3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

2 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Speaking of PLA, any specific advice for adhesives and primer/paint?

Superglue works fine.  I have a bunch of apoxie sculpt for gap filling once I get to it.

Badger has a 2 part primer for filament prints called 3D PRIME.  I played with it a bit, but still haven't painted anything I've printed (What?  I still have a couple of months until its been two years....)

I will be doing some assembly and painting as soon as I get a bit more organized.  I need to as I'm running out of surfaces to hold all the pieces I've printed but haven't assembled yet. :blink:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

This may have been the reason I kickstarted New Worlds  

Posted Images

I am waiting for a batch of 3D print primer (that stuff is a little hard to find) so we will see how that works.  A lot of my prints are terrain pieces so by careful choice of line placement I have done a lot to integrate the lines into the print.  I have also had some luck using thinned apoxie sculpt to fill in the lines.

for printing PLA is a lot easier to work with than ABS.  My chances of a failed print go up significantly if I print with ABS.

Though right now I stopped printing for a few weeks and now have to learn how to go through learning ot make a good print again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Because I was grabbing what the place had, I picked up a mix.

The red and the blue are ABS.

So, the smoothing isn't done by brushing the acetone on, you put it in a jar, attach the mini to the lid, so the FUMES smooth it out.

It works a lot faster than I expected, half an hour later it was smooth and SHINY!

Then let it sit outside overnight, losing the acetone stink.

• Like 4
On 9/14/2020 at 7:46 PM, haldir said:

Seeing these really means I need to get my settings dialed in allot more. Those are some clean looking minis, especially the manticore. 

It took me a little bit to get it dialed in.  The hero forge minis seem to have softer details unfortunately.  Anything else I’ve printed has turned out great.  Here’s a couple of shots of the artisan guild beholder in reprinting since I love the model and the first one was a little sloppy on the cleanup.

still have some support cleanup on the teeth to do

82530CDC-F5DC-4D46-AF9F-F2DC9D6251A1.thumb.jpeg.5e32a4007dbeb43c3a8710debb74ded4.jpeg

4ABF9825-76D1-4935-A108-618CE4DFE853.thumb.jpeg.176897c9adc3861cfab5269f22066850.jpeg

• Like 11

So, I was on the line with an EPAX rep the other day trying to determine if the X1-k would meet the print quality needs we are looking for to produce master copies (close but probably not quite).  Anyway, they told me to wait a bit because they are coming out with a new machine yet this year that has a 4K mono screen right up under the build plate.  What that means is that it will be a machine with no projection distortion, yet also have Epax's parallel light array.  The build plate will only be 5.5", but the X,Y resolution will be the best out there, likely even beating machines like the Solus Pro which is $7000 and only has a 3" plate.  I think this new machine will be a game changer for sculptors and miniature companies as we will be able to produce masters without having to spend $70 to $100 per print at a print farm.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

So, I was on the line with an EPAX rep the other day trying to determine if the X1-k would meet the print quality needs we are looking for to produce master copies (close but probably not quite).  Anyway, they told me to wait a bit because they are coming out with a new machine yet this year that has a 4K mono screen right up under the build plate.  What that means is that it will be a machine with no projection distortion, yet also have Epax's parallel light array.  The build plate will only be 5.5", but the X,Y resolution will be the best out there, likely even beating machines like the Solus Pro which is $7000 and only has a 3" plate.  I think this new machine will be a game changer for sculptors and miniature companies as we will be able to produce masters without having to spend $70 to $100 per print at a print farm.

This is interesting news.  I really like my X1 classic, I just wish there was an upgrade path to get it to a 4K mono screen.

• Like 3

That screen is game changing.

Still ogulating the Saturn.

We don't need to prototype, so the bigger build plate wins.

My 3D art and animation class has us working with Blender.

Now I'm wishing I'd done the class last year, I hadn't been thinking of 3D printing last year, when I was signing up for classes.

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

image.png.009153e0b961adea36baa651ac49f5bc.png

Those look good, not Rakshasas but still a good looking cat person. I just wish they would put hair on the female bodies (ie more or less "insert race" head on a human body on ALL of their races.)

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, haldir said:

Those look good, not Rakshasas but still a good looking cat person. I just wish they would put hair on the female bodies (ie more or less "insert race" head on a human body on ALL of their races.)

Since those hands are modular you can easily switch them to create "real" Rakshasas

The Princess on the carpet has fur on her legs.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3
  • TaleSpinner changed the title to 3D Printing General Discussion (merged)
  • TaleSpinner pinned this topic