WhiteWulfe

Twenty minis in ten weeks semi-challenge

*coughs nervously* There might be a, uhm, a "few" more minis added into this.... :ph34r:

IMG_20191112_173122.thumb.jpg.6ae7c963df289a23ee9c3f36d33027b2.jpg

EDIT: More than likely won't be an update tonight as I get to get my shoulder checked out instead of paint tonight, grrrrr...

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

Haven't done too too much since Tuesday, as, well, I've been trying to take it easy on my shoulder, but being a delivery driver tends to keep it at least slightly aggravated, doubly so because I'm pushing myself to try and get caught up since the day I wound up taking off of work wasn't covered by anybody. 

On the flipside, since I'm only able to work in the occasional burst with my current setup, I have been working in assembling some of the various minis I picked up... 

IMG_20191118_235914.thumb.jpg.d78be489ff645eb525076189bb04930b.jpg

Top row is Hafza with Spifire, Al'Hawwa hacker, and Lasiq Sniper.  Middle row would be the old Odalisque with Spitfire model (the new one is a blister by itself, and odds are I'll get it eventually), and bottom row would be a defiant Hafza with rifle (he's literally standing with that cocky crossed arms pose) that's on his face at the moment so he doesn't glue to my cutting mat, a Djanzban sniper, and unassembled boy in the bottom left is a second Hafza with rifle, this time being crouched down somewhat. 

Next up in the assembly queue is both of the Azra'il's, then the Maghariba Guard.  Then I guess the support pack and Bashi Bazouks, since they'd be the ones left over... ^_^

I'm hoping to get back to painting soon - the pain in the shoulder isn't anywhere near as bad as it was six days ago (and it isn't radiating down into my chest either!), but still.  Fox wants to paint, but for now, I'll settle with being able to do five to ten minutes here and there, and most importantly, do things like make delicious Mac and cheese (yup, already done quality assurance test) so I have amazing lunch tomorrow, whooo! 

Oh yeah, got that third Salvora Governmental Complex done up over the weekend, so now that's three assembled, and one that I've done the edges of the cardboard with the Molotow markers.  Game board is slowly coming together, and I'm a happy fox about that! 

• Like 7

Argleblarrrrrgh!  Okay, I can understand having to pin the heavy machine gun, because it's pretty much the same weight as the guy's body, but, seriously? 

I had to pin the heads for them to actually stick, AND stay there for the glue to dry?   On the flipside though, that's two heavy infantry (that just need to be glued to the base) and another light infantry glued together now...  With the Maghariba "Murder Scorpion" Guard being started tomorrow if I don't wind up seeing if my shoulder will let me paint - if so, well, I suspect there will be paint involved! 

Pics tomorrow, I need to get something resembling sleep. 

• Like 4

So, been a few days.  Part of such is because, well, shoulder's being uncooperative yet hopefully physio will happen soon, and partially because of some games.  And maybe Disney+ gets some of that blame too.  Either way, I've at least been doing what I can here and there.  Got some painting in tonight, by the look of it about an hour and twenty minutes or so.  Figured I'd try out a few different things, one of them being something Angel mentioned in his videos - specifically that of thinning of paints and direction of brush strokes.

But first...

IMG_20191124_002716.thumb.jpg.f955cd554d7a87fda6b959ae86a9e213.jpg

^Oh, you are kidding me.  Really?  It seemed so secure before....  Okay, fine then.  we can deal with this...

IMG_20191124_002953.thumb.jpg.8f8a7e75316031b6394cc6fabc14e6bb.jpg

^Apparently he didn't want just his head pinned in place, he wanted to be equal to the AP HMG guy.  FIIIIIIINE.

IMG_20191124_012544.thumb.jpg.190d158baeb9d2bdfe516e1807c447ce.jpg

^Yup, just a few minis have been assembled, specifically the Qapu Khalqi boxed starter (six minis), and three blister packs.  The crossed arms Hafza comes with the rifle detached and loose.  I'm contemplating having it propped against... Something in his base, but I haven't quite decided what just yet.  Also, the Azra'il's have been attached to their bases, and they're propped up like that because I also glue from below for added hold.

IMG_20191124_012557.thumb.jpg.077ddf9e19330c09b8d3b60e5412048f.jpgIMG_20191124_012607.thumb.jpg.84284652066c42f1c52348837e528460.jpg

^Wait, this guy doesn't look all deserty and whatnot.  What's going on with this?  Well, figured I'd start working on some of the colours for hubby's army, since, well, can't just have my guys have colour on the battlefield!  Assuming I've looked at things correctly, this guy would be a USAriadna Marauder.  Hubby said "bluish purple" for colours, so I figured I'd give a shot with a 4:3:1 mix of 9417 Void Blue, 9424 Ruinic Purple, and my dark purple sample (of doom).  I think I'm at two layers so far for the pads and helmet, and one layer for the back, because I was rather tired by this point (and I'm even more tired now as I write this *laughs nervously*)

IMG_20191124_012635.thumb.jpg.0597c55484a43d2b314388ea596aafbb.jpgIMG_20191124_012642.thumb.jpg.0f8d0068a2bc3ed936687111b24481ec.jpg

IMG_20191124_012654.thumb.jpg.78c025af52c3b320c84eb4b7fcdb5f2a.jpgIMG_20191124_012703.thumb.jpg.335aa6caf62a4827d829aa30f25895d9.jpg

^Same paint mix was used here on the bike.  Most areas are two coats, except the fuel tank cover, which only has one, and is kind of obvious since the primer is still fairly visible.

For now, this is where things are, but I hope to spend more time painting tomorrow, even if it's only in shorter bursts over a few sessions.  Feeling rather happy to have finally gotten to sit down and paint again, even if my shoulder is being not the most cooperative thing at the moment.

• Like 8

Originally wanted to paint tonight, but those bare metal minis are sort of bugging me, not to mention their empty bases, so it's time to get some bases done up.  Oh, shoulder's somewhat better in some ways, but still.  I can't wait to get it looked at and then coaxed into properly healing so it isn't an issue again ^_^;;;

IMG_20191125_223654.thumb.jpg.0819a92ae5c97a3ed76d09ab935a2c73.jpg

^So yup, 2x Azra'il Heavy Infantry, a Lasiq Sniper, an Al'Hawwa Hacker, two Hafza's, and an Odalisque (she's the one crouching in the back behind Mr Smug I don't have a base yet Hafza) got their bases more or less done up.  Once things dry I suspect I'll go a second round on a few things, but that's for another day.  I went with a slightly different look to their bases for several reasons, one being a decent portion of these guys are Qapu Khalqi sectorial mainly, and secondly because I wanted something different than Vallejo rough pumice goop on their bases. :ph34r:

IMG_20191125_224147.thumb.jpg.01b13bb86b437830a22417593ca0a399.jpgIMG_20191125_224205.thumb.jpg.caab9babdaeb849e24026160a25fc382.jpgIMG_20191125_224212.thumb.jpg.0bbfcb415c2e62b0c4f5c0264ec83a6f.jpg

^I kind of wanted to blend the whole "foot on a rock" thing that the Lasiq has going a tad more, so hopefully this conveys it enough and adds to it.  If not, well, guess that means more work on making it all work together... ^_^

IMG_20191125_223714.thumb.jpg.a87984a0cb746deb427cdf63a68f82d9.jpgIMG_20191125_223723.thumb.jpg.3f908b3dfae680dc3a8ed4d26d0ba99f.jpg

^And we have two BattleTech minis that make their appearance.  @Corsair going on a vacation has nothing to do with this mysterious appearance of a mech (IWM 20-611 Ryoken "Stormcrow") as well as two tanks (Schrek PPC Carriers, IWM 20-753).  Sure, they weren't assembled, but they definitely were in my backlog, not to mention that hey, I wanted some BattleTech minis to work on as well.  Schreks still need to be tidied up, and I'm so hoping that the Ryoken stays together because man that was a pain to put together.  So glad that nowhere near as many companies use barebones flat versions of ball and socket joints these days!

Tomorrow is the day I'm somewhat worried about though, since I've seen the workload I have at work already.  Thankfully a good portion of it is just one customer, but we're talking a customer that's three hours of work, and a decent amount of heavy boxes...

• Like 8

That base is looking pretty good.  Is that broken up cork?  It matches the shape of the rock under his foot pretty well.  Looks like jutting pieces of broken lava rock or something.  Are you going to base the rest of them the same way?

I’m planning to start on either Coldfront or Firestorm, but not sure what to do about basing yet.  I was thinking of getting one of those a sci-fi rollers from GSW.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rubegon said:

That base is looking pretty good.  Is that broken up cork?  It matches the shape of the rock under his foot pretty well.  Looks like jutting pieces of broken lava rock or something.  Are you going to base the rest of them the same way?

I’m planning to start on either Coldfront or Firestorm, but not sure what to do about basing yet.  I was thinking of getting one of those a sci-fi rollers from GSW.

It is indeed broken cork, specifically Green Stuff World's "Cork Medium Rock".  I also make use of Green Stuff World's "Cork Grit Fine".  I had to sort through the pack a little bit to get ones that sort of matched the default rock. ^_^  The grey/brown/black mix is a mixture of Woodland Scenics ballast products aimed at railroad modellers that I originally made up way back in 2006 or so, and just never used for my Catachan Jungle Fighters army.

I suspect I'm going to model the rest of my HaqqIslam models similarly for their bases, partially so they work together on the table, but also still have a bit of individuality to each unit.  I've been tempted to something along the lines of climbing along broken/rough terrain for the Maghariba Guard, for example.  The Ariadna units will make use of some of the same base materials, but I'm aiming for more of a broken terrain mimicking the badlands here in Southern Alberta, rather than the more desert-ish kind of look I've gone with my HaqqIslam units.  The jutting rock will probably wind up being just the Lasiq with viral sniper rifle though.

As for the rollers from Green Stuff World, the five that I have (plus the plain one as a sixth) are rather handy, and one of these days I plan on picking up even more of them.  I've been eyeing up the BasiusXL pads, as I've wanted to try them out, but I haven't bit into that one fully because of the simple fact that they're $60 CAD each if you factor in shipping - they are rather large at something like 8x8" though, and made of resin, so not exactly the easiest or lightest thing to ship.

One option that seems to be fairly popular with Infinity is base toppers, with Warsenal, Micro Art Studios, and CustoMeeple being the more popular ones.

• Like 4

Sure, I'd love to assemble that Maghariba Guard, but at the same time....  MOAR PAINTING! (insert MS Paint meme image here or something)

Today's painting brought to you by Blackout Podcast 83.  I luff me some drum and bass.  Mmmm, DnB.  Sorry @Glitterwolf, while YouTube Music actually has been recommending me metal, just not feeling it today, even if apparently according to a customer I have a goatee that looks similar to the one one of the guys from Panterra has, just mine's dark brown instead of red.  Apparently.

Paints used today:

Vallejo Game Color Hot Orange

9405 Volcanic Orange

29804 Rusty Red

Today was a day of misses... and hits...

IMG_20191127_231319.thumb.jpg.6bfb9bd0898c63cdda379a022a6532c0.jpgIMG_20191127_231346.thumb.jpg.4e9d6bb154f6d0e821181a4932167478.jpg

^Yeah, first shot is out of focus, oops.  The Ghulam in the middle was an attempt to mix Hot Orange and Volcanic Orange something like 2ish to 5, and then then it more than I usually do.  That's something like four layers, and it just didn't feel right.  Colour wasn't where I wanted it, and more importantly, I just couldn't get it flowing off the brush how I like.  Unknown if it's due to an old bottle of Hot Orange, it not having been mixed enough, or me just plain not liking how the Game Color line flows.  For now, it's a shrug and move onwards.  The other two (Khawarij on the left, Ghulam on the right) got a 4:3 mix of Volcanic Orange and Rusty Red, which was a colour I was a lot happier with, AND even with just three drops of thinner medium it was flowing how I wanted and liked, hence why the second Ghulam has a lot more painted on him.  Paint mix was start to dry out, so I thinned with water, and a bit too much at that, but I still managed to work on the Khawarij's duster/cloak/whatever-it's-called.

IMG_20191127_231446.thumb.jpg.379c1264a202b1f8ec0f76df30f708fc.jpgIMG_20191127_231459.thumb.jpg.d3666b8f7e256ba33bd7a1795bf8cb3f.jpg

^Speaking of too thinned down, I didn't want to waste the mix (doubly so since it includes a paint that's been discontinued for a year now) so I figured my minotaur barbarian would appreciate a bit more colour, and for the moment it seems to fit. ^_^

Short update today.  I'd write more, but eyes burn from exhaustion, and alarm for work goes off in six hours, so I'm going to get some sleep.

• Like 9

So, over the weekend while the forums went off on a tow day binge-filled excursion (of doom), I did get some painting in.  Shoulder's steadily getting better, but on Friday night I could barely get even twenty minutes in before I was losing the ability to control the brush, so on Saturday I decided to do something a little different...

IMG_20191130_191332.thumb.jpg.9acfe8f10ee0f435d4564ab1a76bc0ee.jpg

^That's right.  If it won't let me paint medium details on a CAV (Silverback) for long, we'll cheat the system and go with a BIG mini I won on Reaper Live!  Bones IV Rauthuros!

IMG_20191130_203220.thumb.jpg.d8cfb9119b8f0549fbc401ebada56914.jpg

^Hmmm, idea mill is rolling...

IMG_20191130_205534.thumb.jpg.925a5cb70472d35d014e78b0b21dd59d.jpg

^Okay, it's really rolling now, doubly so since @Crowley and a few others seem to rather like the idea...

IMG_20191201_000628.thumb.jpg.e69fab57a50d30662c2c9d27a918ba6a.jpg

^And more or less primed black.  This is where I left off, ran out of paint (as well as energy) but got the main body done up.  Tonight is more than likely going to be a bit of drybrushing of grey primer to pull out details, and then, well...  Sword blades left unpainted so I have something to hold onto while I paint the arms, as well as the tight areas that are around where the arms will be.  Base left unpainted so I can, well, hold the mini. ^_^

I suspect it will be something that @Glitterwolf might be proud of, since I have this insane urge to ONLY use Pearl, Iridescent, and Metallic paints on him.  That's right, I'm seriously contemplating making what's going to quite possibly be a fabulous glittery demon...

• Like 9

Well now, time for trying out something completely different....

Paints used:

Reaper Bones 9431 Desert Sand

Reaper Bones 9438 Tempest Grey

Mission Models Pearl Wild Berry

IMG_20191202_225002.thumb.jpg.5ed5785b580d854f57e82a5264ed6c80.jpgIMG_20191202_225019.thumb.jpg.480d264ed72da57cfa33d7d13c1f9859.jpg

^So, first and foremost, two drybrush coats to bring out more detail, so I can actually see what I'm up to.  First was pure Tempest Grey, second was whatever was left of said Tempest Grey with Desert Sand mixed in, at approximately 50/50 eyeballed.

IMG_20191202_225458.thumb.jpg.06254cd1359712a92c7faf579a3d1600.jpg

^I blame the hamster, he was all "do it, join the dark side!" or something.  I lost track after the mention of cookies.  All I know is I've really wanted to give this paint a shot, so figured Wynaut.  I mean, why not. *coughs nervously* Excuse the random Pokémon reference there.  Also, cue background shot of my metallics paint cup, since I only have the one Reaper Minis one...

IMG_20191202_231821.thumb.jpg.2a5025dabe515caa9732b2353c5d1aec.jpgIMG_20191202_231827.thumb.jpg.322802653f8f2e16bf8e03a16343d160.jpg

^First is with the lights aimed right at it, second is with lights off.

So we're at one coat so far, and uhm, well...  Sure, let's see where this goes.  I do like it, but boy is a royal pain to photograph, doubly so with a mobile phone.  I'm definitely curious as to what a second coat will look like, since I'm fairly certain I thinned it too much even with adding in more paint after the initial two brush strokes, and subsequently saying "screw this size 0, I'm swapping up to a flat brush".  I'm sticking with the idea of pretty much only pearls, metallics, and iridescent paints, because I want to see what can be done with such, but I'm more than willing to "sneak" in a few paints that aren't such in order to bring out additional details, or subdue metallic effects in shadowed areas.

I just might have to finally invest in a circular polarizer for my G85.  @Doug Sundseth would a polarizer even help with photographing a pearlized paint?

• Like 7

Your starting this mini inspired me to dig out mine. It wasn't even in my queue. Mossbeard was the big one I was heading to next. Thanks for the inspiration! 

As for yours, I am really looking forward to seeing him take shape. Even if the photos don't capture it all the way, it is still really intriguing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Talae said:

Your starting this mini inspired me to dig out mine. It wasn't even in my queue. Mossbeard was the big one I was heading to next. Thanks for the inspiration! 

As for yours, I am really looking forward to seeing him take shape. Even if the photos don't capture it all the way, it is still really intriguing.

I'm glad to hear such!  Building this one got me puppy eyes from hubby, since he wants one too, but he understands that he'll have to wait until they do a retail release of him.  Having a larger mini to work on also really helped my mind during the weekend, when trying to work on smaller minis was frustrating due to the shoulder.

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I like it so far, anxious to see where it ends.

Same here, if it's this nice after one coat, I'm rather curious what a second one will wind up looking like!  I might have to swing by the local art store to pick up another brush or two though, since I suspect a 6mm (aka 1/4") flat brush will be overkill for the bone structure of the wings and whatnot.

IMG_20191203_000046.thumb.jpg.8b06e083def974233f8d8edb20a713e7.jpg

^And since I didn't post the pic of it last night (well, to the forums), here's a teaser about how the back of the wings are looking right now, with painting lights off.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I just might have to finally invest in a circular polarizer for my G85.  @Doug Sundseth would a polarizer even help with photographing a pearlized paint?

It can help some:

"When light reflects off a nonmetal such as water, plastic, or paint at an angle known as Brewster's angle it is linearly polarized parallel to the surface. At other angles near Brewster's angle it is partially polarized. If light reflects perpendicular to the surface, the reflection will not polarize the light."

http://www.exo.net/~pauld/summer_institute/summer_day8polarization/day8_polarization.html

But because the surface you're looking at is pretty complex, it will only help some. And my experience is that "some" isn't really enough.

Your better bet would be to get a much larger light source (light behind a diffuser like Translum or light bounced off a very large white surface, for instance). Big sources limit the specular highlights on shiny surfaces by not giving them a very hot spot to reflect. This is the same as photographing the subject under an overcast sky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2019 at 11:53 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

Originally wanted to paint tonight, but those bare metal minis are sort of bugging me, not to mention their empty bases, so it's time to get some bases done up.  Oh, shoulder's somewhat better in some ways, but still.  I can't wait to get it looked at and then coaxed into properly healing so it isn't an issue again ^_^;;;

IMG_20191125_223654.thumb.jpg.0819a92ae5c97a3ed76d09ab935a2c73.jpg

^So yup, 2x Azra'il Heavy Infantry, a Lasiq Sniper, an Al'Hawwa Hacker, two Hafza's, and an Odalisque (she's the one crouching in the back behind Mr Smug I don't have a base yet Hafza) got their bases more or less done up.  Once things dry I suspect I'll go a second round on a few things, but that's for another day.  I went with a slightly different look to their bases for several reasons, one being a decent portion of these guys are Qapu Khalqi sectorial mainly, and secondly because I wanted something different than Vallejo rough pumice goop on their bases. :ph34r:

IMG_20191125_224147.thumb.jpg.01b13bb86b437830a22417593ca0a399.jpgIMG_20191125_224205.thumb.jpg.caab9babdaeb849e24026160a25fc382.jpgIMG_20191125_224212.thumb.jpg.0bbfcb415c2e62b0c4f5c0264ec83a6f.jpg

^I kind of wanted to blend the whole "foot on a rock" thing that the Lasiq has going a tad more, so hopefully this conveys it enough and adds to it.  If not, well, guess that means more work on making it all work together... ^_^

IMG_20191125_223714.thumb.jpg.a87984a0cb746deb427cdf63a68f82d9.jpgIMG_20191125_223723.thumb.jpg.3f908b3dfae680dc3a8ed4d26d0ba99f.jpg

^And we have two BattleTech minis that make their appearance.  @Corsair going on a vacation has nothing to do with this mysterious appearance of a mech (IWM 20-611 Ryoken "Stormcrow") as well as two tanks (Schrek PPC Carriers, IWM 20-753).  Sure, they weren't assembled, but they definitely were in my backlog, not to mention that hey, I wanted some BattleTech minis to work on as well.  Schreks still need to be tidied up, and I'm so hoping that the Ryoken stays together because man that was a pain to put together.  So glad that nowhere near as many companies use barebones flat versions of ball and socket joints these days!

Tomorrow is the day I'm somewhat worried about though, since I've seen the workload I have at work already.  Thankfully a good portion of it is just one customer, but we're talking a customer that's three hours of work, and a decent amount of heavy boxes...

The Ryoken/Storm Crow is bad, but the absolute worst Battlemech ever to build was the original Marauder. Hope the 'Crow holds together for you!

• Like 1