Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Classic Monsters: The Gill-Man (Creature of Blood Reef, 77189)

Thanks, all! I got lucky with the photos; sun was going down behind the clouds and the lighting worked just right. 

It's a fantastic mini; I love the detail in the scales/plates. I'll have to try another with mostly washes sometime. 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kev!
      Howdy,

For my first day of International Mini Painting Month I present Creature of Blood Reef...

Kev!
    • By FireElemental
      I spend less than 2 hours on this guy. He was the practice mini in James Wappel's Advanced Glazing class at ReaperCon this year. The brush that is pictured is the brush used to paint him. Wappel likes using cheap craft brushes since they are affordable and since he gave one that is what I used. This fellow was based and primed whitish by Wappel before class and we spend the class mostly applying glazes or glazes mixed with some thicker colors for things like spots. It was a lot of fun.

For those interested in the base, Wappel has a blog post with the process. He also has two posts showing his process on the example minis that he prepainted for the class.
    • By Pingo
      This is one of numerous aquatic creatures I'm painting for some oceanic-themed adventures.  This one is for a PC.  He's from the original Bones Kickstarter.

He had a serious tendency to fall over backwards, so I glued him down to a one-inch fender washer.  I primed him last year (before I seriously took to Reaper's Brown Liner) with a medium brown mixed from Burnt Umber and Titanium White, then washed pure Burnt Umber over him to pick out the details.

The first thing I did was wash over him again with a deep green mixed from Phthalo Green and Burnt Sienna.

Then I mixed a paler green from that with an addition of Hansa Yellow Opaque, Yellow Iron Oxide, and Titanium White, and brushed it lightly over the creature as a sort of basic highlight placement.  I also washed over the base with a sandy yellow color.

• By lexomatic
      This guy was an experiment in a bunch of things.
      Trying to underpaint then glaze - I feel like I learned a bunch even if the results don't show it. Didn't turn out how I wanted it, but I also like the end result.
      Trying to do a basic OSL - I think I have an idea of what to do when I want to try it more seriously.
      Another try at fluorescent medium (didn't work) - this was the lure and the OSL.
      I forgot to add VGC Warlord purple to the gills, and I didn't feel like going back after I noticed.
      The WIP is available here

I wanted him to look a bit shiny - so I went over the scales with a gloss coat on top of my usual gloss then matte varnish but for whatever reason this guy just looks wet all the time.

• By Adrift
      Welcome again friends to some more 4-5 hour tabletop painting.

Darkshade Raider. This sculpt is metal and is so eerily thin that when you get it in your hands it is quite strange looking. When I examined this sculpt I didn't like her so much as a Dark Elf, but more as a Vampiric Assassin. I don't know why I thought that, but it probably has to do with the kama's. I went ahead and tried to give her the look of a (former) living drow but give her a touch of undeath. The quality of the casting wasn't so great with respect to the facial details as you might see in the online store so I had some work around to do there. Reaper colors: Gory Red, Sun Yellow, Vampiric Shadow, Spattered Crimson, Woodstain, Nightshade Purple, Dusky Skin Highlight, Violet Light, Blood Red, Yellowed Bone, Linen White, Pure White.

Sea Lion. Bones and lots of mould lines, many of which didn't get cleaned up enough but I'm a bit over trying to pick over the mould lines. Adventured into some freehand on the creatures back to enhance the fish feel and tried to warm up the facial features to tie back into the lion/mammal feel. The base is from the Scibor Egyptian Ruins Terrain and was perfect for a sunken pillar. The pillar featured 5 scarabs and while 4 were covered as sea growth, the other was turned into Sebastian. I'm not much of a sculptor but I'm happy with how the crab turned out. Reaper colors: Driftwood, Redstone, Ultramarine Shadow, Nightmare Black, Tanned Leather, Woodstain, Nightshade, Oiled Leather, Dusky Skin Highlight, Pure Black, Yellowed Bone, Linen White, Rusty Red, Gory Red, Sun Yellow, Vampiric Shadow, Jungle Moss.

Creature of the Blood Reef. Probably the worst Bones figure I've ever had/painted. The mould lines are really bad and are diffuse; this is on top of obvious sculpt imperfections that litter the figure...reference the right leg. I tried to paint around it as best as possible to minimize the defects. That said, I'm pleased with how the paint job turned out and will happily replicate that color scheme on other fish monsters. Reaper colors: Redstone, Ultramarine Shadow, Nightmare Black, Woodstain, Nightshade, Bright Turquoise, Blue Liner, Burgundy Wine, Pure White. 

Comments, criticisms and ideas on how to do it better next time always welcome from ANY level of painter. 

~Adrift

• Who's Online   12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 152 Guests (See full list)