3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

resin has its own set of issues.  you say plug and play up until the first set of supports don't hold, then you are onto the filtering and fishing expeditions, you have to double cure the beastie, not overcure them, not under cure them and hope you didn't actually leave a blob of liquid resin trapped in a gap to seep out later.  mechanically, the system is easier to use.  program wise and chemically, there is still a lot of learning to be done.  its not a bad thing but if you don't know what you are getting into, it can get pretty intimidating pretty quickly.  neither system is at the 'pull it out of the box and start making unlimited minis' stage.

But after all, that's sort of where the fun is...  there is no real challenge or satisfaction in operating a laser printer.  there is a significant wow factor in completing a large 3d print successfully.

Definitely

Laser printers are only challenging when it comes to cleaning up after toner leaks everywhere.

• Like 3

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! Hey! I actually have a can of Denatured Alcohol! I thought I did, as I recall using some in my airbrushing, many years ago.

I may have to try it out on the ogre zombie, that is printing right now. I've got about 4 or 5 hrs left in the job for it.

• Like 4

Hmmm, Facebook is telling me that AnyCubic has a was/cure machine - and gave me a coupon for $20 off - WSEA3H96VVG4

image.thumb.png.75ade9f7987b0c6df6a75b8c71422e7a.png

$150 after the coupon code is used.

Use the code at check out.

Not providing a link to AnyCubic, so hopefully I am dodging the commerce issue.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Hmmm, Facebook is telling me that AnyCubic has a was/cure machine - and gave me a coupon for $20 off - WSEA3H96VVG4

image.thumb.png.75ade9f7987b0c6df6a75b8c71422e7a.png

$150 after the coupon code is used.

Use the code at check out.

Not providing a link to AnyCubic, so hopefully I am dodging the commerce issue.

The Auld Grump

My one concern with this system is the curing. You can attach the plate directly to this & let it wash & cure, all in one step (or 2) but that means the supports will be harder to remove afterwards. I don't see that being a helpful step.

Probably too late but Elegoo has one for around 50 bucks on the big winding river site. It's more or less a can with UV lights in it. For now I'll take the planter box with tinfoil on the inside with a cardboard flap my daughter made me for Father's Day this year.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, haldir said:

My one concern with this system is the curing. You can attach the plate directly to this & let it wash & cure, all in one step (or 2) but that means the supports will be harder to remove afterwards. I don't see that being a helpful step.

Probably too late but Elegoo has one for around 50 bucks on the big winding river site. It's more or less a can with UV lights in it. For now I'll take the planter box with tinfoil on the inside with a cardboard flap my daughter made me for Father's Day this year.

Oh, we don't have a resin printer (yet), so I did not jump on it.

Our first printer will be the Creality 6 SE. ::): 

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, haldir said:

It's actually not all in one step, you're supposed to use it to rinse, then remove the tank and put the model back in to cure.

Here's my new cure box, printed it on my ender and then lined it with foil and a uv strip light. it works fantastic. I even have it plugged in to a smart outlet and a routine programmed on my robotic overlord so I all have to do is beseech her to 'run a cure cycle' and I get 6 minutes, which works pretty well for most of my prints.

IMG_20200708_225204411.thumb.jpg.9d1d4276c077f5f485ea4bd844b93a02.jpgIMG_20200708_225149090.thumb.jpg.040710a814bda74bd397667b1a215f45.jpg

• Like 7

Welp... first foray into 3D resin printing didn't go so well. It looks like it stuck to the plate... until it didn't. Went and checked it about halfway in and the build plate was happily doing it's thing with nothing stuck to it. I've cleaned it up (after making a mess of it) I managed to get the flat bits of resin off of the FEP without doing any damage that I can tell. I am going to try some tweaks and then maybe mess with this on the weekend when I have time to work out the kinks.

• Sad 6

10 minutes ago, Illithar said:

Welp... first foray into 3D resin printing didn't go so well. It looks like it stuck to the plate... until it didn't. Went and checked it about halfway in and the build plate was happily doing it's thing with nothing stuck to it. I've cleaned it up (after making a mess of it) I managed to get the flat bits of resin off of the FEP without doing any damage that I can tell. I am going to try some tweaks and then maybe mess with this on the weekend when I have time to work out the kinks.

Had a similar problem myself on my first and fourth prints, I think it has something to do with not getting the build plate clean enough, since the failures printed fine after I gave the plate a thorough cleaning. Maybe that is your problem. 
Welcome to the club!

• Like 4

Sigh, honeymoon is over after 2 kg of filament I seem to be having some adhesion problems on my ender.  The flexible plate feels much smoother than it did so I either have some buildup or I have rubbed the nubbies off.  It's not a big deal I know that soaking it with solvent or using painters tape will being it back, but it's been one of those days.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Illithar said:

• Build plate should be clean but if you used IPA on the FEP also, better wipe that off a bit before printing. You want the model to stick to the build plate not to the FEP.
  • Check your supports, my first big fail was a medium sized mini ( giant snake let's say troll sized) I supported it with many light supports and it came off I only had a flat resin layer. It needed medium supports at the least.
  • Presupported? Check for islands anyway! Not all are perfect.
  • Watch videos on the subject from 3Dprintingpro on youtube, I learned a lot in a short time from those.

8 hours ago, Standifer said:

Going to need to go do some painting now, otherwise I’ll end up printing myself under like Glitter! 

*** Emerges from under a pile of resin minis***

I have no idea what you're talking about!

@TheAuldGrump I cure my minis under a cheap naildryer or in the sun.

I find these curing stations overpriced for what they do.

Also..clean the print ( I use Methylated alcohol others use IPA or Mean Green) then dunk it in a jar filled with really warm water, let soak a few minutes and the supports are easier to remove.

If you cure the print with the supports they will be hard and more trouble to get off, probably more risk of damaging the print.

WEAR NITRIL GLOVES!!!!

And a mask when you're working over the VAT with resin in it.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

• Build plate should be clean but if you used IPA on the FEP also, better wipe that off a bit before printing. You want the model to stick to the build plate not to the FEP.
  • Check your supports, my first big fail was a medium sized mini ( giant snake let's say troll sized) I supported it with many light supports and it came off I only had a flat resin layer. It needed medium supports at the least.
  • Watch videos on the subject from 3Dprintingpro on youtube, I learned a lot in a short time from those.

This was actually the very first print with the printer, using the test print file it comes with. It is two 'Rook' sculpts. Looking at them now I can see some of the details, the print got maybe 3 mm in before it popped off the plate.

I may tackle it again tomorrow night.

• Like 4

Just now, Illithar said:

This was actually the very first print with the printer, using the test print file it comes with. It is two 'Rook' sculpts. Looking at them now I can see some of the details, the print got maybe 3 mm in before it popped off the plate.

Also, look at the recommend settings for the resin you're using.

Sometimes even a resin from the same brand but in a different colour, will need some adjustments.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

It's actually not all in one step, you're supposed to use it to rinse, then remove the tank and put the model back in to cure.

Here's my new cure box, printed it on my ender and then lined it with foil and a uv strip light. it works fantastic. I even have it plugged in to a smart outlet and a routine programmed on my robotic overlord so I all have to do is beseech her to 'run a cure cycle' and I get 6 minutes, which works pretty well for most of my prints.

IMG_20200708_225204411.thumb.jpg.9d1d4276c077f5f485ea4bd844b93a02.jpgIMG_20200708_225149090.thumb.jpg.040710a814bda74bd397667b1a215f45.jpg

Why I said 2 steps. :poke:

You're still dealing with supports still being attached to your project.

Nice work on the curing oven. My daughter found what I believe is a ceramic "cover" of sorts for a Kleenex box or possibly for a small plant. Whatever it is, it works for me. I will admit, the undead ogre is testing the heights in it thou. I have a turntable like the one you have in yours in it. (btw does your spin without batteries? Mine doesn't, even thou it suppose to have solar panels)

Speaking of the ogre zombie!! I didn't take a nap after coming home from work this morning, shockingly only 40 mins of OT yesterday. I fell asleep around 1030 pm or so but woke up like at 1130. So I came downstairs & it was done! Supports were a pain to get off, as they were really stuck to the base (one of those I'm gonna have to sand the hell out of it, to smooth it flat). Denatured alcohol seems to work pretty good. My can was so old that the plastic around the nozzle/cap crumbled after I popped it open & tried to close it. So I poured what I could into my tub before taking the can outside for trash.

The mini felt clean after letting it float in the DA vs the Mean Green cleaner. So in it went into the box for curing. I tried a different setting & I don't know if it's the size but details are allot better then before. I'm gonna try in the morning, a human size figure & see. 

33 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

*** Emerges from under a pile of resin minis***

I have no idea what you're talking about!

@TheAuldGrump I cure my minis under a cheap naildryer or in the sun.

I find these curing stations overpriced for what they do.

Also..clean the print ( I use Methylated alcohol others use IPA or Mean Green) then dunk it in a jar filled with really warm water, let soak a few minutes and the supports are easier to remove.

If you cure the print with the supports they will be hard and more trouble to get off, probably more risk of damaging the print.

WEAR NITRIL GLOVES!!!!

And a mask when you're working over the VAT with resin in it.

I will add to the gloves & mask, my left eye was red & itchy & I read that there are gases inside the chamber when you open the lid (or take off the cover, depending on brand) so I've started to wear googles I got at Harbor Freight. I don't know if that was it, but my eye isn't red or itchy anymore.

To add to my curing box, my UV source is a light I got off River Site. Just type up UV lamp & look for the pics of lamp shining on objects like dentures. :rock:

11 minutes ago, Illithar said:

Is your bed level? That could be your problem.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Illithar said:

Failures in resin are almost always 1 of 3 things.

1. insufficient supports - not an issue here, that rook should print unsupported.

2. Bad profile - the real problem with a pre-sliced demo file, if your machine is a little slower on the cure, or you have a resin with slightly different properties this may not work. If you're using the resin that came with the machine, this is likely not the problem as most of those companies over-expose these demo prints to prevent failures.

3. plate needs to be leveled - it's almost never correctly leveled out of the box and resin printers, especially the less expensive ones (longer orange, elegoo mars, anycubic photon, and others) are very prone to going out of level.  Youtube your particular printer and learn to love the leveling process. For new printers, I've seen that this is the most common cause of failure.

other things have been mentioned might be worth checking too but I'd go through those 3 first.

11 hours ago, Illithar said:

After reading this, it sounds like #2.  If you can tweak the exposure times on your printer as the print starts I'd turn up the base layer time by 10-20 seconds.

12 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Sigh, honeymoon is over after 2 kg of filament I seem to be having some adhesion problems on my ender.  The flexible plate feels much smoother than it did so I either have some buildup or I have rubbed the nubbies off.  It's not a big deal I know that soaking it with solvent or using painters tape will being it back, but it's been one of those days.

that's odd... printing PLA I assume? I've been through 4 and my flexi plate is still going strong, seems like those usually fail by cracking or the magnets giving out.  
cleaning it with IPA is probably what it needs, or it could be levelling ("Level your plate again" is 3d printing support's equilivent of tech supports "Let's try a reboot".  It's really does seem to fix a lot of issues....)

• Like 5

So I joined anther Patreon today, Epics 'N' Stuffs Miniatures. They made the ogre zombie. I kinda wish I would have looked at the patreon page before purchasing, ha ha (ogre Z is part of their welcome pack). The reason why I joined was simply the amount of products you got for becoming a member. Like 2 months worth of offerings (& those offerings are like at least 10 minis each) + some TMNT inspired figures. I backed a Patreon recently cause I love the sculptors style (his warforged are some of my favorite figures) but he is taking a break next month so who knows if he'll return or not.

I love this figure. I was going to purchase it today, but she is part of this month's offering:

1.jpg?token-time=1595529188&token-hash=D

• Like 5