3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

5 hours ago, Clearman said:

This is interesting news.  I really like my X1 classic, I just wish there was an upgrade path to get it to a 4K mono screen.

From the Epax Rep: The 5.5in screens will be released later this year, probably within a month or two. They will be compatible with our X1-N and X1-N-DJ models as screen upgrades.

I don't know if that helps.

• Like 4
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

So, I was on the line with an EPAX rep the other day trying to determine if the X1-k would meet the print quality needs we are looking for to produce master copies (close but probably not quite).  Any

Posted Images

3 hours ago, haldir said:

Those look good, not Rakshasas but still a good looking cat person. I just wish they would put hair on the female bodies (ie more or less "insert race" head on a human body on ALL of their races.)

Khajiit knows many things.

I am M'aiq, the Liar.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
25 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

From the Epax Rep: The 5.5in screens will be released later this year, probably within a month or two. They will be compatible with our X1-N and X1-N-DJ models as screen upgrades.

I don't know if that helps.

A little.  Knowing the timeline is nice, but my X1 is a vanilla X1, not the X1-N or X1-N-DJ variant so I wouldn't be able to use that part directly.

That said, I was able to get in touch with Epax customer service as well, and apparently I can upgrade the main board to the X1-N board, upgrade the light to the parallel light array, and install the conversion kit to accommodate the 6" 2k mono screen.  Not sure if the release of the 5.5" screen changes that, so we'll see.  The rep recommended that I do all this during a normal screen swap maintenance. 

Upgrade parts should only be about half the cost of a new printer, so that's good.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, haldir said:

Those look good, not Rakshasas but still a good looking cat person. I just wish they would put hair on the female bodies (ie more or less "insert race" head on a human body on ALL of their races.)

The funniest, but most useless post Keith Baker has made about Eberron:

If I ever use tabaxi in my #Eberron, it'll be in a ruined city in the Mournland where the cats survived and were transformed into humanoids. And can't stop singing.
EWOMmKaU8AEjCR1?format=jpg&name=small

I was looking if I could use the rakshasakin as tabaxi for Eberron.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
5 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

The funniest, but most useless post Keith Baker has made about Eberron:

If I ever use tabaxi in my #Eberron, it'll be in a ruined city in the Mournland where the cats survived and were transformed into humanoids. And can't stop singing.
EWOMmKaU8AEjCR1?format=jpg&name=small

I was looking if I could use the rakshasakin as tabaxi for Eberron.

There are two that would work well for actual rakshasa, by swapping their easily swappable hands.

Rakshasa are actually the go-to fiends for Eberron, if I recall properly - because they infiltrate society Why cause pointless destruction, death, and misery when you can do all three and turn a profit at the same time?

I gotta be honest - Cats - either the play or the movie - gives me the willies.

On the other hand....

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Something I am deeply missing from using the Water Washable resin is the ease of cleaning. Since switching to the Siraya Tech stuff, while I generally get good results, prints with delicate, fine parts or lots of nooks and crannies are difficult to really clean. As an example: on the Bear Vanguard I posted earlier, I couldn't really clean the inside of the mouth without damaging the teeth. I've tried Simple Green in an Ultrasonic cleaner and I've tried denatured alcohol in a ziplock bag in an ultrasonic cleaner with water as alternatives to brushing it. Neither of them work all that well if at all. I have thought about getting a cheap electric toothbrush to use to maybe make things easier. The extreme measure may to be invest in one of the many 'wash and cure' stations that are around.

Or am I worrying about it a bit too much? The glossy spots aren't tacky if I cure enough. And if I am going to paint them it wont matter much. But I am worried about losing detail due to leaving resin there.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Illithar said:

Something I am deeply missing from using the Water Washable resin is the ease of cleaning. Since switching to the Siraya Tech stuff, while I generally get good results, prints with delicate, fine parts or lots of nooks and crannies are difficult to really clean. As an example: on the Bear Vanguard I posted earlier, I couldn't really clean the inside of the mouth without damaging the teeth. I've tried Simple Green in an Ultrasonic cleaner and I've tried denatured alcohol in a ziplock bag in an ultrasonic cleaner with water as alternatives to brushing it. Neither of them work all that well if at all. I have thought about getting a cheap electric toothbrush to use to maybe make things easier. The extreme measure may to be invest in one of the many 'wash and cure' stations that are around.

Or am I worrying about it a bit too much? The glossy spots aren't tacky if I cure enough. And if I am going to paint them it wont matter much. But I am worried about losing detail due to leaving resin there.

I clean in Methylated Alcohol or IPA, then dunk it in warm water ( WARM!) and then I use an old toothbrush, then I cure.

So far I haven't got the feeling I lost any detail, the wash and cure systems look great but I think it's a lot of money for something one can easily fix the old fashioned way.

• Like 3

Cripes, I just remembered I haven't downloaded any of my patreon releases this month.....

I really need to keep up on those, at least I remembered 11 days before the end of the month vs last month & downloaded one an hour before the 1st & on my phone in doing so........::o:

Anyone gonna try out MMF+? I think I might at $7.99 but I will admit I don't mind not having it as well. In a way feels like having anther Patreon I'd have to manage & I'm having a hard time keeping the ones I have!!! :lol:

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, haldir said:

Cripes, I just remembered I haven't downloaded any of my patreon releases this month.....

I really need to keep up on those, at least I remembered 11 days before the end of the month vs last month & downloaded one an hour before the 1st & on my phone in doing so........::o:

Anyone gonna try out MMF+? I think I might at $7.99 but I will admit I don't mind not having it as well. In a way feels like having anther Patreon I'd have to manage & I'm having a hard time keeping the ones I have!!! :lol:

Nope,

There are plenty of sales on MMF without having to resort to a subscription.

I rather subscribe to a patreon for a month for files then this.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I clean in Methylated Alcohol or IPA, then dunk it in warm water ( WARM!) and then I use an old toothbrush, then I cure.

So far I haven't got the feeling I lost any detail, the wash and cure systems look great but I think it's a lot of money for something one can easily fix the old fashioned way.

That is more or less my process as well, using denatured alchohol. I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much about it. It's just always that little voice in the back of my mind screaming "IT SHOULDN'T LOOK LIKE THAT! MORE CLEANING!"

• Haha 4
12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nope,

There are plenty of sales on MMF without having to resort to a subscription.

I rather subscribe to a patreon for a month for files then this.

Though I would not be surprised if MMF starts having fewer sales, in an attempt to drive the new program.

Unconnected - our second test print was Pot of Greed.

Megan explained where Pot of Greed comes from... five times. ::P:

The Auld Grump

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
On 7/30/2020 at 12:05 AM, PaganMegan said:

Those undead bears are on the tipity top of my to print list, as soon as the CR6 comes in.

Undead.

Bears.

I repeat:

Undead.

Bears.

Not one.

Not two.

But three.

Undead.

Bears.

If you go into the woods today, your sure of a big surprise

If you go into the woods today, you better go in disguise. :zombie:

One, two, three! Three undead bears! Ah, ha, ha!

Or there will be when their done printing!

• Haha 5
3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

If you go into the woods today, your sure of a big surprise

If you go into the woods today, you better go in disguise. :zombie:

One, two, three! Three undead bears! Ah, ha, ha!

Or there will be when their done printing!

Okay, that explains what's running on the printer.

But why is there a happy naked goblin girl scampering across the table?

The Auld Grump

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
On 9/19/2020 at 12:46 PM, haldir said:

Yuup!  I realized I was missing one or 2 patreon's worth of downloads... working on it now.  I really wish there was a way to track if you'd snagged your rewards or not...  And since I jump between Patreons depending on what they're offering, it's more confusing (for me...) since it's often not the same list from month to month.  Need to start a tracking spreadsheet or something. 

• Like 7
  • TaleSpinner changed the title to 3D Printing General Discussion (merged)
  • TaleSpinner pinned this topic