3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

Replaced the FEP on my Photon today. 

Its a bit finnicky with film without pre-cut holes, but...   

I used a couple of clamps to hold the frames together, then pierced the holes with a twist drill. 

I was going to finally solder together the LED strips of my curing chamber, but when I sat down I remembered seeing connectors that clamps onto the ends of the strips, so back to the PC to order some. 

• Like 2

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Humansquish said:

Got the Enterprise set on MMF, printed up the shuttle, A, & E. E barely fit in the print volume, and then didn't fit when it was raised to put on supports. So E is actually 96% of scale.

Enterprises.thumb.jpg.f38daa99925446bacad9fdc16036f083.jpg

Looks good.

Sometimes changing angles a bit can help, also you can edit supports, maybe use heavier but lower ones?

• Like 1

Got my flexvat FEP today.

Package was a very stiff mailer & the FEP inside is protected by a slim piece of styrofoam. I didn't take the sheets out yet, as I'm not going to replace today.

Thought I'd post for those interested in how they arrive.

Very happy with the speed of the delivery as well.

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Archvillain 50% off in the MMF.

Seriously, there are just too many sales going on, and I have noticed many will be repeated in a few months.

But, a good deal if you're looking for something from them.

Heroes Infinite 40% (40 thieves theme)

720X720-senliah-the-seductress-on-flying720X720-106423037-10221388950412103-1997 Woah...........

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Archvillain 50% off in the MMF.

Seriously, there are just too many sales going on, and I have noticed many will be repeated in a few months.

But, a good deal if you're looking for something from them.

Also, if you happen to be on Archvillains patreon this month you get 70% off that skeletal dragon specifically.

That 50% off may get me to pick up a couple things I've had my eye on. Heroes Infinite also has me tempted, but I am debating on the full set vs. getting some of them piecemeal. That giant Genie/Djinn is very cool, but I doubt I would ever get around to printing it.

I did get my Siraya Fast resin today. it is sitting at my front door. I am going to do some test prints after I get home using some previous files have had issues with using the water washable stuff.

As a side note, some of the previous pieces I printed for 'A Gambit of Guns' have now cracked open. They were hollow, I thought I had cleaned them out properly before curing but perhaps not. They may have over cured over the weeks as well, they were sitting on a paper towel on a counter near a window. It was filtered/indirect sunlight, but sunlight none the less. Here's hoping the new resin goes well.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Humansquish said:

In my last print I had some stringy bits hanging off, so I want to clean my vat. Can I strain the resin back into the original container? Or should I use a different container? The only thing I can think of that would work that I have are some glass jars.

I have strained my resin from the vat back into the bottle several times.  No issues yet! 

• Like 3

On 8/22/2020 at 11:57 AM, haldir said:

I feel bad (sorta). I signed up for Lord of the Print's August Patreon just now, downloading the files & afterwards going to cancel. I really like their Dragons Dueling & seeing the price in MMF, yah no brainer to get it now.

& of course use the discount code to get that Kraken mini, ha ha.

Just cancelled the Lost Kingdoms Patreon... but only for a while.

As soon as something either Megan or I can use pops up, it will be back on.

If either of us were doing Lizardmen... what they have coming out is really nifty.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Illithar said:

Also, if you happen to be on Archvillains patreon this month you get 70% off that skeletal dragon specifically.

That 50% off may get me to pick up a couple things I've had my eye on. Heroes Infinite also has me tempted, but I am debating on the full set vs. getting some of them piecemeal. That giant Genie/Djinn is very cool, but I doubt I would ever get around to printing it.

I did get my Siraya Fast resin today. it is sitting at my front door. I am going to do some test prints after I get home using some previous files have had issues with using the water washable stuff.

As a side note, some of the previous pieces I printed for 'A Gambit of Guns' have now cracked open. They were hollow, I thought I had cleaned them out properly before curing but perhaps not. They may have over cured over the weeks as well, they were sitting on a paper towel on a counter near a window. It was filtered/indirect sunlight, but sunlight none the less. Here's hoping the new resin goes well.

That Genie also comes in a regular size without all the heroes.

5 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Just cancelled the Lost Kingdoms Patreon... but only for a while.

As soon as something either Megan or I can use pops up, it will be back on.

If either of us were doing Lizardmen... what they have coming out is really nifty.

The Auld Grump

I already have all of those lizards in physical form due to the Cuetzpal Kickstarter, they ARE magnificent.

I'm interested in their Egyptian Stuff there alternating the months with it seems.

Already have the Anubi and the Cavalry/Chariot/Camel set.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Humansquish said:

In my last print I had some stringy bits hanging off, so I want to clean my vat. Can I strain the resin back into the original container? Or should I use a different container? The only thing I can think of that would work that I have are some glass jars.

Don't use Glass jars. 

I'd rather strain it back into the original bottle than use something that's transparent to UV. 

It doesn't matter if it's just for a few minutes. It's a bad habit that you don't want to start. 

I have heard that some will always order a smaller bottle of a new type of resin before ordering a large bottle.

The small bottle becomes the 'strain to' bottle for that type/colour of resin. 

• Like 5

Bombshell's minis this month are pretty cool, he's calling them Cyber Zulu, but they're basically Wakandan....

I'm probably back in next month for his Femaris marines.. I've a few 'friends' I'd like to give gifts too, pre-painted in their primary army's colors for ease of use....

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

The Heroes Infinite Spider cult minis are SWEET!

Giving some of the long haired ones Prehensile Hair, and one or two the White Haired Witch archetype. ::): Witches that use their hair in melee.

I have the whole set, do check before printing, the presupports are lacking in many places.

You do need to add more yourself to prevent failing.

But..they are awesome!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

The Heroes Infinite Spider cult minis are SWEET!

Giving some of the long haired ones Prehensile Hair, and one or two the White Haired Witch archetype. ::): Witches that use their hair in melee.

Should I be worried?

I looked at those models.

Yeah. I'm worried. ::):

The Auld Grump

• Like 2
  • Haha 2