," she pauses and gives a sly grin. "And you're all alone."

She looks over to Shannon. "I am sorry I missed you. I had a few things detain me in town."

Dull gray light filters into Tanner's room through the east window, drearily announcing the new day.

Tanner, looking up from his spellbook thinks to himself, What a great day to start a new chapter in life. This is NOT a good sign.

Packing his spellbook away in his pack and strapping on his sword, he gathers the rest of his belongings and heads downstairs. He gets a quill and a piece of parchment out from behind the counter and leaves a note for Samual; letting him know that he'll be out of town for a few days checking on an important shipment of ingredients and that he trusts Sam to run the shop while he is gone. He then dons his cloak to fend off the weather and heads out of the shop through the alley entrance and makes his way through the streets of Siltar to the Lady Mine.

Once there, Tanner takes a seat at the bar with his pack on the floor next to him and orders a small breakfast of bacon and eggs. He sits quietly, enjoying his meal and waits.

Vincent drew his dual short swords, then pulled out a cloth. He began buffing the blades, making sure they are bright and neatly polished. They were prized treasures to him. Craftsmanship beyond any swords he has seen before. He ran the cloth through along the edge, then trough of the crevice of the elvish inscriptions on the blade itself.

"So how long have you guys known Analyn and Jorel?" he asked as he kept cleaning his sword.

Vincent nodded, then sheated his two swords.

"I'll be back in a second. I'm going downstairs to get something to eat. Do guys want anything?" Vincent said, then walked out to the hallway and went downstairs.

The inn had a fair amount of people. Vin walked up to the bar, and sat down next to a man who was peacefully eating his egg breakfast. After looking at the man, he spotted the pack on the floor, and an emerald ring on the man's finger. It looked oddly familiar to his. He was just going to inspect his own ring, when the though struck him.

Could this be? Jorel did say he was going to reawaken another one. Better make sure first, before asking anything stupid...

He carefully loosened the ring from his hand, and quickly pocketed it into his coat. Vincent gave a wide smile, and waved cheerfully at the man.

"Hi!" he said loudly, then turned to the barkeep.

"Give me your best ale. Oh, and one for my friend here, too!"

After he got his drink, Vincent raise the cup at the stranger.

"Here's to ya, friend!" he said, then drank his glass. He wiped his mouth with his sleeve, and looked at the man again. Vincent gave the man a nudge on the shoulder and smiled.

"So what brings you to this fine inn?" Vincent said with a big smile.

Shannon looks up and smiles at her friend "Well I expected you to be gone, that is one thing I have always been envious of the Elven races for. Your need for little sleep, too often I havn't got enough and only rarely is the reason pleasurable enough to make up for it. I will need to return home myself before we approach the estate I didn't want to be spotted her in the clothes I planned to wear later. Just in case. hmmmm oh no thanks Vincent I have already eaten but a jug of water and some glasses might be useful. "

"So what brings you to this fine inn?" Vincent said with a big smile.

The innkeeperl look at Vincent in panic and back to one of the guard in the corner. With his eyes, he furiously motioned that one to bring this pair up and out of the crowd. A moment later, the guard came up to the bar and ushered Vincent and his new friend upstair where Shannon and Kyra is.