Sign in to follow this  
WIP

Reapers Paint lines...

Is there any official source information from REAPER about their paint lines?
Master Series Paints

Master Series Paints Bones

Master Series Paints Pathfinder Colors

What are the differences compared to one another...specifically?

Such as viscosity, especially.

Are Pathfinder Paints the same as Master Series and/or Bones Paints?

I ask because I luv their Master Series paints thin viscosity and would like to know how the viscosity of their other paint lines compare.

• Like 1

Pathfinder paints are the same formula as Bones paints. 

I'm not sure about viscosity, but the pigment density in Bones/Pathfinder is higher for more of a one coat coverage type effect. The regular MSPs the pigment isn't as dense, so they are easier to do layering with.

The old Reaper site described the different lines, but I've not found the info on the new site.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Reaper paints can be confusing.  The various lines, combined with samples and limited editions and specials, change relatively frequently ... with lines being phased in an out and specific colors becoming available, then not.  And, as noted, the differences are not presented up front.

I have made my peace with this phenomenon by simply treating each bottle as unique.  I don't concern myself with the line and its density and its additives; I've learned what density I like to work with, put a few drops on my palette, add my standard additive mix until the paint is at my preferred consistency for a particular application, and then paint away.

It becomes all about the colors.  Which are pretty great with Reaper paints.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 3

In general MSPs are thinner and designed specifically for a layered painting style. Bones and Pathfinder paints are more highly pigmented and thicker more suitable to a one layer covers style. They can certainly be thinned to act more like MSPs either with water or a flow improver.

As always different pigments behave differently so the paint out of a bottle of MSPs or Bones or Pathfinder will not always be the same viscosity as another. Reds and a yellow tend to always be thinner than blues, as an example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2