Anne

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

And what's wrong about having 2 resin printers?   

I would have jumped at the opportunity for that price... 

Nothing :)  I just dont know where I'd put one resin printer, much less a second one.. plus I'd worry there was something else wrong.. like, if it just needs FEP why are they selling it?

Is it worth buying a used one + fep for a total of $120 when I can get a brand new one for $189?  Now, once i have my craft area set up.. I'd definitely find room for #2..

Edited by SamuraiJack
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

Nothing :)  I just dont know where I'd put one resin printer, much less a second one.. plus I'd worry there was something else wrong.. like, if it just needs FEP why are they selling it?

Is it worth buying a used one + fep for a total of $120 when I can get a brand new one for $189?  Now, once i have my craft area set up.. I'd definitely find room for #2..

If you put it that way I agree.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

You'd be surprised on how many 3d printers are out there cause the person that bought them couldn't figure them out enough to get it going. I think allot of people think 3d printers are gonna work like a regular printer, ie plug & play.

So I'm out of IPA. I've been using Mean Green cleaner for post clean up but I'm not sure I like it as much. It's great for cleaning off the build plate. I do have 2 types of MG. One is green & the other is purple (the purple one is what I've been using for the plate cleaning). I did use that one for post clean up so we shall see. I have been using the green one, maybe different formulas, who knows.

Gonna re-size my undead ogre. I just need to  find a good size for him. I think what I'll do is go grab one of the Bobby Jackson Reaper ogres, measure the height & then use that for this one. I like those 3 ogres & they generally are my go to ogres. Top of this guy's head right now is 60mm

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, haldir said:

You'd be surprised on how many 3d printers are out there cause the person that bought them couldn't figure them out enough to get it going. I think allot of people think 3d printers are gonna work like a regular printer, ie plug & play.

So I'm out of IPA. I've been using Mean Green cleaner for post clean up but I'm not sure I like it as much. It's great for cleaning off the build plate. I do have 2 types of MG. One is green & the other is purple (the purple one is what I've been using for the plate cleaning). I did use that one for post clean up so we shall see. I have been using the green one, maybe different formulas, who knows.

Gonna re-size my undead ogre. I just need to  find a good size for him. I think what I'll do is go grab one of the Bobby Jackson Reaper ogres, measure the height & then use that for this one. I like those 3 ogres & they generally are my go to ogres. Top of this guy's head right now is 60mm

I now use methylated Alcohol ( Spiritus) works fine for cleaning the build plate as well as dunking the minis in before I dunk them in hot water.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, haldir said:

hey, for a few years I resembled that remark!  3d printers are very much still bleeding edge technology.  You have to have some solid familiarity with how the equipment works and how to fix what breaks.  They can be a tad fragile too.  Since my restart I have had a few other weird quirks showing up (sticking to the bed, both not enough and too much have been issues.)  there seems to be an expectation that the equipment will just work, and its not that easy.

Also I don't think that a lot of people see the cost of using the equipment.  the resin or filament still costs money and a number of owners think that they will be able to print tons of things for no investment.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 5:13 AM, Gadgetman! said:

If it's water, iI'll break in the Prusa also. 

You need to dry out the filament before you can use it. 

A dedicated filament dryer is the best, but a food dryer can be useed.

(Many filament driers are just modified food driers)

This is true.  The filament is very brittle I will see if drying it out will help.  The Prusa uses direct drive (no boden tube) so there are a lot less stresses on the filament than the Ender where the filament makes two 90 degree arcs between the spool and the print head.  I am able to print with this material with the prusa, although I have to watch it as it may snap at the start or end of the print when the head moves rapidly but I cant print anything with this resin in the ender. 

Either way, the remaining material is going into the dryer for a few weeks to see if I can make it work again.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I now use methylated Alcohol ( Spiritus) works fine for cleaning the build plate as well as dunking the minis in before I dunk them in hot water.

I may have to try that. I did find something like 4 lt of IPA for like 44 US dollars. It'd have to be shipped but at least it was free shipping. Ok. undead ogre new size is around 50mm. It's gonna take a little over 10 hrs to print out. Sucker is even hollowed!!

31 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

hey, for a few years I resembled that remark!  3d printers are very much still bleeding edge technology.  You have to have some solid familiarity with how the equipment works and how to fix what breaks.  They can be a tad fragile too.  Since my restart I have had a few other weird quirks showing up (sticking to the bed, both not enough and too much have been issues.)  there seems to be an expectation that the equipment will just work, and its not that easy.

Also I don't think that a lot of people see the cost of using the equipment.  the resin or filament still costs money and a number of owners think that they will be able to print tons of things for no investment

Oh I was the same way, but I never committed to buying the equipment. It wasn't until talking with Rastl at ReaperCon over the years where I decided, "hmmmm, maybe I try it." I knew I wasn't going to get a Prusa due to the price but when I saw the Ender 3 at 180, I knew I had have it.

Granted, after my blob of death incident, I haven't done anything with the Ender 3. The dust on it, it gonna require it's own step when I re-assemble it this weekend! (finally vacation, well if I actually get it, we shall see). I've bought upgrades for it but I'll attach them a item at a time, just so I don't screw something up & I have no idea what I did.

Well. avoided a disaster. I started up the print & it was close to halfway before I noticed, no build plate was attached!!!! Stop! & attached the plate...

• Like 6

3 hours ago, haldir said:

At least Resin printers are much more plug & play!

As @Glitterwolf said, Methylated Spirits work well enough for post print clean up, I personally have stopped cleaning the build plate too much, just wiping it down with paper towel if I'm going to be starting another print immediately, only cleaning it down with IPA when I won't be printing for a few days, and then again before I start.

• Like 5

Been kinda busy lately, so I haven’t been able to post any pictures of my 3d printing adventures but here are the results thus far.

This was my second run with my printer, these are a couple characters I made with hero forge.

448A3E40-BF39-4F20-95D3-E639D92EA45D.jpeg.fccdb6c2e1adc89bfd4c32d2b0719f4f.jpeg

CC587E3F-CE22-4247-A4D9-BCB18D53A8AD.jpeg.08fa4c665e8cbda00af47b1e162b48eb.jpeg

This is my third run all in 6mm scale, and I got the turret for that tank to print this time.

2757C54E-1B68-4AB7-B3B2-794DB2B03104.jpeg.84fdc8b88ddb5b19f1668867021ff3ee.jpeg

size comparison with my Tyros tank destroyer. 

BA9112AB-E827-40F1-A567-FA959FEC464F.jpeg.f75bdd53babd596706c714a4d194866e.jpeg
C3C8CEB0-794E-4787-9427-D709456A8721.jpeg.e06c7ce8a690e9712f913f0cc206fb2b.jpeg

My fourth run didn’t stay on the build plate. Apparently I didn’t get the plate clean enough so now I have a piece of flat plastic. I gave it another go(after giving the plate a thorough cleaning). It is hollow so I’m letting it drain. Here are the results. 

EC1B776C-6CA2-47B5-B7C1-0FC2DC088547.jpeg.6007d54f160baa1e863096430e8bd407.jpeg144DB8E5-F486-435A-B368-089D7A31981B.jpeg.02baba9cea246db2de13d1ef931aa4a0.jpeg

Going to need to go do some painting now, otherwise I’ll end up printing myself under like Glitter! 

• Like 4

resin has its own set of issues.  you say plug and play up until the first set of supports don't hold, then you are onto the filtering and fishing expeditions, you have to double cure the beastie, not overcure them, not under cure them and hope you didn't actually leave a blob of liquid resin trapped in a gap to seep out later.  mechanically, the system is easier to use.  program wise and chemically, there is still a lot of learning to be done.  its not a bad thing but if you don't know what you are getting into, it can get pretty intimidating pretty quickly.  neither system is at the 'pull it out of the box and start making unlimited minis' stage.

But after all, that's sort of where the fun is...  there is no real challenge or satisfaction in operating a laser printer.  there is a significant wow factor in completing a large 3d print successfully.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3