Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Anne

3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

Glad I stay subscribed to these

 

 

 

Ya...  I keep trying to reduce my Patreon and Kickstarter lists... this is not likely to help that... 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Is 25ish dollars the usual price for a kg of filament or are prices high due to covid?

 

Depending on the brand, 25 is about avg really. It's been awhile since I've ordered filament but I recall paying a bit cheaper but I was buying no name reels. When I did buy like Hatchbox off Amazon it was around that price.

6 hours ago, Illithar said:

Archvillain Games just announced they they are working with MyMiniFactory to distribute monthly Patreon rewards through them. They are going to continue to have the previous options available, such as Sync, but are hoping it will make things easier for everyone going forward. So that's neat, I hope it goes well and maybe other Patreons will be able to offer that as well.

 

A couple of Patreons I have (thou it might have been one I dropped......hmmmm) kinda make it hard to find the monthly offerings. Some like AG or CnP are like "here they are, download them!". I have no idea why some bury their links.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Is thingverse completely broken for anyone else?

There is something off, for sure.  I can log in and search for stuff, but whenever I try to look at an item I get a "something went wrong" message. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Rahz said:

There is something off, for sure.  I can log in and search for stuff, but whenever I try to look at an item I get a "something went wrong" message. 

 

This was exactly what I was getting.  Though even searches seemed inconsistent.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Rahz said:

There is something off, for sure.  I can log in and search for stuff, but whenever I try to look at an item I get a "something went wrong" message. 

 

3 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

 

This was exactly what I was getting.  Though even searches seemed inconsistent.

 

 

I got that message with some searches while others worked fine.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Is thingverse completely broken for anyone else?

They've updated the code to stop working on days that end in y. It's been their most consistent fix so far.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to download a vase, so their fix isn't 100% effective.   But now, Creality is suggesting that I stick to their slicer but it doesn't have the vase mode from Cura.   

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I'm trying to search back into this thread's murky past, but I figure I need to put some questions to you guys in any case.

 

Any thoughts on filiment?  Long ago, a friend recommended Amazon Basics but apparently they've changed their supplier. 

Is it worth looking into something fancier and more expensive, perhaps for special/troublesome projects?  3D Printing Nerd seemed impressed with the Spider Maker he tested which made for a smoother finish.

 

I know that if I need to 3d print some cat armor, I can head to thingverse, but where should I be looking for other files?  I think that rather than slooooowly  printing large, complete  pieces, I'd rather find someplace that has files for all the bits that would be harder to make from scratch.  In particular I'd love to find a set of doors and windows that could be used for some fantasy/40k ruins.  Something that could be added to foamcore walls.  Also I'd love to find a nice big set of girders and struts that could be used to support walkways and platforms for some Necromunda style terrain.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lowlylowlycook said:

OK, I'm trying to search back into this thread's murky past, but I figure I need to put some questions to you guys in any case.

 

Any thoughts on filiment?  Long ago, a friend recommended Amazon Basics but apparently they've changed their supplier. 

Is it worth looking into something fancier and more expensive, perhaps for special/troublesome projects?  3D Printing Nerd seemed impressed with the Spider Maker he tested which made for a smoother finish.

 

I know that if I need to 3d print some cat armor, I can head to thingverse, but where should I be looking for other files?  I think that rather than slooooowly  printing large, complete  pieces, I'd rather find someplace that has files for all the bits that would be harder to make from scratch.  In particular I'd love to find a set of doors and windows that could be used for some fantasy/40k ruins.  Something that could be added to foamcore walls.  Also I'd love to find a nice big set of girders and struts that could be used to support walkways and platforms for some Necromunda style terrain.

 

I can't help with the filament, I print resin.

 

About sites though:

 

Myminifactory

Thingieverse

3Dcults

Yeggie

Gumroad

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sophie was taken said:

I broke my printer :down:

 

Specifically poked a nice hole in the plastic bottom of the vat. Guess I’ll be learning how to replace the film a bit ahead of schedule.

 

You didn't break your printer.

The FEP Film is a consumable, it's quite easy to replace, I'm non tech and scared about such things and I did it twice already.

 

How did you puncture it?

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

How did you puncture it?

 

Poked a hole in it with the scraper while trying to clean off the failed print that was stuck to the FEP instead of the build plate. Ironically, this was done to facilitate lubricating the thing <_<

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to replace the bowden tube on my Prusa Mini last night.  Was trying to print a fairly large, flat piece and the hotend end of the tube pulled out of the coupler so that the extruder was just making coils of filament around the x-axis.  Thankfully i ordered a meter of Capricorn PTFE (teflon) tubing before receiving the shipping notice and could just cut a length of that and use the new pressure fittings that were in the "spares" bag shipped with the printer to fix it.  Will be ordering two replacement tubes and a few sets of couplers when i place my filament order this weekend.

Edited by FaekiasDracon
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...