3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

18 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

If you go into the woods today, your sure of a big surprise

If you go into the woods today, you better go in disguise. :zombie:

One, two, three! Three undead bears! Ah, ha, ha!

Or there will be when their done printing!

Finished pics please. Still waiting for my printer but like to see what other people are already doing with it.

• Like 4
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

This may have been the reason I kickstarted New Worlds  

Posted Images

I got an alminium resin vat designed for the Photon, today. The plan is to fit it to my Kudo3D Bean printer, somehow. 

(The Bean has two screws to tie down two hinged flaps along one long side of the original vat. It results in the print actually lifting the vat during the lift and tear operations. It's supposed to give a smoother and softer separation... )

Anyway, an aluminium vat for the Bean is $99, but the Photon vat was only $69, and I was fed up with Kudo3D's support... 

• Like 2

Saturn is all set up and levelled.  

hoping to have time tonight to play with it to dial in the print time.  The only resin I have in reasonable quantities is the water-washable stuff that I haven’t tried before so I foresee a few prints of some of the calibration figures before I start spitting out some Gaslands terrain pieces.   

65313192-C7F8-4B2C-AAEF-0616D23D556F.thumb.jpeg.096c2f328fe136f6e85f4502ce1b897b.jpeg

• Like 9

Weird......

So they released a Tomb Trapper in the newest D&D prepainted set (Icewind Dale) & in the aftermarket it is one of the spendy ones (30+ on ebay & abroad). Since I know I'll probably never use one outside ID adventure, I decided to look for alternatives. I did a Google on my laptop & came across a in progress miniature on thingiverse. Sweet! I didn't want to save the file to my laptop so I came downstairs & fired up the PC & did the same Google search....nothing comes up. Ok, then, I head to thingiverse & do a direct search there, nothing at all either.

Appears I'm gonna have to do a download on the laptop & make my Drive the home for the file, a pain, but at least I'll have the file & have 30+ bucks in my pocket.

Ah ha! I did a history search & with everything tied with Chrome, the file name on thingi is "Tapper" not Trapper. Problem solved.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, haldir said:

Weird......

So they released a Tomb Trapper in the newest D&D prepainted set (Icewind Dale) & in the aftermarket it is one of the spendy ones (30+ on ebay & abroad). Since I know I'll probably never use one outside ID adventure, I decided to look for alternatives. I did a Google on my laptop & came across a in progress miniature on thingiverse. Sweet! I didn't want to save the file to my laptop so I came downstairs & fired up the PC & did the same Google search....nothing comes up. Ok, then, I head to thingiverse & do a direct search there, nothing at all either.

Appears I'm gonna have to do a download on the laptop & make my Drive the home for the file, a pain, but at least I'll have the file & have 30+ bucks in my pocket.

Ah ha! I did a history search & with everything tied with Chrome, the file name on thingi is "Tapper" not Trapper. Problem solved.

So a dungeon bartender?

• Like 2

My turn with the printer - going with a big one -

image.png.739624e351af48ef124ea56739c6a417.png

For a Hallowe'en diorama.

Figuring out supports.... Is it just me, or is Chitubox a whole lot more user friendly than Creality Slicer?

Then it's going back to Megan for the rest of the week - this looks like it will be a twenty hour print job.

I think I may need to trim back on the supports....

The Auld Grump

For some reason, this model reminds me of the haunted house that the Jay Cees used to have.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Figuring out supports.... Is it just me, or is Chitubox a whole lot more user friendly than Creality Slicer?

Then it's going back to Megan for the rest of the week - this looks like it will be a twenty hour print job.

The Auld Grump

For some reason, this model reminds me of the haunted house that the Jay Cees used to have.

I've only used Chitubox and when it's not crashing over and over, I have found it quite nice to use, though I place my own supports after the auto supports did some very strange things. 

Unless you have hollowed the heck out of this, I would leave as many supports as you can cause it's going to be heavy. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump

2 minutes ago, Rahz said:

I've only used Chitubox and when it's not crashing over and over, I have found it quite nice to use, though I place my own supports after the auto supports did some very strange things. 

Unless you have hollowed the heck out of this, I would leave as many supports as you can cause it's going to be heavy. 

And I might add..HEAVY SUPPORTS!

• Like 2
On 9/22/2020 at 10:30 AM, PaganMegan said:

I may need to slice that second bear again.

The printer got to the same spot, then stopped this time.

I hit Resume, and it started again, but that makes me suspicious.

Sliced with the Creality slicer.

I have been pleased with Cura using light supports.

• Like 3

The only slicer other than Chitubox that I have played with so far is Lychee, it's the one that Lord of the Print uses. Between those two, I do find Chitubox a bit easier to use mostly due to it's simplicity, but I feel Lychee is better in some ways, like how it places supports. Manual placement behaves much better and you can add braces after the fact. It also doesn't seem to crash like Chitubox. But it's a bit more cumbersome due to the extra features, nobs, and dials.

I feel like Chitubox is the 'MS Paint' of slicers. It's easy to use and gets the job done for basic jobs, but the other slicers offer more advanced features that are arguably better if you know how to use them. Although some, like Lychee, have some of them locked behind a paywall. 

• Like 2

I'm still using Cura 4.4 for my filament printer slicing.  I generally just use the "experimental" tree supports. But I've never played around with adding extras or anything.

Here's a 28mm panzer IV (from the 3DBreed March to Hell KS) I finished printing this morning:

20200923_IMG_1044.jpg.502a28ac9db72a1ee875e317ccef6ad6.jpg

Needs a bit of cleanup on the undersides but came out pretty nice.

• Like 10
  • TaleSpinner changed the title to 3D Printing General Discussion (merged)
  • TaleSpinner pinned this topic