Aeteperax The Cruel - Attempt at sculpting/painting a Green Dragon

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work. I really like the way you made the wings/arms loom over everything. The focal points immediately grab the viewer's attention - the extra set of limbs helps with the dynamism. What a menacing and imposing dragon. It has a distinct facial and body style from other dragons I've seen. I don't know how much of this is your own visualisation and how much is from the source description, but dragons can start to look the same after a while and yours breaks out of that.

I don't want to say anything negative about such an impressive piece, but since you asked for suggestions I admit I find it top heavy. The bottom legs are noticeably skinnier than the other two sets, and the tail is not much mass compared to the body either. This helps exaggerate the effect I like about the model, but I think if you make something similar again you could still change the balance and give more heft to the legs and/or perch.

Thank you for sharing this; it's inspiring.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Hikikomori said:

I don't want to say anything negative about such an impressive piece, but since you asked for suggestions I admit I find it top heavy. The bottom legs are noticeably skinnier than the other two sets, and the tail is not much mass compared to the body either. This helps exaggerate the effect I like about the model, but I think if you make something similar again you could still change the balance and give more heft to the legs and/or perch.

Thanks for the advice, that's definitely one of the things I will keep in mind next time. When doing the armature the size of the legs was around the same as the arms, but when i started bulking them up I somehow managed to make them smaller and only really noticed when it was too late.

• Like 4

I like this a lot. I am running Dragon's Demand right now and recognised Aeteperax immediately. While others have commented on him being top heavy, the proportions are quite true to the source material.

If you want advice on casting you might try making a separate thread in the sculpting forum; in my experience the people posting there are not only very knowledgeable but extremely helpful.

• Like 2