3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

That came out awesome!!

Thanks!  I think so too.  There is still work to do though.  I have to rethink some of the supports on the mini and fill some of the areas that didnt print exactly like i wanted them to (had a couple of areas peel up so they need to be filled with modeling putty)  Specifically, some of the areas connecting the sections are not as strong as i would like them so i need to think about how to keep from breaking up the ship during play while still maintaining the modularization (or decide i am not going to change the frame)  it also uses clips to hold the upper and lower sections together so i will probably need to create a different connection so i dont keep breaking clips every time i want to open the ship.

And, of course, I have to actually paint it!

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 4

Finally made it to the end of this thread! Great little hidden resource of info :winkthumbs:

I bought a Mars Pro last week, and Lasership (Amazon's Uber-like shipping partner) delivered this:

20200624_154923.thumb.jpg.81762d93e3b1b9b78cbe0ec0033a1185.jpg

Most likely dropped in place - I knew something was up when I got the 'delivered' notice with no picture attached. Just got around to checking it out, and sure enough it's DOA. Look like it's just the power brick, but considering the delivery condition I'm just returning it for a new one from the big river - no need to risk anything else being wrong. Oh well, looks like my weekend just freed up :-)

Also got an Ender 3 Pro coming next week, along with another set of new things to learn.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
23 minutes ago, IgwanaRob said:

Finally made it to the end of this thread! Great little hidden resource of info :winkthumbs:

I bought a Mars Pro last week, and Lasership (Amazon's Uber-like shipping partner) delivered this:

20200624_154923.thumb.jpg.81762d93e3b1b9b78cbe0ec0033a1185.jpg

Most likely dropped in place - I knew something was up when I got the 'delivered' notice with no picture attached. Just got around to checking it out, and sure enough it's DOA. Look like it's just the power brick, but considering the delivery condition I'm just returning it for a new one from the big river - no need to risk anything else being wrong. Oh well, looks like my weekend just freed up :-)

Also got an Ender 3 Pro coming next week, along with another set of new things to learn.

Congrats on joining the 3d print at home club!! Sucks about the delivery thou. As much as drivers drop off, you'd think they'd have that part mastered by now..............:rock:

• Like 5

Welcome to the club.  Crappy about the delivery.....I'm finding Amazon up here is using "alternate" couriers a lot now.  I still haven't figured out when BNI delivers, but it is always outside before I get up in the morning. And now we have an new one "Intelcom Courrier Canada Inc.", who have only delivered one thing so far, but it was just some guy in a t-shirt and jeans in a minivan.  I have two packages coming with them on Monday (allegedly) and one is a new desk chair, so we'll see how they do with bigger stuff.....

• Like 4

Well preparing my first 8+ hr print job. It's a "Gibbering Orb" off thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3733118

With the way work is these days, it'll definitely be done by the time I get home in the morning. I just hope it doesn't fail. At the most yah I'll need to clean the vat but I do have Reaper's Faceless Horror (which is a nice mini) as back up. I'm trying for a all resin printed miniatures for my first DND game back.

Funny thing is, in the game I was a player before the pandemic hit one of the players was playing a monk & some reason, some how, he got onto a story of how his character ended up chasing female tabaxi while smoking the opium at the monastery. We all got a big kick out of it as he was doing it in character. I found something for him:

720X720-catpr.jpg

I'll print her up after the orb prints in the morning & give it to him, Monday night.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

its probably in this thread somewhere and i missed it but is there a suggested primer that will actually hide the print lines on a filament printer or am i going to  be working those lines into my paintjob?  In particular, I am looking at the smaller details like control panels or heavy contours where sanding is not really a viable option

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Welcome to the club.  Crappy about the delivery.....I'm finding Amazon up here is using "alternate" couriers a lot now.  I still haven't figured out when BNI delivers, but it is always outside before I get up in the morning. And now we have an new one "Intelcom Courrier Canada Inc.", who have only delivered one thing so far, but it was just some guy in a t-shirt and jeans in a minivan.  I have two packages coming with them on Monday (allegedly) and one is a new desk chair, so we'll see how they do with bigger stuff.....

Intelcom is owned by TransForce, so there's at least that.  Their tracking is... better than it was two years ago (as in the website actually works), and you typically get a notification that they're three hours or so away, with your position in queue.  Up here I'd describe them as "okay".  Not as predictable as my UPS guy (15 minute window shortly after lunch, or just after 1pm), or FedEx (almost always within a 5 minute window in the morning), but still.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

its probably in this thread somewhere and i missed it but is there a suggested primer that will actually hide the print lines on a filament printer or am i going to  be working those lines into my paintjob?  In particular, I am looking at the smaller details like control panels or heavy contours where sanding is not really a viable option

Badger has a two part system that is supposed to smooth out the lines.  I haven't tried it yet myself.  Maybe someone else has?

• Like 2

Gibbering Orb came out great!! It'll find a home in tomorrow's game for sure! Currently printing off some based crawling claws (& feet) minis I found on thingverse, awhile back. I'll compare them to the ones I have printed out, then it'll be the kitten "of the night".

@Jasper_the_2nd She is part of a set (she is a freebie) from  Pollygrimm on myminifactory. She is under "Catfolk Courtesan GIrl"

The 3d primer paint from Badger is called 3d Prime & is basically Stylenrez without the flexing material added in. Since 3d prints don't really need to bend, it was removed. (Reminds me I should try the stuff I got at LVO this year.......)

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, haldir said:

Gibbering Orb came out great!! It'll find a home in tomorrow's game for sure! Currently printing off some based crawling claws (& feet) minis I found on thingverse, awhile back. I'll compare them to the ones I have printed out, then it'll be the kitten "of the night".

@Jasper_the_2nd She is part of a set (she is a freebie) from  Pollygrimm on myminifactory. She is under "Catfolk Courtesan GIrl"

The 3d primer paint from Badger is called 3d Prime & is basically Stylenrez without the flexing material added in. Since 3d prints don't really need to bend, it was removed. (Reminds me I should try the stuff I got at LVO this year.......)

I will have to go look at the cat, its cute. 

I never really thought of stylenrez as a filling primer.  It tends to be really thin and show every detail.  In most cases this would be an excellent feature but with the prints i am trying to hide the layers.  was just curious if there was something out there that did a good gap fill. 

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I never really thought of stylenrez as a filling primer.  It tends to be really thin and show every detail.  In most cases this would be an excellent feature but with the prints i am trying to hide the layers.  was just curious if there was something out there that did a good gap fill. 

3D Prime comes with a "Translucent Surface Smoother (Striation Filler)" bottle as well as the primer(s).  You put a 1-3 coats of that on (as needed) them prime with the actual coloured primer part after.  I did a basic test with some landing pads a while ago, but haven't primed anything filament printed since.

It is kind of like putting sealer on to smooth a rough spot on a mini you are painting, then painting over it.

• Like 3