Sign in to follow this  
MonoMEGA

The Uprising Miniature's Race!

On 11/10/2019 at 2:19 PM, kristof65 said:

My recommendation to Reaper would be to design some sort of organizational system and out of stock cards like Wizkids has, and offer them up to retailers. 

I had a thought about this today.

Rather than try to match the organizational system and out of stock cards that WizKids uses, Reaper could publish a catalog with a curated selection of minis organized into various race/class combos.  IE, a page of "human fighters" or "elven wizards" showing 4-8 pictures of minis, and the stock numbers/names of 6-12 more. 

This would give customers in stores a quick and easy way to identify appropriate miniatures for their desired PC just as quickly as browsing the WizKids selection. (Of course, finding the right stock number buried on a wall full of Bones minis might not be that quick). And it might help get a larger exposure of Reaper Minis into those stores who don't really carry the Reaper line - they might be far more willing to acquire a catalog than acquire a decent selection of Reaper minis.  

I can think of two ways to do this - one would be similar to their current Bones catalog, but of course, this would have to be updated and reprinted periodically.  The other way would be as a looseleaf binder with the initial catalog, and then monthly/quarterly 1-4 page updates (that could be offered as PDFs as well.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

^ Yes! I’m new to collecting Reaper (and minis in general) and I’ve been surprised at how difficult it is to find a conveniently organized catalogue or database of figures for them. 

I’d have thought it would be a given for any company that trades in something ‘collectible’. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kalibak said:

^ Yes! I’m new to collecting Reaper (and minis in general) and I’ve been surprised at how difficult it is to find a conveniently organized catalogue or database of figures for them. 

I’d have thought it would be a given for any company that trades in something ‘collectible’. 

They had a VERY good search on the old website, but had to change it over. ReaperKit has been working really hard on it, but it takes a while to get everything on a catalog this size tagged again. Hang in there, it will be as good as the old one eventually. In the meantime, order the Bones catalog for a buck when you get something from Reaper, it doesn't have the metal mins but the plastic stuff is in there with pics. Lots of fun to dig through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^ Ooh. That’s good to know about the catalogue. I hadn’t heard of that and it sounds perfect for me since I’m primarily/exclusively a Bones Black collector anyway. Thanks!

I’m also encouraged to hear that the website’s search engine will hopefully be improved one day too. 

• Like 2

The current catalog doesn't have the Bones Black stuff yet. At least on the new website we do have the section just for the new Bones Black stuff.

• Like 1

The last couple orders I made directly from the Reaper online store included - for free - a hefty full-colour, glossy catalogue of Bones figures, bases, and paints - it's a nice catalogue, really handy to browse through, and I'm pretty sure it included some models that at the time weren't yet visible in the online store.  I'm not sure if it was included free because of the size of those orders or not (they were both about US $100 or so, and included other nice freebies - sample paints, several bonus minis, promotional stuff like bumper stickers and earbuds with Reaper's logo on them, etc.)

The last catalogue I've seen was for Spring 2019, and had a page saying to look out for Bones 4 "coming soon" - I didn't study it THAT closely, but I'm guessing the next edition will be the one to start including Bones IV items, including Bones Black (which first appeared for that Kickstarter!)

The pages of paints, showing blocks of colour that are pretty close to what is in the bottle, were really nice, and a good way for a newbie to plan which Reaper paints to buy first.

The figures weren't quite sorted out by race/class/etc., but they were sorted into a large general fantasy section, followed by Chronoscope, Pathfinder, boxed set, and other specialty sections, so there is at least some organization to it (it otherwise seemed to be organized with the older Bones models appearing in the early pages, leading up to the newer stuff toward the end, though again I didn't study it closely enough to say it followed that pattern exactly!)

• Like 4

First post! I'm a long time Reaper fan. I've been collecting minis since the late 70s. I had to unload a ton of minis a few years back, so I don't have nearly the number I used to have, but Reaper Bones and Blacks are making up for my loss. As for the catalog idea, I've got a few of their Casketworks catalogs over the years. What I'd like to see is, with their incredible success of the Bones 5 KS, they take some of that money and hire a database programmer to put an online catalog up using all the content from the Casketworks booklets. It might not be complete, depending on how complete Reaper's supply of Casketwork booklets are, but it would serve so many to see past and present miniatures in one location. Its best use would be allowing fans to see oop minis that they might try and glean off secondary websites like Amazon or eBay.