Inarah

Thanksgiving Paint Binge Challenge 2019

It's that time of year again! 

It's time for  the Annual Thanksgiving Weekend Paint Binge!  

Link to the 2018 Challenge.

The object is to finish as many figures as possible. Quantity counts over quality.  All manufacturers are fair game, posting of WIPs and finished pieces is strongly encouraged. You may prep and prime figures before hand, in fact I recommend it. Get out all those primed and half painted figures and get ready to finish them!  

Finish your Rainbow Dragon.  Get caught up on your RPChallenge.  Catch up on your Minivember totals.  Work on your Secret Sophie.  Finish your Large Figure entry.  Get your paint on any way you like. 

When you complete a mini post a photo here, or make a link to Show Off. 

It doesn't matter if you aren't in the US, come paint with us anyway.  Have to work? Travel? Have to cook a big family meal? That is part of the challenge. 

Painting begins at 00:01 am Nov 28 and ends 23:59 pm Dec 2. (according to your local time zone)  This gives you a chance to finish up Monday night and post pics. 

Who's in with me? 

BONUS CHALLENGE:  Use at least 3 paints from Reapercon 2019, or the Halloween promotion:

--  Clear Brights: Orange

--  Pthalo Blue

--  Pthalo Green

-- Breast Cancer Pink

-- 09279 Fresh Blood

-- 09680 Spectral White

•  
  • Like 7

I'm starting prep early due to crazy November scheduling and travel plans.  Here are the 19 figures I'm starting with:

(will be updating model numbers as I figure them out)

DSCN1227.jpg.47b8d9ebb4680344e9bb2b3b9541ac9e.jpg

Bones 1-3:

77144 mummy

77156 owlbear

77341 lion & lioness

77352 demi-lich x2

77038 hellhound

Bones 4:

vampire

bride

mummy

44071 dark elf priestess

44089 fire shaman

44078 giant snake

44027 terror fish x2

44026 razor mouth 

44025 bloodwolf

Critical Role:

adventurer

tin man

19 figures might be more than I can complete, but some of these will be very easy, so it's possible I will get 4 or more a day done. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 5

Unfortunately i.am almost always with my brother at his house that week and never really have time to paint.  

I look forward to seeing what everyone else has wrought though!

• Like 3

I’m thinking this will be a good time to try out those contrast paints I bought and haven’t used.  I need myconids, gnolls, and some other underdarkish creatures.  I’m going to start digging through my stores to put them together.

I’ll try to do:

B4 Darkreach fungoids

B4 Darkreach dark elves

B4 Fan Favorites Dark Dwarves

Wizkids Myconids

About 4 Bones gnolls I have in retail packages

Hooked hulk (metal)

River troll (metal)

• Like 3

My paint time gets limited this time of year, but last November I managed to paint a half-dozen goblins, and the year before I painted some (I think 4) spectral knights.

This year will be different because I am working on a competition piece, so I plan to spend the month futzing with smooth blends, etc.

• Like 3

As much as I would like to join everyone, unfortunately my painting area will be getting dismantled in prep for one of my kids moving home.

I will be cheering all the participants on.

• Like 3

I'm still in discussions with my wife as to whether or not I will be participating.  That's her birthday weekend and we're discussing what she wants to do that weekend. 

Interestingly enough, she's given me the go ahead to participate already - I'm just holding back because I want to make sure that she's really OK with that. 

• Like 6

My parents are up for Thanksgiving, but they're leaving on the Friday. So I can likely paint on Sat and Sun, depending on D&D and the like. Tentatively in. I do have a pile of stuff to paint, with little need to make it stellar.

Stuff for the current campaign:

IMG_20191106_212733410.thumb.jpg.e43e4b0f941cdefdb34c45c2144f2f29.jpg

A bunch of Bones and Bones Black, largely dinosaurs plus a few brigands, plus Paymaster's giant toothy crocogod.

Probably just the raptors and carnotaurs will get done, but that'll be a nice dent.

Edited by Sanael
Add list
  • Like 5

On 11/5/2019 at 2:36 PM, kristof65 said:

I'm still in discussions with my wife as to whether or not I will be participating.  That's her birthday weekend and we're discussing what she wants to do that weekend. 

Interestingly enough, she's given me the go ahead to participate already - I'm just holding back because I want to make sure that she's really OK with that.  

In the immortal words of Ackbar: IT'S A TRAP!!!!

Can squads of units count for this binge, or is this a tally of individual/unique figures?

Secondly, out of curiosity, is there a record for the most figures painted by a single person?

Not sure if I'll be able to participate, since it is also my brother's bday weekend, but I'm going to prep anyways.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes, squads count. This is a good way to get a lot of army painting done.  

I think Froggy the Great did a humongous amount of army figures a few years ago. Around 70 if I recall.  The old threads are still here with end counts.

• Like 2

Hmmm, I'm not a US Citizen, I would like to try it.

Not sure if I will make it, but it could be an incentive to paint some units for my Egyptian Undead Army or more Conquistadores and Reptiles.

Let me think about this for a while.

But I understand we are allowed to prep beforehand??

On 11/7/2019 at 3:48 AM, Sanael said:

My parents are up for Thanksgiving, but they're leaving on the Friday. So I can likely paint on Sat and Sun, depending on D&D and the like. Tentatively in. I do have a pile of stuff to paint, with little need to make it stellar.

Stuff for the current campaign:

image.png.d7ebc601e02353701a75b1dcca79a41c.png

A bunch of Bones and Bones Black, largely dinosaurs plus a few brigands, plus Paymaster's giant toothy crocogod.

Probably just the raptors and carnotaurs will get done, but that'll be a nice dent.

Tell me, is this that thing?

Looks awesome, I might want one for the Lost World ( not that I don't have any monsters or dinos already, I have " a few, no more than 20 I'm sure! " )

• Like 3

Everyone, everywhere is welcome to join in on the fun any time during the weekend. The more the merrier.

Paint any number of minis from any company.

Yes, prep in advance. No point spending all that time filing or waiting for primer to dry. Get ready now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1