Sign in to follow this  
Anne

3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

So I think my printer may have shipped. Looking at the Creality spreadsheet my backer number is listed in the last column Sep 25, update 38 ROW. Starting to get anxious to try it out.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Humansquish said:

For a Phrozen Sonic Mini. I'll look into Lychee. I tried Z-suite, which the little I've played with it I like, but it doesn't save to the right format for my printer to recognize.

Formware has support for both the Mini and the Mini 4K, but only as 'Beta' yet. 

In other words, it should work, but...   

The newest version even offers plugs for drainage holes... 

(I haven't had time to download and install it, yet, so have no clue as to how that works)

• Like 4

22 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Do you guys think a thread for 3D printing terrain would be warranted?

The settings and the like are often very different than for minis printing, so could be helpful.

• Like 3

Sensing a pattern here - Megan prints about a couple dozen small minis. Taking a few hours at a time, so she can do multiple runs.

I print a model that takes the better part of a day.

Megan prints about a couple dozen small minis, taking a few hours at a time, so she can do multiple runs.

I print part of a model, taking a full day....

And will need two more days to finish the model.

1.jpg?token-time=1602385252&token-hash=P

And that's without the howdah.

And, yeah - in the after school game, there IS the possibility of a purple worm being unleashed on the city.

Purple was the one color missing in the box of filament Megan picked up.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

On 9/25/2020 at 5:42 PM, lowlylowlycook said:

Do you guys think a thread for 3D printing terrain would be warranted?

I'm always interested in other people's settings.

One can learn/try etc.

10 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Sensing a pattern here - Megan prints about a couple dozen small minis. Taking a few hours at a time, so she can do multiple runs.

Megan prints about a couple dozen small minis, taking a few hours at a time, so she can do multiple runs.

And, yeah - in the after school game, there IS the possibility of a purple worm being unleashed on the city.

The Auld Grump

I did NOT need to know that!

That means at some point WE will be facing a purple worm, armed only with night sticks.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump

So, that lower half of the body was the biggest print we have attempted.

It was also the most complex - the model is hollow, internally supported by a cubic matrix.

And... it came out better than any of our previous prints - damned near flawless.

I think the bigger print jobs may just be easier for the FDM printers than the smaller models.

The model is a lot lighter than I was expecting - again, it is hollow.

Megan is letting me have the next two nights - and sneaking in a smaller run after the next part finished, then I will take it back over - basically, I am setting up jobs to run overnight, while Megan has the days.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I did NOT need to know that!

That means at some point WE will be facing a purple worm, armed only with night sticks.

Hey, we already have Goremaw - this is a whole lot less impressive than that....

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

Well, I was going to print out some werewolves (kinda look like jackals, so I was going to use them as jackalweres) but it appears something is wrong with my usb drive. I'm only getting partial pics of the files & when I click the file (it doesn't have a preview pic) for the 'wolves it doesn't want to acknowledge it

I'm not surprised really. I feel like I have more problems with this printer then actually using it anymore. So I'll have to go get a new usb stick first. At least the file won't take long, 3 hrs on Chitubox.

• Sad 5

I have a really love/hate relationship with the news chitubox(6.1.5)  When it work corrrectly, it does supports way better than the previous version I was using (6.1.2).  Placement is more accurate when using auto, and even when manually placing supports join better and form trunks down to the build plate just better than they did in the previous versions.  

However, 3 things give me huge fits with the new chitu.  1 is if I try to load too many models to fill my build plate. In the previous version it would just get really slow and laggy and I could remove the model to free up the memory and it would let me go ahead and slice. This version just crashes.  And it could cross that crash threshold during support placement too.   I've had it crash during saving to disk after slicing too.

another is I get WAY more artifacts in the sliced file with this version.  Had some bases I was trying to slice that had a few small mesh errors.  This version kept producing those huge one layer thick rectangular flappy things hanging off the base. Slicing the exact same file in 1.6.2 had no issues at all. (admittedly, fixing the file issues and then reslicing also solved the problem, but still)

The third is that horrible absurd camera drift.  When placing supports, if I switch to another model on the plate, the camera drifts slowly to a new position that usually isn't optimal. And I have to wait for it to finish drifting before I can reposition it or it will keep drifing.  If instead I switch back to the previous item, it doesn't return to the previous position, but goes to some weird random new place.  This makes doing supports on plates with multiple models a very frustrating and annoying task

• Like 2
  • Sad 2