Sign in to follow this  
wdmartin

Bonehenge Priestess

dreadmere-priestess-123.thumb.jpg.df6b553aa3368106e3f8743dca37f550.jpg

dreadmere-priestess-124.thumb.jpg.7f9a085fbe3e5f8d96e6fa1cbab84194.jpg

dreadmere-priestess-125.thumb.jpg.47cdc4da2dafd2a5d3a51b81d13a9017.jpg

dreadmere-priestess-127.thumb.jpg.9db65c6d4bac6e25baaba29e796dbd65.jpg

dreadmere-priestess-126.thumb.jpg.3e3d1eb5d18426800b6a9b64ef7e6e3c.jpg

I'll confess, I was terrified to start putting yellow on there. I hand-washed a sink full of dishes and did laundry and worked on a different mini and fixed a flaw on her back robe and did everything I could to delay ... and then there was nothing left to do but do it.  And so I did.

I ... I think it  worked.

Holy cow!

• Like 12

I think it did, too! Looks really nice!

I do think you need to brighten up the lantern itself; remember the light source should be brighter than anything it's illuminating.

I really love the way the light draws the eye to her face, and then her eyes are looking right at the snake. She's got some really fun personality going on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sanael said:

I do think you need to brighten up the lantern itself; remember the light source should be brighter than anything it's illuminating.

Yes, I was thinking about this -- but I'm not really sure what to do about it. I went all the way up to pure Dragon White on the highlights on the figure itself, which is identical to the white I used under the yellow on the lamp.  So I'm not sure what to do to make it brighter.  Maybe a smaller oval of white on each lantern face, with a very thin glaze of the yellow over it?

I didn't put any yellow on the lantern frame. I wasn't sure if it was necessary or not.

• Like 1

The OSL looks splendid. It really works.

If the lantern frame is made of metal with some form of black coating, I would say some minor reflections on the surface would be present.

I am not sure if the greyish highlights on the black lantern work, maybe glaze with a teal tone? At the moment it does not read as black. I would also try to feather the transitions on the lantern a bit with a mid-tone glaze.

Edited by Peithetairos
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wdmartin said:

Yes, I was thinking about this -- but I'm not really sure what to do about it. I went all the way up to pure Dragon White on the highlights on the figure itself, which is identical to the white I used under the yellow on the lamp.  So I'm not sure what to do to make it brighter.  Maybe a smaller oval of white on each lantern face, with a very thin glaze of the yellow over it?

I didn't put any yellow on the lantern frame. I wasn't sure if it was necessary or not.

I would say an oval of white, filling almost the entire panel of "glass" except for the corners, then glaze a little yellow over the white, leaving an oval of pure white at the center.

The central oval of pure white probably wants to be about a third to a half of the pane of glass, at least, otherwise the highlights on her body will look brighter than the lamp.

You also want to brighten the lamp so it looks believable that it's casting enough light to affect the scene; since her back (away from the lantern) shows some pretty saturated color, we as viewers know there's ambient light, so we have to see that lantern as bright enough to overcome that.

As for the lantern frame, I often won't paint light on it, as it would be pretty starkly silhouetted against the light.

• Like 3

Wow, she’s really looking good now with the yellow light. That lighting effect really pops, and you did a great job on the face. I only have a few final suggestions. First, if you want to neaten up things a bit, particularly around all the bits-and-bobs she has on her belt, dark lining is your friend. Second, the way the lantern is, it wouldn’t be shining too much light below it, so I would add more shadows to the bottom of the staff, the snake, and especially inside her sleeve. Finally, that blade on her belt could be reflecting some lantern light to make it look shinier. Try to keep those reflections thin, just small edge highlights, since it's fairly far from the light source.

Here's an example I made.

70715BEF-3758-442B-8D10-9929668B35C7.jpeg

I used a purplish color for the dark lining so it would be easy to see the effect, but a bluish color would work equally well.

Edited by althai
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

These sketches you do are so helpful, @althai.

dreadmere-priestess-128.thumb.jpg.4b8a1caef21a6dc23cabc6f47984ba60.jpg

dreadmere-priestess-129.thumb.jpg.3e5016cb4d35a933d506f17e48bb8189.jpg

I darkened the sleeve the the staff/snake, and did some lining on the doodads.  The shortsword definitely benefited from having a darker shadow. After taking these pictures I realized I'd forgotten to line the sword's grip, so I went back and did that.  The pouch above the sickle has better definition now as well.

The sickle itself, well ... I got those yellow edge highlights on, but the lining is barely visible. Towards the end I was using pure black on that. Harrumph.

Some close-ups:

dreadmere-priestess-131.jpg.6bec5604925c1f44c4dd329fd65fd632.jpg

dreadmere-priestess-132.thumb.jpg.ffe1478adee2ed6ca8902285239c9f7e.jpg

I was very brave and got some yellow in the eyes.  Thankfully yellow pigments tend to be very translucent, but even so I did not want to wind up redoing those eyes again. Thankfully it turned out okay.

On the lantern, I glazed a bit of Grey Liner over some of the midtone areas, and thend did some edge highlighting with the yellow.  On the lantern panes, I added some areas of pure white and attempted to glaze out to the edges, but failed to get any kind of reasonable gradient. Which is probably okay ... the white spots are barely visible anyway.

Finally, a distance shot:

dreadmere-priestess-130.jpg.ac237b28ae80efb92d41a032d0f25d3a.jpg

The OSL is still reasonably clear even at about arm's length.  Also, note the humidity sensor there.  It's been hovering in that range for the last month, which has made it rather challenging at times.  Especially when working with very thin layers, which dry almost instantly -- if I'm glazing, I generally have less than a second of working time on any given stroke.  Quite often I've gotten a brush loaded up with paint, dabbed off the excess, and discovered that the remaining paint had dried in the bristles before I could get it into position on the figure.

And now I have to get into bed, because I need to be at work extra early tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh, and I painted the ribbon on the staff Muddy Olive and then put a layer of Blue Liner over it, making it roughly the same color as her robe.

Edited by wdmartin
  • Like 8

Your improvements did indeed add more pop to the mini. The humidity at your place is pretty low. Almost like a controlled lab environment. 

Maybe it would help if you get yourself a humidifier for the painting area. As it stands you can not really use glazes or advanced blending techniques. I feel it holds you back and may be quite frustrating. At least it would be to me in this situation.

• Like 2

All right, I'm declaring the figure done!

I made one final tweak -- a bit of dark lining along the cuffs of her left sleeve -- and then I sealed her with Brush-On Sealer.

dreadmere-priestess-133.thumb.jpg.3a433fb5066d7c32ff5d3172ce4441de.jpg

As you can see, it gave her a bit of gloss.  I'll definitely be putting on a layer of Dullcote to kill that shine.  I think I want to get a new bottle of the stuff, though -- my existing can is mostly empty and several years old.  So I've placed an Amazon order for that.

Is it just me, or did the sealer shift the colors slightly?  The greens look more intense to me than they did before.

All that remains is the base, which I haven't touched since the picture earlier in the thread.  I think I may drill the holes for her pins next so that I can seat her on the base, but not glue her in position just yet.  It will be helpful for purposes of figuring out where light would fall to see her exact position with relation to the base, but I'd also like to be able to take her off and paint the base separately.

EDIT:

Aaaand she's got floating feet syndrome.

dreadmere-priestess-134.jpg.776d81b7910f98c8785599d27649a558.jpg

dreadmere-priestess-135.jpg.6630abfbf739ff93b8445016f38b4b35.jpg

It's not so bad from the back, but at the front she's pretty clearly hovering.  Especially if you tilt her back slightly:

dreadmere-priestess-136.jpg.d3bab3d5704e535eea35a7c5df023724.jpg

She's not glued in there yet, so I can fix this. My options are additive or subtractive.

Additive: I could build up the space under her with green stuff or milliput or similar.

Subtractive: I could carve away at the resin to make her fit more snugly.

I'm leaning towards additive. There's an actual gap in the top of the base there where the bark of the tree trunk has split to reveal the wood interior.  But it's almost entirely covered by her robe anyway, so filling it in would be no particular loss.  And it's not hard to sculpt plausible bark, especially when most of it it will be covered up.

For the moment, though, I'm going to go do some errands.

Edited by wdmartin
  • Like 8

Okay, green stuff deployed!

First I stuck the left over brass rod -- previously attached to the main figure -- and stuck them in the holes I drilled, so as not to lose those.

dreadmere-priestess-137.thumb.jpg.60741d23e8fe6eddc71e702748636f74.jpg

Then I mixed up some green stuff, smooshed a bit in there, and poked at it until it looked like bark.  (Bark is dead simple).

dreadmere-priestess-138.thumb.jpg.70cc920ee3b298fe164ae6efe499ea20.jpg

And then I pulled the rods out.

dreadmere-priestess-139.thumb.jpg.3da2469e9ec84bc0f30f8973f8ca8e91.jpg

And there we go. I'm going to let that cure over night, then try a fitting and see how she sits now.

As usual, I mixed up waaaaaaaay too much green stuff. So I made a sausage and hung it up to dry. Once it's cured I'm going to try my hand at fluting it like a greek column.

dreadmere-priestess-140.thumb.jpg.e6b978240da447e7b861222edd01deff.jpg

• Like 6

A little progress -- not much, I've been sidetracked by some other things.

Primed it with brush-on primer yesterday, and then let it sit over night -- I like to let that stuff dry thoroughly before I start painting on it. I also removed a leaf that didn't catch my fancy at the same time.

dreadmere-priestess-141.thumb.jpg.6eb1468d00327e21be199eb1f2cac751.jpg

This evening I started painting.  This first attempt was Oiled Leather with a black ink watch and a layer of Blue Liner.

dreadmere-priestess-142.thumb.jpg.4951306cc5cd56411bd8bc51eefb9cd5.jpg

Much too bright.  I base coated the leaves with a layer of 1:1 Blue Liner/Whatever The Heck Green, and then went over everything with more thin blue liner.

dreadmere-priestess-143.thumb.jpg.66eff2ac793a244d38e60a8ae855fd57.jpg

Here's another dry fitting.

dreadmere-priestess-144.thumb.jpg.359e05a64e8526ba264770b78aa21c2b.jpg

dreadmere-priestess-145.thumb.jpg.6578d8e6d507ca45053d5a2f199250de.jpg

I think the floating feet problem is basically solved -- you can still see through if you hold it up and deliberately peer under the edge of her robe.  But the gap looks fairly natural.  And anyway, it would be terribly rude to peek under a lady's robe uninvited!

That said, the color values on the log still seem too bright to me. If that lantern is the main light source in the area, then they should be much darker, especially the ends of the logs.  I may just throw more Blue Liner at the problem.

I'm tempted to make those mushrooms in the base glow pale blue.  It would balance the composition a bit, I think -- a bright, warm yellow light at the top, and a pale, cool blue light at the bottom.  Then again, I didn't plan for that, and it would necessarily involve a fair bit of work to bring the colors around the mushrooms back up to lit brightness.  Also it would logically extend at least a little way onto the folds of her robes.  I'm split.  It might look cool, but on the other hand, it would also be a lot more work.  And I would rather like to actually finish this project at some point.

• Like 8

I havent checked in in a while but wow! She is looking beautiful! And that base! 

The glowing mushrooms would definitely be cool, but definitely unnecessary if you are looking to wrap up the project.  

I do think the log is colored a bit too brightly.  It looks as if it is in daylight when the bottom of the mini is in dim light or darkness.

• Like 2