Sign in to follow this  
Jellyranger69

New Here!

Welcome! Always glad to see a new forumite, and you've got the right idea, painting for fun. Have a good time, post to Show Off as often as you like, and join in the fun on Randomness. I'll look forward to seeing you around!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Welcome to the Forum!

Have fun.

Texts in purple are meant as a joke.

Just so you know.

Good job!

• Thanks 1

Great paintjob!

Almost good enough that we can forgive you for using Citadel paints... 

Actually, thnking about it, I probably have those, too... Somewhere... 

(Never got around to trying them. Are they any good?)

Did you use a varnish on it?   

You may want to use a matte varnish on at least the cloth parts to cut down the glare since most fabrics aren't that shiny. 

(This is not a critique, just my suggestion to push it towards the next level of excellence)

A Donegan Optivisor with optic glass lenses is a nice tool to help with detail work. 

You may want to send a PM to a moderator to combine the two threads.

Edited by Gadgetman!
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Great paintjob!

Almost good enough that we can forgive you for using Citadel paints... 

Actually, thnking about it, I probably have those, too... Somewhere... 

(Never got around to trying them. Are they any good?)

Did you use a varnish on it?   

You may want to use a matte varnish on at least the cloth parts to cut down the glare since most fabrics aren't that shiny. 

(This is not a critique, just my suggestion to push it towards the next level of excellence)

A Donegan Optivisor with optic glass lenses is a nice tool to help with detail work. 

You may want to send a PM to a moderator to combine the two threads.

No, that’s great advice! I haven’t played with varnishes yet so I will give that a try! I’m ALWAYS interested in suggestions and feedback. I don’t have any fellow painters in my social circle so y’all will have to be my 2nd set of eyes. 

I like Citadel only because I find it easy to work with, but it’s definitely thick. I like their washes. Plus the colors all have awesome names. 

I’m not a fan of Army Painter paints. Game Air are very nice in my opinion, vibrant and smooth. Haven’t tried any Reaper colors or Tamiya. 

Thanks so much all! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jellyranger69 said:

No, that’s great advice! I haven’t played with varnishes yet so I will give that a try! I’m ALWAYS interested in suggestions and feedback. I don’t have any fellow painters in my social circle so y’all will have to be my 2nd set of eyes. 

I like Citadel only because I find it easy to work with, but it’s definitely thick. I like their washes. Plus the colors all have awesome names. 

I’m not a fan of Army Painter paints. Game Air are very nice in my opinion, vibrant and smooth. Haven’t tried any Reaper colors or Tamiya. 

Thanks so much all! 

I started out with GW/Citadel paints.

These days about 30% of my paints are Reaper, 30% Scale 75 and 30% Vallejo, the remaining 10% are P3, GW/Citadel, Secret Armour Washes and Craft Paints.

Have a look at the Reaper and Vallejo and Scale 75 paints.

Scale 75 needs a lots of shaking but they have the best metallics in the field.

Reaper and Vallejo are very good paints as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Army Painter is... for special interest groups.  I found their white to be more like chalk paste than paint, and the rest also required thinning to become usable. 

For Tamiya, all you really want from them are the clears. There's nothing like it in any of the other ranges. And for good reason. Not only is the stuff toxic, but it smells to high heaven also. And yeah, you don't want to use it with your good brushes. Use in well ventilated areas only. The old Humbrols have nothing on these...   

Reaper's metallics also requires a whole lot of Shaking going on. 

Varnishes not only helps adjust the shine, but it also protects the paint. 

You'll find that dust can cling to minis for years after they've been painted, unless they've been varnished.

And some varnish after doing something difficult. Because if they accidentally hit some freehand with a brushful, it can be wiped off without destroying the freehand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1