3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

Funny, what happens when you forget about files & go snooping through file names. I backed one of Evan Caruth's 3d file KS awhile back (the Egyptian/desert one) & there was a rug of smothering in there, a personal suggestion I might add. While my first print on the printer was a animated rug, I liked the EC3D one (plus again, he added it to the KS after my comment of having something like that) so it's printing right now. Anther 7+ hr print, no worries. I've noticed the large figure files are around 8 hrs so but I'm a little surprised it's got a long time due to well it's a upright rug. ha ha.

• Like 4

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Houston, we have liftoff.

I got home and did a deep clean of the FEP and the build plate, also re-leveled the build plate. Then I hopped onto my computer and opened up the rook file in Chitubox and tweaked it a bit. I adjusted the exposure time for both the bottom layers as well as the rest 80 seconds for the bottom and 8 for the rest with a layer thickness of 0.05mm. This print is also a lot smaller than the test I did before, it's only 28mm tall. I'm actually pretty amazed, I don't see any stepping at all! Although, that might change with a more detailed print.

I do have one question: the manual says I can leave the leftover resin in there for up to 48 hours, otherwise I should drain it now. Is that really safe? It's not in direct sunlight, but the room does get some light through the curtains during the day. (it's an Elegoo Mars Pro if that matters). Either way, I may leave in there overnight and setup a print tomorrow morning to go while I am at work.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice!

IMG_20200709_195836_9.jpg

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Illithar said:

I do have one question: the manual says I can leave the leftover resin in there for up to 48 hours, otherwise I should drain it now. Is that really safe? It's not in direct sunlight, but the room does get some light through the curtains during the day. (it's an Elegoo Mars Pro if that matters). Either way, I may leave in there overnight and setup a print tomorrow morning to go while I am at work.

There's a lot of factors here.  The room I have mine in has a north facing window but we get a lot of reflected light from the house next door. I've left resin in my vat for almost a month with the only thing wrong was it needing a stir before the next print.  Other people have reported that resin left in the vat for long periods of time can get thicker, but I've not seen that. Some people report resin left in the vat for extended periods can leak around the FEP due to capillary action but i've also not had that problem.  You could consider me like the guy who 'never has problems with rattlecan paint' though, and it may be just that things work out well for me.

I guess it comes down to the intensity of the light. IS it direct or mostly reflected.  If you have some additional opaque cover you can put over the printer I would think that on top of the uv filter in the cover would be almost as good as keeping it in the bottle....

In other news, did my first print with the water washable, a couple of bases.  So far it seems pretty equilivent in detail to my siraya, though it's black instead of grey so it could just be differences in colors. Trying to get a good basecoat on each to see if I can tell the difference. 

If I can get the same performance out of the water washable at the same price, then I save on IPA, even if I have to dispose of the water the same way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

that's odd... printing PLA I assume? I've been through 4 and my flexi plate is still going strong, seems like those usually fail by cracking or the magnets giving out.  
cleaning it with IPA is probably what it needs, or it could be levelling ("Level your plate again" is 3d printing support's equilivent of tech supports "Let's try a reboot".  It's really does seem to fix a lot of issues....)

Well after a failed run with just painters tape (the PLA stuck to the tape well.  The tape curled off the flex pad :blink: I figured I still had some build up so I took an old sock, applied liberal amounts of IPA and scrubbed and the adhesion approved dramatically.  Not perfect but enough for me to get a print out and tell me I'm moving in the right direction.  

A 4 run of catan hexes covers about 80% of the bed.  And I started a new dragon on the Prusa in shiny color shift filament (rainbow dragons run strong)  besides Mrs Rex snarfed my Joy dragon for her office....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Westfalia has launched a 3D site - with a free mini every month for signing up for their newsletter.

The Auld Grump

Yup, Gadgetman mentioned this last month or May. Good stuff so far.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Illithar said:

Houston, we have liftoff.

I got home and did a deep clean of the FEP and the build plate, also re-leveled the build plate. Then I hopped onto my computer and opened up the rook file in Chitubox and tweaked it a bit. I adjusted the exposure time for both the bottom layers as well as the rest 80 seconds for the bottom and 8 for the rest with a layer thickness of 0.05mm. This print is also a lot smaller than the test I did before, it's only 28mm tall. I'm actually pretty amazed, I don't see any stepping at all! Although, that might change with a more detailed print.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice!

I keep it in the VAT.

I apply:

• The Cover on the Elegoo Mars
  • A grey garbage bag over that
  • A few black foam boards around it and on top of it.

This way it's practically the same as keeping it in the bottle.

So far no problems.

The longest I haven't printed and left it in is about a week.

I guess if I won't print for longer than a week I might filter and put it back in the bottle.

Also, apply Kapton Tape to the edges of the screen so IF it leaks it won't pour into the machine.

Not have had caterpillary action, I don't fill the VAT higher than about a third.

If I printed and want to print again I refill a little to that point.

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Westfalia has launched a 3D site - with a free mini every month for signing up for their newsletter.

The Auld Grump

I signed up, thx!

Not really into Halflings, but who knows what will come next, and they did mention halfling enemies as well.

Never turn down free minis!!!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Illithar said:

First print looks good!

I leave resin in my Mars all the time...current stuff has been since Sunday? maybe.  Work has sucked this week so I haven't felt like even printing stuff....

Mine is sitting afoot from  window, with a roll type blind down, but a big gap since the curtains are still in the bag from when we moved in November (I getting to it....shesh!). Room is east facing so gets some direct sun this time of year in the evening, and the normal lights are on all day, since it is my office.  I do nothing but leave the lid on, and have had zero problems so far, with leaving it up to two weeks between prints.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

There's a lot of factors here.  The room I have mine in has a north facing window but we get a lot of reflected light from the house next door. I've left resin in my vat for almost a month with the only thing wrong was it needing a stir before the next print.  Other people have reported that resin left in the vat for long periods of time can get thicker, but I've not seen that. Some people report resin left in the vat for extended periods can leak around the FEP due to capillary action but i've also not had that problem.  You could consider me like the guy who 'never has problems with rattlecan paint' though, and it may be just that things work out well for me.

I guess it comes down to the intensity of the light. IS it direct or mostly reflected.  If you have some additional opaque cover you can put over the printer I would think that on top of the uv filter in the cover would be almost as good as keeping it in the bottle....

In other news, did my first print with the water washable, a couple of bases.  So far it seems pretty equilivent in detail to my siraya, though it's black instead of grey so it could just be differences in colors. Trying to get a good basecoat on each to see if I can tell the difference. 

If I can get the same performance out of the water washable at the same price, then I save on IPA, even if I have to dispose of the water the same way.

I am using Elegoo's water washable resin myself. I'll be doing a print of a proper mini tonight so we'll see how it does with something more detailed than the little Rook I printed.

• Like 2

Anymore, my minis consist of just a primer coat & then a wash. About all I have time for with my weekly game. Depending,on the mini, I may put a base coat if I can spray paint it (like lots of flesh or plate armor, etc, etc).

• Like 3

Printed my first mini, Vulpeana Whitebranch from Artisan Guild. It was a partial failure, I tried printing all of the 'parts' for her: the her, the fox, and the base. The Base failed pretty early on. It was the supports, although... in hindsight I don't know why I did supports on it, I don't think it is needed (The other two were pre-supported). But, Vulpeana and the fox came out great. I thought the face may have been messed up, but putting a bit of primer over it and it's actually fine.

I'm honestly kind of surprised how well these prints are turning out. I am going to print some more stuff tomorrow, as well as do a retry on the base.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Illithar said:

Printed my first mini, Vulpeana Whitebranch from Artisan Guild. It was a partial failure, I tried printing all of the 'parts' for her: the her, the fox, and the base. The Base failed pretty early on. It was the supports, although... in hindsight I don't know why I did supports on it, I don't think it is needed (The other two were pre-supported). But, Vulpeana and the fox came out great. I thought the face may have been messed up, but putting a bit of primer over it and it's actually fine.

I'm honestly kind of surprised how well these prints are turning out. I am going to print some more stuff tomorrow, as well as do a retry on the base.

After a failed print always filter the resin.

Uncured stuff floating around will cause next prints to fail.

I think you already heard that, but just to make sure.

Watch 3Dproprinting on Youtube about supports,

You will learn a lot from him, he's the guy that does the presupports for Artisan Guild

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1