3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

1 hour ago, haldir said:

It's part of a download - print-paint contest CnP is doing till the 15th. The thing is a kit with like over 80 parts. You design it any way you want.

crew

1.png?token-time=1598919112&token-hash=L

Some Ideas:

1.jpg?token-time=1598912698&token-hash=E

*AHEM*

One of the designers is a local - Megan and I know him from Crossroad Games in Standish, Maine. ::): The inimitable Brent of Goobertown Hobbies.

We'd have posted about it yesterday, but our internet went *POOF!* and only came back abut an hour ago.

The Auld Grump

• Like 7

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes... marriage is about compromise.

We couldn't decide between two of the Cast n Play bundles....

Megan preferred Townsfolk - but just a little bit:

image.png.638c29c40fe658d912bccc777e9897fc.png

I preferred Wizards Guild - but just a little bit.

image.png.6844b459dba55f778ed4528be3710769.png

So.... we ended up getting Bandits -

image.png.4f7792e2d120a5594dce27675f965b32.png

Which we both liked about the same, and which will be useful in both our campaigns. (From a measure of practicality - Megan was the one endorsing practicality, while my Wizards Guild preference was driven purely by the rule of cool.  :blues: But the Bandits were pure practicality, from both of us.)

Cast n Play currently has a half price sale going for members of their Patreon, when they buy bundles.

30% off for people that aren't members of their Patreon. Sale runs 'til the end of August.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I was half expecting you to say "so we settled on both"... 

If we'd had the money... yeah.

But we didn't, so... we compromised on a set we both liked about the same.

I liked it just a bit more than the Townsfolk, and Megan liked it just a bit more than the Wizards Guild. (We actually had the same numbers, on a 1-10 scale. ::P: Because... nerds. We rated all the sets -

Megan had Townsfolk at 8, Bandits at 7, and Wizards Guild at 6.5 (nerd!)

I had Wizards Guild at 8 1/2 (nerd!), Bandits at 7, and Townsfolk at 6.

Decimal points and fractions get the (nerd!) designation.

Sooner or later, we will have both. (Maybe before the Stay-At-Home ends....)

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Plus, it has gibbets - useful for pirate games.

*EDIT 2* I have a use for the Wizards Guild - but for The Blight, which is on hold, because horror/supernatural games do not work well over the interweb. ::(:

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guys, before you post such images, erase the webstore links on those.

I use "Paint" to do that.

Else they might be seen as commercial links?

Anyway for those interested.

LORD of the PRINT has a painting contest, you can now download a FREE BULETTE there.

Go to his Patreon page.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

LORD of the PRINT has a painting contest, you can now download a FREE BULETTE there.

Go to his Patreon page.

Mine is accessible to everyone. Gumroad page is free to purchase. They want people to enter! :lol:

• Like 3

Well, confirmed, time for an FEP change.  Printed a piece, was fine.  Printed something else, had a failure that left a good ding in the FEP.  Switched back to grey, printed the first piece again, it failed where the ding was.  Just to be sure printed a multipart piece.  Only part to fail was where the ding was.

I'll drain the vat today, but likely won't get to the FEP until next week. (A couple days vacation with my wife followed by 2 days of marshaling car racing at the track doesn't leave much time....).

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Illithar said:

Does anyone have any experience with Siraya's 'Fast' or 'Build' resins? Those are two that have caught my eye at the moment. 

Siraya Fast is my go to.  prints with a similar profile to the elegoo, though I think it would do well a half second faster.  A whole second faster and I start having support failures.  Sharp crisp detail.  It can be a little on the brittle side, but not as bad as some, it will break but seldom shatters.   The only thing I've really broken was some fingers on a bust when I dropped it while still attached to my painting handle and she went fingers first into the tile floor.

I have heard of people in other groups that have taken to mixing in 10% Siraya Blu Clear to get a resin that still has fantastic details and is much more durable, but won't break the bank like printing in straight Blu would.  I haven't felt the need. 

I've been playing with the Phrozen water washable here lately, but I don't think I'll buy it again.  I don't feel like the detail is quite as crisp (though that may be because I bought the black instead of the grey), and water washable should be 'almost water washable'.  I had to add about 10% IPA to my second rinse to be able to get all of the residue off.  On the plus side, when I put the old tank out in the sun to evaporate before disposal, it dried completely as opposed to the gooy gunk that never fully hardens which is left behind by the standard resins.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Go to his Patreon page.

"Ya dang adventurers! Get off my rock garden!" - Old man Bulette. It's a great sculpt, but that was my first thought on seeing it ::P:

4 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Siraya Fast is my go to.  prints with a similar profile to the elegoo, though I think it would do well a half second faster.  A whole second faster and I start having support failures.  Sharp crisp detail.  It can be a little on the brittle side, but not as bad as some, it will break but seldom shatters.   The only thing I've really broken was some fingers on a bust when I dropped it while still attached to my painting handle and she went fingers first into the tile floor.

I have heard of people in other groups that have taken to mixing in 10% Siraya Blu Clear to get a resin that still has fantastic details and is much more durable, but won't break the bank like printing in straight Blu would.  I haven't felt the need. 

I've been playing with the Phrozen water washable here lately, but I don't think I'll buy it again.  I don't feel like the detail is quite as crisp (though that may be because I bought the black instead of the grey), and water washable should be 'almost water washable'.  I had to add about 10% IPA to my second rinse to be able to get all of the residue off.  On the plus side, when I put the old tank out in the sun to evaporate before disposal, it dried completely as opposed to the gooy gunk that never fully hardens which is left behind by the standard resins.  

Elegoo's Water Washable is notably brittle, apparently. It is one of the top complaints I see about it. I hadn't really noticed until I had a Gryphkin tumble about 3 or 4 inches off a shelf and her spear snapped clean off. There was also that statuette I printed, but she fell flat on her face, the bill of the hat didn't so much break as shatter (The pictures are of the reprint). I have also heard of a lot of mixing being done with Siraya's resins, 3DprintingPro had a mixture that he could bend in half before it broke. I don't remember the exact mix, but he made a video about it.

I have some of the Siraya Fast on order along with a pickle jar thing for washing, but they probably wont be here until the end of next week. I can get some Denatured Alchohol locally. I may do some printing this weekend, I have a bit of the water washable stuff left. But I am otherwise on a bit of a print break. Good time to get some painting done I suppose.

Edited by Illithar
I sentence well.
  • Like 4

I decided to try & "save" the current LCD by printing off that bullette. I won't enter the contest, I just wanted to print it out. :lol:

Hopefully, it'll work & not end up like the last test (nothing on the plate, small bit of gunk in the vat). I noticed I have a noticeable mark on the FEP right in the middle, so I decided to move the print off to one of the ends. Just trying to cover all my potential problems. I think I'll change out the FEP when I install the new LCD thou, just to be safe.

(reminds me, I need to order some FEP or use that sealer sheet advice off  youtube)

EDIT:

HA HA HA, ok just for sheeps & giggles, I looked at Anycubic to see how much their FEP sheet were (I mean, why skimp & just use your printer's brand, right?) 5 sheets for 24.99. A little more then what I was seeing on Big A but it was 5 vs 2, etc etc. I go to see how much shipping would be & they want..........drumroll.........................$50.00!! :blink::rock:

Apparently Anycubic just has 1 shipping for ALL THINGS on their site! LOL.

Funny thing to is I got the Wash N Cure machine for free shipping too......

Yah, I'll be ordering off Amazon. Most likely not Anycubic as I can only find 2 pc sheet packs for Anycubic brand.

• Like 5

Well I have a print!!!

Bulette is allot smaller then I thought it would be, but then again, all I did was take the file & opened it in Chitu, then sliced it. I did the pre-supported.

I may just change out my FEP tomorrow instead of the LCD. As the exposure tests are giving me a full lighted screen where it should be. Happy news!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, haldir said:

I decided to try & "save" the current LCD by printing off that bullette. I won't enter the contest, I just wanted to print it out. :lol:

Hopefully, it'll work & not end up like the last test (nothing on the plate, small bit of gunk in the vat). I noticed I have a noticeable mark on the FEP right in the middle, so I decided to move the print off to one of the ends. Just trying to cover all my potential problems. I think I'll change out the FEP when I install the new LCD thou, just to be safe.

(reminds me, I need to order some FEP or use that sealer sheet advice off  youtube)

EDIT:

HA HA HA, ok just for sheeps & giggles, I looked at Anycubic to see how much their FEP sheet were (I mean, why skimp & just use your printer's brand, right?) 5 sheets for 24.99. A little more then what I was seeing on Big A but it was 5 vs 2, etc etc. I go to see how much shipping would be & they want..........drumroll.........................$50.00!! :blink::rock:

Apparently Anycubic just has 1 shipping for ALL THINGS on their site! LOL.

Funny thing to is I got the Wash N Cure machine for free shipping too......

Yah, I'll be ordering off Amazon. Most likely not Anycubic as I can only find 2 pc sheet packs for Anycubic brand.

Anycubic and Elegoo Mars are the same size I believe.

So maybe the Elegoo version or a generic one with the same size is cheaper?

• Like 3