3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, woke up or at least an hour or so after I woke up this morning I came downstairs to see a partial failure on a 8 hr mini I printed overnight. I printed off one of the ogress from AG. I went with the single melee pose. I put everything on the plate (body, R & L hands & her base) & everything came out great except the base. It must have broken off as it was probably 80% done, it was sticking out of the vat & when I cleaned the vat, it was printed but looked like it smashed into a wall. ^_^

I'm gonna call this one a success as my prints are getting clearer. I pretty sure my supports were too thin to hold the base (it was at a 45-49% angle). Again, no worries the mini printed, I can always print the base later, which I will cause what did print, I really like. I think I found a setting that is working towards a perfect print. I've got the exposure up to a 11 (bottom is 60). I'm comfortable with that right now but I still wanna work on getting it right. 

• Like 3

Just in case anyone wants to contribute, or is just looking for a cool anthropomorphic sci-fi cat marine medic type fig (cause who isn't?!).

The folks at Reptilian Overlords (no link as its a commercial site, - and .com if you are looking....) need some emergency surgery for their fur-baby, so have put up this cool cat:

medicat.png

as a pay what you like on their site to help raise some funds to help with vet bills.

• Like 6

Got an influx of dragons today.  Part one of an STL kickstarter came in... so far templates for 15 dragons with another 30 dragons and other sculpts on the way.  Currently stls without supported resin parts so far but that's coming

• Like 6
On 7/10/2020 at 12:26 PM, Illithar said:

I am using Elegoo's water washable resin myself. I'll be doing a print of a proper mini tonight so we'll see how it does with something more detailed than the little Rook I printed.

Resin minis can get pretty detailed. Okay REALLY REALLY DETAILED.

Case in point

This is a Mech I printed today in 6mm scale.

C85363EA-E62C-4FD6-8F4D-41179BB6B313.jpeg.1eccedca0b43658921b3296622e1695b.jpeg

FC6016A4-BCC1-43F9-B20F-1FDA01DDBE17.jpeg.b79963c6fbf26e5b036b9e9bc16e951d.jpeg

The small supports are as big as the antennas. 

20 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Watch 3Dproprinting on Youtube about supports,

I second that recommendation, I use his support settings with great success.

2 hours ago, Illithar said:

I had an interesting misprint happen today. The rest of the print is fine, but the right arm is... flattened. I suspect this is probably a software issue as the rest of the print is fine.

IMG_20200711_175158_5.jpg

If I were to make a guess I would say that the arm needed a support there. I’ve heard 

that flat parts like that are a result of an island not being supported properly.

Edited by Standifer
  • Like 7

I guess the first question would be, What are you wanting to print? FDM printers work great for terrain and larger progects from what I can gather. Resin printers do terrific on miniatures, but not so well on really big one piece projects. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Standifer said:

I guess the first question would be, What are you wanting to print? FDM printers work great for terrain and larger progects from what I can gather. Resin printers do terrific on miniatures, but not so well on really big one piece projects. 

Yeah, see, I started just to ask about that: Is it a two-printer kind of situation? Printing terrain seems like it would be a really big deal (for me), as it meets a need the market doesn't already cover as well, but obviously being able to print smaller, more detailed figures is cool af.

• Like 2

Ah, but 3d printing/files has undead of various D&D races. Something the physical miniature market severely lacks unfortunately. I bring this up, cause it's one thing I always try to harp on when asked "What Bones (or insert miniature line here) do you wanna see made?" ::D:

I will say resin printing is allot easier to get into then filament printing. One of the biggest drawbacks resin printer have is the build plate. My Photon S plate is roughly half the size of the Ender 3 build plate. Height wise, I'd say they're pretty close but I'm sure the Ender 3 has a taller build space.

Hoping to wake up to a skeleton horde in the morning! Ok 6 of them, but eh for 4 or so PCs (actual encounter is 6+6 zombies, sooooo).

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Standifer said:

If I were to make a guess I would say that the arm needed a support there. I’ve heard 

that flat parts like that are a result of an island not being supported properly.

Hmmm... I'll have to look at it, it's a pre-supported file (another Artisan Guild one). I did have issues with another one from them, it's currently printing again (for the third time today), I thickened some of the support connections this time. Maybe that's what the other one needs as well.

EDIT:

Flipping Table GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY 

And I went downstairs to check on it and the printer had apparently decided to just. Stop. I could not get it to resume. I'll try again tomorrow, I'm going to bed. Fourth time's a charm?

Edited by Illithar
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
7 hours ago, Marvin said:

Yeah, see, I started just to ask about that: Is it a two-printer kind of situation? Printing terrain seems like it would be a really big deal (for me), as it meets a need the market doesn't already cover as well, but obviously being able to print smaller, more detailed figures is cool af.

You can use either to do both but each one does certain things better.  I have a pair of filament printers and I mainly print terrain (because my amount of unpainted commercial and resin is already silly but incan convince myself indent have enough terrain...)  But I have gotten some pretty decent results with a .2 mm nozzle and a .05mm layering for 32mm scale minis.  Filament printers are also more versatile (My opinion) for home repair and prototyping.  I can print much stronger prints and much more flexible prints with a filament printer because I can print in nylon, Viton(strangely enough) ABS, and metal fill products that allow a lot more usefulness in the home and industrial world.

They also both have their learning curves: keeping filament prints sticking to the bed and raw material maintenance is a challenge for both of them, though in different ways

Today I think it really does depend on what you want to do and how much you want to deal with at once.  If you are just printing minis I would probably start with a resin printer with a large bed.  If you want to build customized parts or. Support commercial activities as well a filament printer is probably a better choice.

As a note of interest I originally bought my first printer to support the restoration of a Porche 944.  They don't make a lot of parts that were needed and it seemed a good solution.  I also support the local plant printing fittings and gaskets for equipment where the part was fabbed in house or the manufacturer no longer exists (a 37 week lead time for a part is not really useful so the printer shortens that time.)

Best of luck!  They are a lot of frustration but a lot of fun as well!

• Like 9
7 hours ago, Marvin said:

With a resin printer you can print terrain, you just need to cut it into pieces first with a program.

It will look smoother.

On the other hand a Filament printer will print bigger terrain easier but you will see the layers better.

I have an Elegoo Mars, Resin Printer.

Already there is now an Elegoo Saturn which has a bigger build plate, so printing terrain with a resin printer gets easier.

I went for a resin printer because I mainly paint for display, so I want good detail.

And I'm a nontech person, filament printers need more tweaking and maintenance than the resin ones.

With resin you do need to wear gloves and when the VAT is exposed a mask.

Watch videos on the subject on youtube, ask around and make a list of pros and cons.

Whatever you decide, it's a cool new aspect to the hobby.

And besides some very cool patreons and companies, there is also a LOT for free to be found.

Not all is well tested, so always look for that and when needing supports learn to watch for the islands so you can fix things before printing.

Even presupported files are not always perfect!

Levelling the bed, using the right settings for the material used, clean out the VAT/nozzles etc.

All in all I do not regret getting one.

Although my desk is now swarming with a horde of unpainted minis.

Have fun!

• Like 6