Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Thanksgiving Paint Binge Challenge 2019

I didn't actually get to paint anything until yesterday, but I think I'll have eight minis to add to the final tally. Just need some quick and dirty metal and a bit of drybrush work.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

Challenge doesn't end for another ~12 hours!!

I need to take pictures, but I got 5 done plus whatever I can finish tonight.

• Like 3

Finished the thief guy in brown,  I think that makes 14.  Got paint on a couple of the others, but they won't be finished tonight.  Will count them all and do show-off posts this week,  then a final tally of everyone who participated. 

Thanks everyone!  

• Like 3

Got nine done. These were all bare Bones or only primed on Sunday morning. I'm pretty pleased with then, considering how quickly they got done.

Four Bones Thugs (& Harmony?)

One Bones Wizard

One Mage Knight sorceress-type lady

One Bones donkey

Two Paymaster Games llamas

IMG_20191202_231651147.thumb.jpg.d554a9b867498b700113df983c7e0edc.jpg

I'll post to show off later. I'm happiest with the wizard's crystal, the sorceress' dark skin tone, and the club-thug's heart tattoo.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, kristof65 said:

No pictures still, but overall it was a productive weekend.  I ended up finishing about 30 minis I had started over the last two decades. Five Space Marines I started about a month ago, 10 Crusaders and 15 or 16 Overlords for Warlord I had started around 15 years ago.   it will be nice to open up those cases Warlord cases and see fully painted figures. 

Finally got pictures - and it was 21 Overlords, not 15 or 16, which makes it 36 minis total.  Will feel good to open the case and see them all fully painted now. even if it's only tabletop quality*.  Now I just have to assemble, prime and paint the rest of the Crusaders army. 

IMG_3006.thumb.png.02e71b366a6e1a0f4b6a05dae35ad158.png

IMG_3007.thumb.png.dfccf4798373dcc6630a595be4f70cd1.png

IMG_3008.thumb.png.77d20b6088e39ddc1a236a1d7ce60a3b.png

IMG_3009.thumb.png.9ab2a6b2e11a79f87550da76eee531bd.png

IMG_3010.thumb.png.0045bbef1ad8fdd29a10d49d9fd2a0dc.png

*my tabletop quality now is far better than it was when I started most of these, though. 

• Like 9

Wow - you guys are good and fast!

@Sanael You freehanded a tattoo on a dude for a quick n dirty paint job?

Well, I did get my 19 finished.  6 Bones lizard men, the toad and big monsters are from Bones 4, and all 10 of the fatties from Zombicide Prison Break painted to crappy board game quality (that’s one level below TT quality).

I’ll probably go back and touch up the zombies a bit and base the toad, but I’m calling these done for now.

55D80F02-42EB-4FC6-9464-50E60F15368B.thumb.jpeg.c50b6f112c042c775e70470304b04672.jpeg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, rubegon said:

Wow - you guys are good and fast!

To be honest, the Crusaders and Overlords I did all had their primary base coats and shading done years ago. So my binge painting was all details and trim.

I have a bad habit of getting models done to about 50-75%, and abandoning them. This Thanksgiving challenge was a good motivator for me to go back and finish up some of those units. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I have a bad habit of getting models done to about 50-75%, and abandoning them. This Thanksgiving challenge was a good motivator for me to go back and finish up some of those units. 

I have this problem too.  I've started a few things and get about halfway done and then lose interest in pushing through the rest and start assembling and prepping some new shiny thing.

I need to get more disciplined about finishing what I start.  It's very satisfying to finish something, but sometimes feels like a chore to get it there.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, rubegon said:

@Sanael You freehanded a tattoo on a dude for a quick n dirty paint job?

Well, I mean... Assembly line painting is so BORING if you don't do... Something...

But, two things:

1. I needed to get the blue and orange on that guy somewhere just to keep him coherent with the group. He's not wearing a lot of cloth to add those colors in.

2. The freehand is really simple if you just think of it as a heart and three lines. It's not like it's a lettered tattoo (I didn't write "MOM" in tiny letters).

Congrats on getting your horde done, too! I think we posted some decent numbers this year.

• Like 4

Two I finished. Good enough for table top use.

You can't have enough cultists. You keep going through them so quickly:

DSCN1315.thumb.JPG.40ad0d806b28e85cf3c07369b06438a7.JPG

At ReaperCon Bobie's game store had some dollar figures left over from a game:

DSCN1313.thumb.JPG.1af485cfe45e9ca409006d1345b9110a.JPG

• Like 6

Here are the 16 I finished:

DSCN1359.jpg.8342c5e5af491e4d2fd639263d9e3376.jpg

Finally Tally:  

Jay 2

Rubegon 19

Kristof65 36

Sanael 9

Chaoswolf 5

LotDP 11

Evilhalfling 2

Inarah 16

total:  100!

Great job everyone!  Thanks or participating, and if I missed anyone or miscounted, please let me know.   See you all next year. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Here are the 16 I finished:

DSCN1359.jpg.8342c5e5af491e4d2fd639263d9e3376.jpg

Finally Tally:  

Jay 2

Rubegon 19

Kristof65 36

Sanael 9

Chaoswolf 5

LotDP 11

Evilhalfling 2

Inarah 16

total:  100!

Great job everyone!  Thanks or participating, and if I missed anyone or miscounted, please let me know.   See you all next year. 

That’s really good!  We averaged 12.5 minis each, and 2.5 minis/person/day.  Those are some solid numbers!

I need to do this kind of thing more often.  I made time to paint most days, but it’s not like that’s all I did - we had TG dinner at our house and I did a lot of Xmas shopping, etc.  That shows that there’s no reason I can’t make steady progress on my backlog of gaming minis that need painting.  It was also a nice change of pace to paint things quickly with big brushes and just a few colors.  I feel like I learned how to be a better fast painter, which is really useful considering I still have 68 zombies to paint!

Thanks for organizing this @Inarah!

• Like 2