3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

4 minutes ago, FaekiasDracon said:

Printed this for my youngest nephew last night, cleaning support material out of the holes in the skull was a pain but it turned out really well in my opinion.

20200813_104013.jpg

I printed the whole t-rex skeleton for my brother in law at 60% size.  Turned out to be a real torture test for my ender, but I got it dialed in really great printing the ribs....

• Like 4
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did some tinkercad-ing on my lunch break, have to cut this in half to fit the ender, but it should still work out.   I'm doing a vase mode test print right now to verify if I got the notches all in the right places, and if all goes well then I'll start designing cavities...

image.png.b60b749de7d3d3fa8ddfa6f175364a5a.png

• Like 8
22 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

did some tinkercad-ing on my lunch break, have to cut this in half to fit the ender, but it should still work out.   I'm doing a vase mode test print right now to verify if I got the notches all in the right places, and if all goes well then I'll start designing cavities...

Nice work.  Will this be for paint/ miniature storage or something else entirely?

Any plans on uploading to Thingiverse?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Clearman said:

Nice work.  Will this be for paint/ miniature storage or something else entirely?

Any plans on uploading to Thingiverse?

The intent is for it to be a drop in replacement for the badly fitting foam in the new Reaper pistol cases.  My current plan is to design a variety of them to play with.  First would be one with  compartments for 'normal' hero sized, and another larger monster compartments, (possibly sized for adding a thin layer of adhesive foam).  And one for paint bottles/hobby tools. 

Then I may go really crazy.  I have this idea to make one sized to snugly hold a bunch of the AMAC boxes for storing basing materials in.

Oh, and yes, if this all works out then I will hit thingiverse with it.

• Like 9
30 minutes ago, zemjw said:

much like physical books and PDFs ::(:

it always griped me t hat ebooks were so close in price to physical books when there was no material cost or transportation costs associated with delivering them to the reader.    Why should I  buy the ebook version for 16.99 when I can nab the hardcover for only $2 more?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Cygnwulf said:

it always griped me t hat ebooks were so close in price to physical books when there was no material cost or transportation costs associated with delivering them to the reader.    Why should I  buy the ebook version for 16.99 when I can nab the hardcover for only $2 more?

Yeah I kind of remember that Amazon wanted more enticing prices for the digital versions but the publishers were dead set against it.  I often find it especially hard to justify buying an ebook vs. getting a used copy.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, KruleBear said:

Is it just my inherent cheapness or are STL’s getting as expensive as physical minis? 

Not really? At least not with the sculptors I tend to buy from. Admittedly, I've only been at this for a couple months-ish, but the prices have seemed steady. They certainly aren't standardized though.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Illithar said:
7 hours ago, KruleBear said:

Is it just my inherent cheapness or are STL’s getting as expensive as physical minis? 

Not really? At least not with the sculptors I tend to buy from. Admittedly, I've only been at this for a couple months-ish, but the prices have seemed steady. They certainly aren't standardized though.

I think it really depends on the vendor/creator, and the platform from which you are buy them.  If you subscribe to any Patreon, the popular creators are sending out multi-figure packs every month for $10.00.  I realize that some figure may not be needed, but it is a deal.  Single STLs do tend to be more expensive individually, but it also depends on the creator.  

Ultimately, as with any business, it's all about recurring revenue and we're still in a weird infancy for the market.  You certainly don't need the same distribution overhead for selling STLs, so the price should be lower.  But a vendor is only selling a single STL for how ever many copies the buyer wants to print, so I can see that pushing the price higher.  I don't have any market data to judge where a balance may be.  It may be a while before any kind of balance is found.  

• Like 6

And a lot of gamers print out copies for their friends, also. 

That's a lost sale for every one of them. 

As Resin printers become a 'household item' more people will be wanting to print them themselves instead of relying on friends, so that will help.  

And there's the fact that a lot of what is created is 'boutique', not regular playing pieces. 

And boutique is a strange phenomena.  

• Like 7

Patreon for about $10/€ 10 gives you a monthly set and the first month the welcome pack.

A physical mini or two will be all you get for that money.

And when you pay attention to the sales on MyMiniFactory you can get real bargains.

For example

Artisan Guild is going to add these to the welcome pack as soon as they reach 7000 patreons and the parrot at 6700!

The welcome pack alone is already huge with 3 trolls, a pack donkey, 3 gargoyles, a bust, a campsite, a watchtower and pallisades and some smaller stuff.

Can't wait for that parrot!!!

6664 backer at this point.

image.png

• Like 5

All legitimate points. I have backed several stl KS’s and feel I have gotten the value from them-especially the terrain one. But I find it hard to pay $5-10 for standalone minis that I would only need to print one or two copies of. And then under most use agreements I can’t print an extra copy for a friend or sell the mini once I no longer have a use for it. 

4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

And a lot of gamers print out copies for their friends, also. 

That's a lost sale for every one of them. 

As Resin printers become a 'household item' more people will be wanting to print them themselves instead of relying on friends, so that will help.  

And there's the fact that a lot of what is created is 'boutique', not regular playing pieces. 

And boutique is a strange phenomena.  

It is a double edged sword. The higher pricing increases the odds of pirate production of the minis. I am not willing to make copies for others without permission or a sales license. I have started dabbling in Purchasing a license to print salable copies of some mini for if someone does ask me to make a print for them

• Like 4