Be afraid, be very afraid, for I am building a new world. Shattering the Heavens, breaking the world and bending reality to my will....MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

I intend to use this thread as a help to building a world for use in a PbP, here at Reaper. If you have a comment great, but know I have an idea of where I am going with this. I am open to suggestions, but I may or may not use it, please do not feel that I am not paying attention to your suggestions. 

At this particular time I wan to use the city of Waterdeep as my starting point.  I know there are several PDFs over at Drive thru that will help detail the city, however there will be changes. I am currently thinking of pulling Waterdeep completely out of the FR. While I do love the FR, I want my own world. One that I can totally throw in a blender and hit puree at any time I deem it necessary. 

Gods

The god will change, will the FR has its own gods ready to rock n roll, I have developed my own over many games and a couple of different systems.

Deity

Alignment

of

Domains

Symbol

Anhur

LG

War & rulership

War, Knowledge

Lion

Aeolus

LG

Wind

Nature

Cloud

Karina

LN

Love

Life, Light

Butterfly

Isis

LG

Life

Life

Ankh

Vulcan

LG

Forge & Machines

Knowledge, Forge

Hammer

Marius

NG

Oceans & Storms

Nature, Tempest

Waves

Invictus

LG

Sun

Nature, Light

Sun

Severus Tullius

LG

Trade

Life, Trickery, Knowledge

Coin

Artemis

NG

Land and Animals

Nature

Bull’s Head

Morgan

N

Dreams & Afterlife

Nature, Life

Raven

Kassandra

N

Magic, Alcheny and the stars

Arcana, Knowledge

Broom

Kronus

N

Time & Knowledge

Knowledge

Hourglass

Portunes

N

Keys, Doors, Ports, and New beginings

Knowledge, Life

Key

Sporin

N

Healing & Peace

Life, Nature

Red Cross

Thoth

N

Inventions and Knowledge

Knowledge

Scroll

Turg of Nev

N

Architectural Planning

Knowledge

Quill

Aesop

N

Storytelling

Knowledge, Life

Masks

Beanus

N

Coffee and Mornings

Life

Cup

Thanatos

LE

Enslavement of all life

Death, Knowledge

Mailed Fist

Bellatrix

LE

Pain & Torture

Death

Whip

Orcus*

CE

Undead

Death

Skull

Aeacus

CE

Hate

Death, Knowledge

Erebus*

CE

Chaotic Change

Death, Trickery

A swirling Mass

Carnavorus*

CE

Slaughter

Death,War

Bloody Sword

Pestulous (Jubilex)*

CE

Disease

Set**

CN

Mutant Beasts

Beast Head

Apophis

CE

Total Destruction of everything

Black Circle

This is the list of deities for now. The Domains might change as I figure out the what they all are, currently only have the Basic book and it only has the Life Domain. The gods have heralds and I have not decided on how to place them into the world just yet. 

That is all I have for now any questions and or comments are welcome. 

Edited by Colonel Kane
Added Domains to gods

If it helps any, here are the domains introduced in later splatbooks:

Arcana (Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide)
Forge (Xanathar's Guide To Everything)
Grave (Xanathar's Guide To Everything, basically a less evil take on the Death domain)
Order (Guildmaster's Guide To Ravnica)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Grave (Xanathar's Guide To Everything, basically a less evil take on the Death domain)

OH JOY!!!!!! (Read that with extreme sarcasm)  So now your telling me I am going to have to buy more books.........Thank you so much BT, here I thought you were a friend.......lol I know you are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I mean... They'll only matter if a player has access to them and wants to play them, or if you think an NPC would need it, right?

It was more about giving you the current official domains so you could apply ones that fit with gods like Vulcan.

I'm personally still waiting for them to give us a domain for gods like Dionysus.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

I am assuming that Arcana is magic, Forge is just that forge items, Grave as you say a less evil of Death, and Order well is the order of things??? 

I am sure there will be others. I am having a feeling that there will be a wizard book and a cleric book with more,.... just more.

Xanathar's Guide (XGE) was on my list anyways. there other two were not, but are now. The completionist in me say everything, the part that knows the money issues say maybe over time.......

Arcana:

Magic is an energy that suffuses the multiverse and that fuels both destruction and creation. Gods of the Arcana domain know the secrets and potential of magic intimately. For some of these gods, magical knowledge is a great responsibility that comes with a special understanding of the nature of reality. Other gods of Arcana see magic as pure power, to be used as its wielder sees fit.

The gods of this domain are often associated with knowledge, as learning and arcane power tend to go hand-in-hand. In the Realms, deities of this domain include Azuth and Mystra, as well as Corellon Larethian of the elven pantheon. In other worlds, this domain includes Hecate, Math Mathonwy, and Isis; the triple moon gods of Solinari, Lunitari, and Nuitari of Krynn; and Boccob, Vecna, and WeeJas of Greyhawk.

Forge:

The gods of the forge are patrons of artisans who work with metal, from a humble blacksmith who keeps a village in horseshoes and plow blades to the mighty elf artisan whose diamond-tipped arrows of mithral have felled demon lords. The gods of the forge teach that, with patience and hard work, even the most intractable metal can be transformed from a lump of ore to a beautifully wrought object. Clerics of these deities search for objects lost to the forces of darkness, liberate mines overrun by orcs, and uncover rare and wondrous materials necessary to create potent magic items. Followers of these gods take great pride in their work, and they are willing to craft and use heavy armor and powerful weapons to protect them. Deities of this domain include Gond, Reorx, Onatar, Moradin, Hephaestus, and Goibhniu.

Grave:

Gods of the grave watch over the line between life and death. To these deities, death and the afterlife are a foundational part of the multiverse. To desecrate the peace of the dead is an abomination. Deities of the grave include Kelemvor, Wee Jas, the ancestral spirits of the Undying Court, Hades, Anubis, and Osiris. Followers of these deities seek to put wandering spirits to rest, destroy the undead, and ease the suffering of the dying. Their magic also allows them to stave off death for a time, particularly for a person who still has some great work to accomplish in the world. This is a delay of death, not a denial of it, for death will eventually get its due.

Order:

The Order Domain represents discipline, as well as devotion to a society or an institution and strict obedience to the laws governing it. On Ravnica, the domain is favored by clerics of the Azorius Senate, who use it to maintain and enforce the law, and of the Orzhov Syndicate, who exploit law and order for their personal gain. On other worlds, gods who grant access to this domain include Bane, Tyr, Majere, Erathis, Pholtus, Wee Jas, Aureon, Maglubiyet, Nuada, Athena, Anubis, Forseti, and Asmodeus.

The ideal of order is obedience to the law above all else, rather than to a specific individual or the passing influence of emotion or popular rule. Clerics of order are typically concerned with how things are done, rather than whether an action's results are just. Following the law and obeying its edicts is critical, especially when it benefits these clerics and their guilds or deities.

Law establishes hierarchies. Those selected by the law to lead must be obeyed. Those who obey must do so to the best of their ability. In this manner, law creates an intricate web of obligations that allows society to forge order and security in a chaotic multiverse.

Xanathar's Guide is really useful, soooooo many good options for both players and DMs; Sword Coast much less so unless you're big on Forgotten Realms. Only use I got out of it were the new sub-classes and sub-races. Guildmaster's Guide is more about playing D&D in the Magic The Gathering setting, I've basically just used it for its new races, subclasses and monster/NPC statblocks.

Honestly unless you really want the new player options, favor Volo's Guide To Monsters and Mordenkainen's Tome Of Foes over Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and Guildmaster's Guide To Ravnica.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Arcana:

Forge:

Grave:

Order:

Xanathar's Guide is really useful, soooooo many good options for both players and DMs; Sword Coast much less so unless you're big on Forgotten Realms. Only use I got out of it were the new sub-classes and sub-races. Guildmaster's Guide is more about playing D&D in the Magic The Gathering setting, I've basically just used it for its new races, subclasses and monster/NPC statblocks.

Honestly unless you really want the new player options, favor Volo's Guide To Monsters and Mordenkainen's Tome Of Foes over Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and Guildmaster's Guide To Ravnica.

Just as I suspected on the Domains, I can see adding Grave To Morgan. 

Yeah I am thinking as I get the money time and effort XGE, VGM, MTF, SCAG, and then GGR, I am going to ripp out Waterdeep from the FR and plasce it into my own world. I have always love the city, I use to own Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, but I gave all my stuff away years ago. 

I also plan to buy the above Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and a few other pdfs that help detail the city, even though there will be things changed. 

I also plan on buying the old Undermountain pdfs. I have always wanted to run that. so much to buy and not enough money...... lol

I had planned on buy a few of the PDFs this month then a one or two next month, but with the purchase of the PHG DM and MM books, they will have to wait. In the mean time I will have to change a bit and go with Plan B. Which is to start they party in a smaller village or town, and run them ragged that way........hehehehe, but first I have to shape the world. 

They revisited Waterdeep and Undermountain in the recent campaign modules Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (a bad adventure where you have a chance at facing off against established characters like Jarlaxle but can't affect them more than a "curse you, you set my plans back by like, five minutes tops") and Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage (which from what I understand is not a complete Undermountain and just highlights)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

They revisited Waterdeep and Undermountain in the recent campaign modules Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (a bad adventure where you have a chance at facing off against established characters like Jarlaxle but can't affect them more than a "curse you, you set my plans back by like, five minutes tops") and Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage (which from what I understand is not a complete Undermountain and just highlights)

They have redone both in about every version of D&D. I really love the old Waterdeep and that is not to say that some of the newer stuff would not get used in my campaign, but the older stuff would be the ruling factor. 

well I generated a world map I was happy with and saved to my laptop......... now the charge cord is fried so the laptop is out of commission, untill I can get a new charge cord, which should only be about $20, but long story short. I am dead in the water for now. 

Guess that's the luck of running a setting that's heavily influenced by historical cultures... just grab a slightly tweaked variation of the actual world and I was pretty much done. XD

https://www.deviantart.com/eotbeholder/art/Fantasy-World-Map-Unlabeled-442141580

What did you use to generate a world map?

Edited by BlazingTornado

8 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Guess that's the luck of running a setting that's heavily influenced by historical cultures... just grab a slightly tweaked variation of the actual world and I was pretty much done. XD

https://www.deviantart.com/eotbeholder/art/Fantasy-World-Map-Unlabeled-442141580

What did you use to generate a world map?

Fantasy Map Generator by Azgarr, I do not have a link as that is on my laptop, along with the save file for my world. It is a nice generator I used it to generator my map for my fantasy Gurps campaign. I could run it again, b ut I generated more than a dozen worlds till I got one I was more or less happy with.

I may just scrap that world and find another way. I have found a lot of way to generate a world online. It might even be a throw away world. Heck who knows at this point. I may do a hex map of a starting town and run with that. I am not sure I want to stay with 5e. My clones do a fair job, but lack the 'skills' that I believe help make characters. GURPS is wonderful in the skill department, but is 'crunchy' enough I believe it would bog down a PbP.

I have to make 5e work as I went out on a limb and bought the big three. I just have to figure out how it all works. 

Anyways I have rammbled on long enough. Thanks BT for being a sounding board. 

21 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Anyways I have rammbled on long enough. Thanks BT for being a sounding board.  

All good.

I know that generator, I tried it many times (seems to have updated since last I checked) but never had a world that worked. Ultimately a real-world ripoff ended up being the best method.

I'd also considered using existing setting maps (notably the Hyborian Age map) and just scrubbing off the nations' names.

I've used greece several times as my map. Not world map, cause the PC's don't have that kind of info, but regional map. Sometimes I flip and rotate it, but mostly, greece. Lots of coastline, lots of islands. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the to Crowley, it matters little at this point. My laptop cord shot craps so I am currently out of a laptop which had all kind of things on it like the characters and NPCs for my GURPS game, the map I might use for this game and all my PDFs for all my games. Granted some are stored on line, but some of the most vital is not.

• Sad 1