3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

With a resin printer you can print terrain, you just need to cut it into pieces first with a program.

It will look smoother.

When you have to go modular like that, what's it like fitting the pieces together?

Another big question: Where in the house do y'all keep these things? I know you want the resin printers ventilated, but I hear putting them in the garage and so on creates another set of problems with temperature changes and the like.

Similarly, I know the resin is toxic and all going in; what's the deal once it's cured? Do you just let it dry and then wash it off or some such?

I was looking at the Mars, as you can get one just under $200 right now, which seems like a pretty good entry for the quality, from what I read; but is it worth another ~$80 to jump straight to the Mars Pro?

Is it pretty idiot-proof like they bill it? I'm reasonably intelligent but not terribly tech-savvy, so.

Is clean-up and maintenance a total hassle?

How many ~28mm minis do you get out of a standard bottle of the resin?

• Like 3
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

You can use either to do both but each one does certain things better.  I have a pair of filament printers and I mainly print terrain (because my amount of unpainted commercial and resin is already silly but incan convince myself indent have enough terrain...)  But I have gotten some pretty decent results with a .2 mm nozzle and a .05mm layering for 32mm scale minis.  Filament printers are also more versatile (My opinion) for home repair and prototyping.  I can print much stronger prints and much more flexible prints with a filament printer because I can print in nylon, Viton(strangely enough) ABS, and metal fill products that allow a lot more usefulness in the home and industrial world.

They also both have their learning curves: keeping filament prints sticking to the bed and raw material maintenance is a challenge for both of them, though in different ways

Today I think it really does depend on what you want to do and how much you want to deal with at once.  If you are just printing minis I would probably start with a resin printer with a large bed.  If you want to build customized parts or. Support commercial activities as well a filament printer is probably a better choice.

As a note of interest I originally bought my first printer to support the restoration of a Porche 944.  They don't make a lot of parts that were needed and it seemed a good solution.  I also support the local plant printing fittings and gaskets for equipment where the part was fabbed in house or the manufacturer no longer exists (a 37 week lead time for a part is not really useful so the printer shortens that time.)

Best of luck!  They are a lot of frustration but a lot of fun as well!

Watched a Youtube about some VERY expensive PLA filament, the reviewer started with his opinion that Spidermaker had priced themselves out of the market.

Then he looked at the print, and his tune completely changed.

https://youtu.be/UwN4gL-my4w

Sounds great for minis, but too pricey for terrain. ::):

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

When you have to go modular like that, what's it like fitting the pieces together?

Another big question: Where in the house do y'all keep these things? I know you want the resin printers ventilated, but I hear putting them in the garage and so on creates another set of problems with temperature changes and the like.

Similarly, I know the resin is toxic and all going in; what's the deal once it's cured? Do you just let it dry and then wash it off or some such?

I was looking at the Mars, as you can get one just under $200 right now, which seems like a pretty good entry for the quality, from what I read; but is it worth another ~$80 to jump straight to the Mars Pro?

Is it pretty idiot-proof like they bill it? I'm reasonably intelligent but not terribly tech-savvy, so.

Is clean-up and maintenance a total hassle?

How many ~28mm minis do you get out of a standard bottle of the resin?

I have the Elegoo Mars, I'm a non-tech person.

It's reasonably plug and play.

Youtube is your friend here.

The Elegoo has a cap and as long as that's in place you won't even smell the resin.

When you lift that cap to do stuff, wear a mask.

Use gloves when handling uncured resin/ taking stuff from the build plate.

After it's cured it's fine and you won't need protection ( unless you're going to sand it, then wear a mask again, the particles are not meant to be ingested/inhaled)

Clean up is pretty easy.

Maintenance, I changed the FEP FILM twice now with the help of youtube.

There will be a time when I will need to change the LCD screen as well since that also will wear out after a certain time/working hours.

I trust youtube will assist me there as well.

FDM printers need much more tweaking, I have no regret buying the Mars.

If you want terrain or bigger stuff, maybe the Saturn is better for you.

As for cutting files into pieces, you can learn to use Meshmixer or Windos 3D Builder.

I'm tinkering with it, but so far I was able to print all, many manufacturers provide their bigger stuff already cut.

I have printed about 100 parts on a 100ml bottle of resin, ranging from a single sword to a large 6 piece monster and many troll sized and human sized minis.

Learn how to place files in chitubox to save resin, learn to hollow big pieces etc. ( Youtube!)

Learn the settings for the particular resin you need.

Protect the machine from UV light ( I put an extra garbage bag over it and surround it with some black foam board, probably overkill, but I haven't had problems yet.)

Stuff to buy when you buy the printer

( It will come with a few gloves and masks)

• Nitril Gloves
  • IPA or Methylated Alcohol for cleaning
  • Resin to print with ( duh!)
  • A spare set of FEP FILM
  • A spare LCD Screen
  • A pickle jar or other sort of plastic container or two.
  • A Naildryer for if there's no sun, you can cure in there.

I recommend watching youtube even before buying.

Install Chitubox ( it's free) download some free STL files and tinker with it to get a feeling.

VIDS I recommend and some you will need when running into trouble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YMUh-9FokQ&t=531s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmbEHUz_2l0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VJwhmjhP9Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsokPTRLXss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdtOVpiCHF8

Follow this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbv2mDrRqXovPdahRyoCFhA

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

"In time, you will know the tragic extent of my failings" - The Ancestor, Darkest Dungeon

So, fifth time is the charm, apparently. The first two attempts at printing this one file (Runa, Dwarf Beauty for those curious) failed due to the supports not holding it. Then it not once, but twice, as the printer simply stopped about halfway through. I discovered after the second time that it was due to a corrupted file. When I came home to find it frozen I stopped the print, as it receded it pulled up a large flat sheet. To my horror I thought I had broken the FEP. What looks like happened is the (now known to be corrupt file) simply spat out a large square of print space. After cleaning that up I plugged the thumb drive into my computer with gave me a warning of 'This file is corrupt, please fix' (paraphrasing). So I cleaned up THAT mess and re-sliced the file. And finally, about 20 minutes ago, I have a completed print of Runa, Dwarf Beauty.

I want to try a reprint of the other one I showed earlier that is missing part of his hand, but that will take ~4 hours, and I don't want to be up that late tonight. So, I may try that tomorrow after I get home from work. It has been a long weekend of learning experiences for 3D printing though. Hopefully things go a bit more smoothly going forward.

• Like 6

Well my skeleton horde was a bust. It printed but it was the wrong damn horde.......I found some simple skeletons last night & made of 6 of them (3 different poses, so 2 each). There was archers & while I thought they looked huge, I scaled them down to the size I wanted (using a figure that I like the size of, so no scaling problems this time!! :poke:). After I got that file ready to transfer to my USB stick, I found some better (ie paid) files last night & I decided to use those instead. It had similar style with 3 poses, x2 each build plate set up. I just punched the wrong file on the printer......grrr

I thought after printing I could use these skeletons, but the archers were a tad bit larger then the other 4 + my figure that I use to scale. It was like they were basketball players. It didn't help I didn't like their giant arrow either. So while trying to free them from their supports I just said "screw it" & I just tossed them into the used resin pile I have. I proceeded to print off a pseudo-dragon instead. Funny thou, the ruined large ogre base I tried printing was still glossy, jeesh. I stuck that sucker in the sun, just to cure, so I could toss it in the trash.

Family & I went to Boise today, mainly cause I need some super glue accelerator (yes, 60 miles) cause I couldn't find the 2 bottles here in the house I have & I needed to complete figure assembly today for tomorrow. I came home to a very nicely printed mini-dragon! Afterwards printed some ghouls. Only glue accelerator I could find was made by Army Painter & I don't know if it was me, but the pump they have in that tiny bottle shoots out allot of liquid! So I transferred it over to an existing bottle of Zap brand I hadn't thrown away yet. The way I've been using superglue, I may just end up going up to the hobby store in town & grabbing anther bottle (the Naismith brand I think it what they carry). They & my FLGS were closed today or of course I would have just went there today. Nice to get out of town, even it means heading over to a hotbed for COVID-19, then again according to the Oregonian newspaper/site, Ontario is the 2nd highest growth in OR right now!!!

(Off the Oregonian website:

Total cases more than doubled to 148, an increase of 85.

The state is reporting a new outbreak at Brookdale Senior Living totaling 26 cases in this Malheur County ZIP code. The state also disclosed a new outbreak at Snake River Correctional Institution, with six cases.

This ZIP code has the 14th most cases in Oregon and the 14th most per capita.)

(Gee, I wonder why......buzz buzz content there)

Currently printing off Ghanji Saberhands, one of my Heroforge files. I think tomorrow I'll attempt the skeleton horde (ver 2). I won't need the undead stuff till next Monday but hey always nice to be ahead of the game.

• Like 6
On 7/11/2020 at 10:44 PM, Kangaroorex said:

Got an influx of dragons today.  Part one of an STL kickstarter came in... so far templates for 15 dragons with another 30 dragons and other sculpts on the way.  Currently stls without supported resin parts so far but that's coming

I got the same pack. I printed the Puggon.  He's in black resin though and difficult to photograph, I'll try to get primer on him today.  I printed him at 200% and he's still tiny, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!  I have the red dragon supported for filament printing but I have been printing a Settlers of Catan board so I haven't had a chance to run that one  yet. (why am I having problems printing the water tiles?  of all things, why the water tiles?)

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Humansquish said:

I just got a Phrozen Sonic Mini, anyone else have one? Is there a resin it likes best for minis?

Good start:

https://all3dp.com/1/phrozen-sonic-mini-review-3d-printer-specs/

To be honest, I like Elegoo brand but I have a Photon S by Anycubic. Elegoo grey doesn't have a strong smell, I barely smell it when I open the door after a print (that is with a mask on but still, low odor).

• Like 3

What type of mask are you using?  if you are trying to remove fumes or volatile organics, you would probably need a respirator with the appropriate canisters. is there a face mask out there that has an organics reduction component?   

• Like 4

PM 2,5 it came with the elegoo, i think it's sufficient for the few seconds I have the lid off.

I always take the lid off, remove the build plate with print, put the lid back on.

Remove print, clean build plate.

Put the build plate back.

Then back to the print, soak it and remove supports.

When it's soaking I take the mask off.

Gloves the whole time and I wear reading glasses so I guess I'm fine this way?

• Like 1

Luckily I got my initial supplies before the pandemic started. I've got a R95 mask & some goggles I got from Harbor Freight. My gloves are industrial heavy duty Nitrile gloves from HF as well. (thou I'm down to my last pair of those, I have a box from Wallyworld that I hope work just as well). I keep checking HF for gloves as I like having 1 box in reserve.

Somehow, the gnoll I printed yesterday is undersized. I must have not done anything with him, as he is from the same maker as my test figure (Fabio Rizzo). I started it before I went to my DnD game last night & came home & it was done. "Midget" gnoll! :rolleyes: This morning I load the original file into the slicer & sized the two figures together. I upped the size a bit as I like my gnolls a tad bit bigger then humans. He is currently printing. I did print the rakshasa overnight. He came out nice, but he is a tad bit big. I may have to look at my sizes again.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, haldir said:

Luckily I got my initial supplies before the pandemic started. I've got a R95 mask & some goggles I got from Harbor Freight. My gloves are industrial heavy duty Nitrile gloves from HF as well. (thou I'm down to my last pair of those, I have a box from Wallyworld that I hope work just as well). I keep checking HF for gloves as I like having 1 box in reserve.

Somehow, the gnoll I printed yesterday is undersized. I must have not done anything with him, as he is from the same maker as my test figure (Manual Borla). I started it before I went to my DnD game last night & came home & it was done. "Midget" gnoll! :rolleyes: This morning I load the original file into the slicer & sized the two figures together. I upped the size a bit as I like my gnolls a tad bit bigger then humans. He is currently printing. I did print the rakshasa overnight. He came out nice, but he is a tad bit big. I may have to look at my sizes again.

Sizes can be on the part of the manufacturer.

Artisan Guild minis are all 32mm, GloomyKid is more 28mm Heroic etc etc.

It can be confusing.

• Like 5