3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

On 9/28/2020 at 2:52 AM, Gadgetman! said:

@TheAuldGrump Have you downloaded the latest updated files for the worm?

I'm pretty certain it was updated recently because of an issue with the upper part.

Not sure when I downloaded it - but it came out quite nicely.

The Tyrant Eye from the Depth Ones set is next.

The Auld Grump - well, after Megan prints her projects.

• Like 2
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

This may have been the reason I kickstarted New Worlds  

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

I have a really love/hate relationship with the news chitubox(6.1.5)  When it work corrrectly, it does supports way better than the previous version I was using (6.1.2).  Placement is more accurate when using auto, and even when manually placing supports join better and form trunks down to the build plate just better than they did in the previous versions.  

However, 3 things give me huge fits with the new chitu.  1 is if I try to load too many models to fill my build plate. In the previous version it would just get really slow and laggy and I could remove the model to free up the memory and it would let me go ahead and slice. This version just crashes.  And it could cross that crash threshold during support placement too.   I've had it crash during saving to disk after slicing too.

another is I get WAY more artifacts in the sliced file with this version.  Had some bases I was trying to slice that had a few small mesh errors.  This version kept producing those huge one layer thick rectangular flappy things hanging off the base. Slicing the exact same file in 1.6.2 had no issues at all. (admittedly, fixing the file issues and then reslicing also solved the problem, but still)

The third is that horrible absurd camera drift.  When placing supports, if I switch to another model on the plate, the camera drifts slowly to a new position that usually isn't optimal. And I have to wait for it to finish drifting before I can reposition it or it will keep drifing.  If instead I switch back to the previous item, it doesn't return to the previous position, but goes to some weird random new place.  This makes doing supports on plates with multiple models a very frustrating and annoying task

Uninstall, go to the site and install a previous version, don't update.

If it works, it works.

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Uninstall, go to the site and install a previous version, don't update.

If it works, it works.

Well, I have both versions installed,  I like how the supports actually work (when they work) in the newer version better.    It's just got some annoyances

• Like 2
On 9/29/2020 at 6:48 AM, Cygnwulf said:

The third is that horrible absurd camera drift.  When placing supports, if I switch to another model on the plate, the camera drifts slowly to a new position that usually isn't optimal. And I have to wait for it to finish drifting before I can reposition it or it will keep drifing.  If instead I switch back to the previous item, it doesn't return to the previous position, but goes to some weird random new place.  This makes doing supports on plates with multiple models a very frustrating and annoying task

Go to Settings --> uncheck the 'In the support mode, the selected model is automatically placed in the center of the perspective'.

Also, Chitubox 1.7.0 is out. Added easier tree supports. Not sure what else it did. I'll be messing with it.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Illithar said:

Also, Chitubox 1.7.0 is out. Added easier tree supports. Not sure what else it did. I'll be messing with it.

I'll be downloading this soon. Prob one of the reason why I haven't messed with stls lately is due to the previous version.

• Like 1

I noticed this yesterday as well.  I plan to give it a shot later this evening.

On an other note, I've been playing with Lychee Slicer.  I really like the UI, but don't think it likes the graphics card in my 8 year old laptop.   Might be an excuse to upgrade the PC.

• Like 2

Well, I downloaded the new Chitubox & re-did a file I needed printed. Prepped & sliced & saved the file to a new USB stick & inserted it into the printer. I turned it on & went to print.............nothing on the screen. Turned it off, pulled the stick & re-inserted it. Turned it on & same thing. I checked the manual & looked at the what the file was saved under & it's under the correct extension (gotta love that one....)

So it appears I may have a 400+ dollar paperweight.......

• Sad 4
7 hours ago, Clearman said:

I noticed this yesterday as well.  I plan to give it a shot later this evening.

On an other note, I've been playing with Lychee Slicer.  I really like the UI, but don't think it likes the graphics card in my 8 year old laptop.   Might be an excuse to upgrade the PC.

Toyed with Lychee a bit tonight. I have Lord of the Prints recent-ish Barbarian supported and sliced entirely in Lychee, I'll lave him to print when I go to work tomorrow. It may be that I am tired and unfamiliar with it, but I found myself getting frustrated and lost in the UI. However, I do like it's support placement methods and auto supports seem better than Chitubox. It does still miss islands though, I also found it flagging things as islands that were not islands. The file had been repaired so I don't think that was an issue. One thing I really appreciate though is that it does take lift speed time and distance into account when estimating the print time, which is something Chitbux does not do. At least not prior to 1.7.0, I have not sliced a file in the latest version yet.

• Like 2
On 10/1/2020 at 7:46 PM, haldir said:

Well, I downloaded the new Chitubox & re-did a file I needed printed. Prepped & sliced & saved the file to a new USB stick & inserted it into the printer. I turned it on & went to print.............nothing on the screen. Turned it off, pulled the stick & re-inserted it. Turned it on & same thing. I checked the manual & looked at the what the file was saved under & it's under the correct extension (gotta love that one....)

Does your printer have a socket for connecting it to a computer using a USB cable? Our Creality does, right next to the slot for an SSD card.

It could be as simple as a damaged port for the thumb drive.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
On 10/2/2020 at 1:46 AM, haldir said:

Contact the manufacturer and ask for one of their sticks?

For the first time I ran into a sculpt too BIG for the Creality printer.

Trying to figure Meshmixer out to split the Wizard Guild main hall into three pieces.

I just feel like building it, painting it, and using it in Frostrangers of Shadowgrave. ::P:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

For the first time I ran into a sculpt too BIG for the Creality printer.

Trying to figure Meshmixer out to split the Wizard Guild main hall into three pieces.

I just feel like building it, painting it, and using it in Frostrangers of Shadowgrave. ::P:

TBH, use MS 3d builder to split the object, it's a lot easier to use than Meshmixer!

• Like 3
  • TaleSpinner changed the title to 3D Printing General Discussion (merged)
  • TaleSpinner pinned this topic