Sign in to follow this  
72moonglum

Ral Partha Mech Warriors - Liao Faction

Well done!

I like the greens, the faces are great especially the one with the helmet!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Well done!

I like the greens, the faces are great especially the one with the helmet!

Thanks Glitterwolf!

Even though the faces are very nicely exposed, I had some problems with the eyes being they were so small.  With the lady, her right eye (left as you look at it) after I photographed her the first time noticed that it had turned out horribly so I had to go back and work on it again before my final photos.  Still not completely satisfied.

And the greens, before I put sealant on them, looked a lot rougher.  I only use water ever as a flow agent and I use very watered down layers after the first layer, but it seemed a little grainier than I had originally wanted.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Iridil said:

These are some old school minis I haven't seen - thanks for sharing them. Great faces!

Thanks Iridil! 

I'm not really too sure about the history of these minis. I don't think they were actually available to be sold for too long. They're MechWarriors, which I understand belong to the Battletech game, and I'd seen these miniatures in passing a few years back and they had always kind of been in the back of my mind as very interesting, even though they were sci-fi and not fantasy.   I saw not too long ago that Ral Partha re-released them, so I got a hold of some and thought I'd start painting the sets little by little.  I'm working on the Liao faction right now, and have the skins painted for them, next is to grab a group of security guard looking types and start working on their clothes which will probably all end up being grey with green details.

• Like 2

You found some very rare pieces. I have been playing BT since the beginning and have never actually found a set of them! Congrats!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Corsair said:

You found some very rare pieces. I have been playing BT since the beginning and have never actually found a set of them! Congrats!

The beautiful part about this is that they are all available again out at Ral Partha's web site, so if you ever wanted to snag some sets, now would be the time while they are still available. They have all five factions that were sculpted back in the eighties available and they really aren't that expensive when you consider that each package comes with eight figures.

• Like 2

I've been told these are the pilots for the Mechs and it's very hot in the cockpit, which is why they are pretty scantily clad.

Those are the old retro cooling vests, think padded/flexible radiators

Edited by SandyBFB
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, SandyBFB said:

I've been told these are the pilots for the Mechs and it's very hot in the cockpit, which is why they are pretty scantily clad.

Those are the old retro cooling vests, think padded/flexible radiators

You are dead right and welcome to the place!

From an OLD Battletecher, yes, I have blown up a Rifleman from overheating! Gotta love the 3025 stuff.

• Like 2

Im a big battletech / mechwarrior fan - I want to see more! I like that they are scantily clad, but not in an erotic way.

Ive definitely destroyed my fair share of mechs with heat. In the best of times you ride that line where the alarms are barking  and you keep blasting - one more crit is all you need....

Really characterful. I'm looking forward to the rest of the crew.

Do you have the Kurita pack? That would be my vote for the next faction.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vulture said:

Im a big battletech / mechwarrior fan - I want to see more! I like that they are scantily clad, but not in an erotic way.

Ive definitely destroyed my fair share of mechs with heat. In the best of times you ride that line where the alarms are barking  and you keep blasting - one more crit is all you need....

Really characterful. I'm looking forward to the rest of the crew.

Do you have the Kurita pack? That would be my vote for the next faction.

I’ve got the other five from the Liao faction on my table to hopefully finish in the next few weeks and then who knows, Kurita might be next!

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hello again!

here are the other two that I just finished, two elven fighters that Ran Partha did a while back.  They had a couple neat ideas, one was to have a male and female version of a race and class, and these two are the miniatures that are for the Male and Female Elven Fighters.  Not sure who the sculptor is on these, should probably find out.  

I did them both with more or less identical color schemes, partly in the thought that it's the same adventurer just in a different male or female version and then also because it made my life easier with one color scheme instead of two.

and here they are together:

Anyhows, hope you enjoy!

Mark
    • By Weird-O
      FINALLY back in a WarShip frame of mind, so here we go! First up is the Essex-class CDS Architeuthis:

Up next is Alliance Naval Star, consisting of the Nightlord-class CSR Lynn McKenna, Essex-class CSR Marshal Ney and CSR Mulhacén, Whirlwind-class CSR William Adams, and Fredasa-class CSR Kutkh.

• By 72moonglum
      Good morning everybody, so here's a figure that's actually been sitting on my paint desk for probably six months I'm guessing.  I got his skin and his white beard done, but afterwards all the colors to add on afterwards were kind of stumping me, so I ended up just leaving him sitting there for months and months.  For some reason though after getting back from a business trip two weeks ago, I took him up again and finished him pretty quickly.  I think it was a combination of color choices and some tight spots to get paint to that were putting me off.  Anyhoos, I got him figured out and finished.  I gave him some pink shoes, just because I wanted to annoy the cosmic color wheel, but when I look at it, his shoes don't even actually bother me that much. So I'm not sure if I was able to accomplish anything in an attempt to violate the holy color wheel or not.

He's a Hackmaster Battle Mage, probably from around 2003 or so, originally sold on the Hackmaster range and acquired a few years back from Iron Wind Metals/Ral Partha.  Nice solid figure, pretty good side and despite my earlier trepidation, a pretty easy paint job to do.

Fronts and back at slightly different angles, couldn't choose the best ones so threw both sets in. 

So anyhow, hope you enjoy!

• By alchemist
      These guys are really tiny, from back in the days when the word "miniature" really meant something.  They are based on 0.5" washers.

• By Xiwo Xerase
      These are the first four BattleTech miniatures I've painted this year.  They have been painted to tabletop quality.  The WIP for them is over here.

The four miniatures featured here are: (from left to right)
      Catalyst Game Labs Catapult, plastic, from the Fire Lance Pack. Iron Wind Metals 20-211, Archer ARC-8M, metal (standing in for an Archer ARC-2R). Iron Wind Metals 20-200, Griffin GRF-6S, metal (standing in for a Griffin GRF-3M). Catalyst Game Labs Cyclops, plastic, from the Fire Lance Pack.  
      They are painted in the parade scheme of the Free Worlds League Marik Militia: "purple, with highlights in red on the right side, and in blue on the left".

For an idea of size, here's the obligatory picture with Sir Forscale:

Individual pictures of the minis are hidden under spoilers.

Archer:

Catapult:

Cyclops:

Griffin:

The two metal miniatures have been based using Iron Wind Metals hex bases.  The plastic minis were removed from their integral bases and based on Proxie Model hex bases.  The basing is simply paver sand glued down with superglue and painted.

The paints used were: (all Reaper paints)
      Primary purple: Amethyst Purple, highlighted with Sorcerous Mist and Spectral White Blue accents: Cyan Blue, highlighted with Ultramarine Highlight Red accents: Phoenix Red, highlighted with Fire Orange Weapon barrels: Honed Steel, highlighted with Blade Steel, Filigree Silver, and Shining Mithril Joints and other metals: Tarnished Steel, highlighted with Blade Steel, Filigree Silver, and Shining Mithril Hands and other "rubber" parts: Stone Grey, highlighted with Weathered Stone Cockpits: Adamantium Black, highlighted with Pearl White and Vallejo Metal Medium Base sand: Yellowed Ivory, highlighted with Creamy Ivory Base rim: Gem Purple Wash: A mix of Brown Wash and Flow Improver  
      As noted in the WIP thread:
      There are some mold lines that didn't get filed down. There is some detail that should probably have been enhanced (for example, filing down more on the Griffin's missile pod and recreating that detail, or drilling some of the missile launcher holes deeper). Some detail in the Archer's missile launchers was obscured by CA glue.  (Gluing on the missile launcher doors was painful.) When the Catapult was removed from its integral base, its outside toes were mangled.  
      As always, constructive criticism and comments are welcome.  I won't be doing further work on these minis (unless I break one) but I can always use advice for painting future minis.
  • Who's Online   41 Members, 4 Anonymous, 221 Guests (See full list)