Sign in to follow this  
Anne

3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anyone seen anything like this in 28mm scale? 

latest?cb=20120327015042

This guy would be perfect for a warforged mage NPC I need to replicate in a upcoming Eberron adventure!!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

We're both playing with Town Builder.

My first building is Mournwraith Manor, as close to the Weeble Haunted House as I can make it.

Grump has named his Boring Office Building #1. <_<

I like my nomenclature better.

Different emphasis - you are designing a manor defined by an adventure.

I am designing a boring office building to define a street. I am thinking about a Frostgrave or Mordheim game set in Castohage - The Blight. Borrowing elements from Rangers of Shadowdeep - the card mechanic for clues and encounters. Red for clues, black for encounters, each player drawing one at the top of their turn.

And, to be fair - it is a boring office building, or would be if not for the streetside upper walkway.

One of the recurring encounters I have in the works is based on a GW chaos gang - the Corvus Cabal. The winged dudes can't fly, but they also don't take falling damage....

99120201089_S2DCorvusCabal04__29137.1576

Their modus is to drop when someone is in their 'Death From Above' area.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

2 hours ago, haldir said:

Anyone seen anything like this in 28mm scale? 

latest?cb=20120327015042

This guy would be perfect for a warforged mage NPC I need to replicate in a upcoming Eberron adventure!!

Found a model on Thingiverse - should be scalable, the STL seems fairly basic.

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Clearman said:

I admire everyone's self control.  I had 18 patreons for August.

I may need help.

I have zero... For now. 

Might wind up with two in a little while, surprisingly only one is mini related.. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

How do these stack up aainst the Elegoo Saturn in print size and resolution?

The Mono X appears to have the same screen as the Saturn.  At least both of them have 8.9" 4k mono screens.  So at $139 more than the Saturn I'm not sure it's worth it unless you're attached to the brand name.  Then again that may be the normal retail price and the $400 for the Saturn was a preorder price, so I'm not sure what the final retail price for it is going to be.

As for Patreons....  I currently have 2, M3DM and Mini Monster Mayhem.  and it's not because I don't like what the other creators are turning out, but because I have to be very careful to not overspend.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 4

So it looks like I may have exceeding the maximum detail my Mars Pro can do. I've been steadily printing the parts for 'A Gambit of Guns' from Ritual casting. It has a lot of really fine details on it, particularly on the left arm, guns, and skirt. This is things like embroidery on the skirt, filigree on the arm and guns, and both guns have a name engraved in the barrel. Unfortunately, these details aren't coming out well, or at all in some cases. I tried reprinting the part with a lower layer height and exposure time (0.03mm and 6 seconds), it came out Ok but there was no noticeable increase in detail (but hooo boy, that print time). My only other thought would be maybe a different resin? Or possibly turning off anti-aliasing. Either that or the Mars Pro simply can't handle this level of fine detail. The only part that really bothers me is the skirt looks kind of 'muddy' now, but I may try putting a wash or a bit of paint over it to see if the details will pop out then.

The prints came out great otherwise, no failures at any point*, just some of the detail not quite working out.

*Well... the base is printing at home as I type this, but I expect it to go well.

Edited by Illithar
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Sophie was taken said:

Well I went ahead and got a Mars. The price was right and it was immediately available, so.

What have I done, y'all :blink:

You have joined us!

Make sure to level the buildplate and test the screen.

Then you're good to go.

I recommend getting some spare FEP film and maybe an LCD screen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YMUh-9FokQ

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, woke up for work last night, went downstairs to check the printer & there was nothing on the build plate. So either it's in the Vat, or nothing printed. I'll clean it later but first I need a nap. I'll attempt it one more time, if it happens again, then I'll just wait for the new LCD to arrive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

16 hours ago, Clearman said:

I admire everyone's self control.  I had 18 patreons for August.

I may need help.

I haven't found enough sculptors who's stuff I like to go that far, but then I'm also not going for 32mm for the most part either

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Illithar said:

So it looks like I may have exceeding the maximum detail my Mars Pro can do. I've been steadily printing the parts for 'A Gambit of Guns' from Ritual casting. It has a lot of really fine details on it, particularly on the left arm, guns, and skirt. This is things like embroidery on the skirt, filigree on the arm and guns, and both guns have a name engraved in the barrel. Unfortunately, these details aren't coming out well, or at all in some cases. I tried reprinting the part with a lower layer height and exposure time (0.03mm and 6 seconds), it came out Ok but there was no noticeable increase in detail (but hooo boy, that print time). My only other thought would be maybe a different resin? Or possibly turning off anti-aliasing. Either that or the Mars Pro simply can't handle this level of fine detail. The only part that really bothers me is the skirt looks kind of 'muddy' now, but I may try putting a wash or a bit of paint over it to see if the details will pop out then.

The prints came out great otherwise, no failures at any point*, just some of the detail not quite working out.

*Well... the base is printing at home as I type this, but I expect it to go well.

Yeah, I would try it with the anti aliasing turned off.  AA makes curves smoother at the expense of tiny details.  you can smooth the voxelization on the curves during your paint prep with a few thin coats of gloss varnish  if it annoys you.

In other news, 

image.png.30ed076b305f15a8eba5595e36b5e838.png

That puts the Saturn still beating out the Mono X in price point. ($500 MSRP for the saturn, verses the Mono X's early bird price of $539.....)  Both have the same size/resolution/monochrome screen, both appear to have removable top covers as opposed to the swing up door that's on the OG Photon. 

Unless something shifts in the pricing, I may get myself a Saturn for Christmas.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

Yeah, I would try it with the anti aliasing turned off.  AA makes curves smoother at the expense of tiny details.  you can smooth the voxelization on the curves during your paint prep with a few thin coats of gloss varnish  if it annoys you.

I'll try another print of just the left arm tonight with my regular settings (0.05mm and 8 seconds exposure) with AA turned off. Hopefully that turns out better. If not I'll chock it up to the resin. Fortunately it is a relatively small part and it's hollowed, so it's not too much resin to do this. Although, if it turns out better I may decide to reprint the hips/skirt part... 

12 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

In other news, 

That puts the Saturn still beating out the Mono X in price point. ($500 MSRP for the saturn, verses the Mono X's early bird price of $539.....)  Both have the same size/resolution/monochrome screen, both appear to have removable top covers as opposed to the swing up door that's on the OG Photon. 

Unless something shifts in the pricing, I may get myself a Saturn for Christmas.

Oooof. Almost makes me wish I had waited, but that's a little under twice the price of the Mars Pro. Might be something I look into next year though.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

In other news, 

If the second Stimulus happens, I see a Saturn in our future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, I was looking at the Gryphkin pinup in the Artisan Guild Patreon, and Megan warned me - you should be careful of that, you might get chirpies.... <_<

It's a canareal disease. There is no tweetment.

I have the feeling Megan is getting revenge fir something, not sure what....

The Auld Grump

10 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

In other news, 

I was going to mention that, but you beat me to it.

• Like 3

Printed this for my youngest nephew last night, cleaning support material out of the holes in the skull was a pain but it turned out really well in my opinion.

20200813_104013.jpg

• Like 11