Beagle

Halloween ideas?

This thread is a bit self indulgent, so apologies in advance for that.

I've always been a Halloween nut, I absolutely love it.....or at least I absolutely love the idea of it. I was thinking just yesterday about past Halloween experiences, and it occurred to me that in terms of Halloween experiences I've actually done very little. I remember sitting with my granddad in our garden, watching a bonfire when I was about 6 years old, we cooked sausages and scanned the sky for witches on broomsticks, the lights from my parents house were only metres away but it might as well have been 100 miles. Ever since then I've had the Halloween bug.

Six years ago Mrs Beagle and I moved to an idyllic  cottage in the countryside, at this time of year it's quite creepy and has a wonderful atmosphere. The downside is we have no neighbours, and visitors tend to be few and far between, so whilst the house looks great when decorated in Halloween props, there's no-one to show it off to. We don't have kids so kids parties are not an option, and my wife and the dogs are somewhat indifferent about Halloween, they indulge me but certainly wouldn't do anything to mark Halloween if I wasn't here.

In years past I've bought decorations, carved pumpkins, baked cakes, watched horror movies, gone for spooky dog walks in the woods at twilight and burnt my 'Halloween scents' candles all over the house. BUT all of this feels like too much of a solitary experience. This year I managed to persuade my wife to help me host a fancy dress party, but my attempt to sell it to friends and work colleagues was met with lukewarm enthusiasm at best.

At a bit of a loose end this year and with lots of time to kill, the best I could come up with is to decorate the popular dog-walking path in our local woods. I've been growing pumpkins and squashes this year, so have an abundance of potential jack-o-lanterns to festoon the trail with. It's all a bit desperate and unless I'm prepared to hide in the bushes and risk arrest, I'm probably not going to benefit from seeing people's reactions.

So, I suppose the point of this thread is to ask you if you have any secrets for enjoying a solitary Halloween or social events that would work for child-free middle aged types?

Edited by Beagle
  • Like 11

Sorry man, I got nothing, Halloween is almost non-existent over here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

We could hold a live online Halloween painting party via Discord or Hangouts or such (of course you'd have to stay up pretty late for us on this side of the pond to join you).  We could all grab something undead from our Bones boxes and throw paint around and chat and such. I'd come and do it in person, but I am pretty sure that airfare between us is a bit over my budget.

(Weird, on a lark, I just checked airfare from Minneapolis to London over Halloween time; it was only $660 round trip! :huh: I've never seen it lower than $1400.)

• Like 10

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

We could hold a live online Halloween painting party via Discord or Hangouts or such (of course you'd have to stay up pretty late for us on this side of the pond to join you).  We could all grab something undead from our Bones boxes and throw paint around and chat and such. I'd come and do it in person, but I am pretty sure that airfare between us is a bit over my budget.

(Weird, on a lark, I just checked airfare from Minneapolis to London over Halloween time; it was only $660 round trip! :huh: I've never seen it lower than $1400.)

Good idea about the hang-out. I'll mull it over

Come over, I have most of October off of work.

There are plenty of spooky locales in London for Halloween, lot's of haunted pubs and strange alleys leading who knows where......

Edited by Beagle
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Saturday night my dance troupe is performing at an event hosted by a local witchcraft group.  It will probably be more silly than scary.  I know our dancing will be.  The following week friends of ours are having a costume party.  There will be food and adult beverages.  Living in the city we have a different kind of spooky.  I could point you to the biking trail where three people were murdered a few years ago, for instance...

Saturday afternoon one of our GMs is running a halloween themed 1-shot adventure.  That should be fun. 

Probably, seeing as the 31st is a weeknight, we will spend it watching a movie or working on some painting and go to bed early as usual.  Not likely to be any door knockers in our neighborhood.

• Like 4

Like you, I enjoy Halloween, but being unmarried and childless, and in an area with few trick-or-treaters, I don't get to enjoy it as much as I should.

My Halloween tradition is to watch the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I get to do the Time Warp (who doesn't enjoy that?), see a young Tim Curry and Susan Sarandon, and hear some hilarious musical numbers. As ridiculous of a movie as it is, it's a classic. Plus, I get to eat the candy I inevitably buy for the non-existent trick-or-treaters. #winner

Sometimes I follow it up with Army of Darkness so I can play with my undead minis. I wouldn't be opposed to doing a hang-out, if you can handle hearing Rocky Horror in the background.

• Like 5

Our church has had a event every year for a long time, the kids dress up, adults run a lot of games for them, safe bags of candy handed out, hayride, etc. A lot of fun. Also, our village has started a safe Halloween event at the park, where parents can take their kids. Me, I'm just now getting used to NOT checking paroled sex offenders every Halloween, over the years, took several back to prison that night for having contact with kids. So normal fun for the kids is a treat for me.

• Like 7

Were this any other year I'd be spending Halloween at work. I'd get out of work well after the Trick-or-Treating and even after most of the hooliganism.

This year I'm... spending Halloween at work :mellow: I'll get out of work after the Trick-or-Treating and probably in the middle of the hooliganism. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Post pics!

Never prepared for Halloween. I do make sure we don't give away candy (or toothbrushes) by cleaning out the closets. This year it's plastic stars, a CD rack, some old comic books, etc.

• Like 3

Given that most of us on these forums are fans of the fantasy genre I'm surprised there isn't more of a Halloween buy-in. I have an image of America as being very enthusiastic about Halloween. How would you describe Halloween in the States?

• Like 1

My wife and son are going to do a 1k Halloween fun run at the airport tonight in their costumes. Before that we will be going to Boo at the Zoo where my son will be Clifford the big red dog and my daughter will be Emily. We will probably go to one of the local “trunk or treat” events at one of the churches, since we donkt get any trick or treaters in the country. 

There seem to be a lot of these type events in these mid size midwest towns. You may want to see if there is anything like this in your English neighborhood were you could  volunteer to dress up and man a station at an event like this. 

I understand your frustration. We have a neighbor (1 mile away ::D:) that used to decorate his lane with lights, mannequins, jack-o-lanterns and other halloween stuff and hardly anyone would see it because of where we live. 

• Like 3

It's mostly been taken over by candy manufacturers who start in August,  and cheap plastic crap from China.  There's a few events around town, mostly promoted by liquor and beer companies and watched closely by the cops. 

Here we are 2 weeks from the date and Fall/Halloween is already being replaced in stores by Christmas (some of which went up as early as July).  Bah, humbug!

• Sad 4

6 minutes ago, Inarah said:

It's mostly been taken over by candy manufacturers who start in August,  and cheap plastic crap from China.  There's a few events around town, mostly promoted by liquor and beer companies and watched closely by the cops. 

Here we are 2 weeks from the date and Fall/Halloween is already being replaced in stores by Christmas (some of which went up as early as July).  Bah, humbug!

Yeah, the commercialization seems to be the sad part of most holidays in the US anymore. 

It almost make you wonder if the candy companies were behind the hyperbole of homemade candy dangers in the late 70’s and early 80’s. 

Edited by KruleBear
  • Like 4

Trick or Treating is big in my neighborhood.  We a a quiet subdivision where the houses are close enough together and there are only a few ways in to the development so poeple from all over town come by because it's relatively safe.  Of course, my street is a cul de sac that is screened main roads and isn't as well lit as some of the other roads, so it's hit or miss how many trick or treaters come up our street.  

WE used to go all out decorating; multiple jack-o-lanterns, graveyard stones, ghosts on zip lines and so forth.  We just put out pumpkins and a couple of decorations these days.  We also have a little fire pit we set out in the drvieway and sit out there drinking wine and beer while waiting for the kids to come by.  They all like to warm up my the fire and the parents can enjoy a drink while their kids hit the next couple of houses on the street.

• Like 6

Next weekend, we have coffin races and a costume party to attend. 

For Halloween night, we'll have treats at the door and classic movies to watch.

• Like 5