Sign in to follow this  
Anne

3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

On 3/29/2015 at 10:29 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Apart from the developing technology, there is also the fact that part of the hobby ( well for me at least) is scrounging the internet and stores for nice minis.

Somehow if I could just print anything I wanted at home, it would loose some of the joy.

does that make sense to anyone?

I like "discovering" a nice sculpt and buy it.

But who knows , maybe in the future things might change.

How things can change...

I bought a Resin printer this year and am addicted to printing minis now.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 10/3/2020 at 12:30 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

Does your printer have a socket for connecting it to a computer using a USB cable? Our Creality does, right next to the slot for an SSD card.

It could be as simple as a damaged port for the thumb drive.

The Auld Grump

The Photon S only has a USB slot for thumbdrives. Also, even if it did, my resin printer is far enough away from my computer that I'd need a very long USB cord.

On 10/3/2020 at 1:30 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Contact the manufacturer and ask for one of their sticks?

I have the one that came with the printer. Since those are prone to failure, I only use that one for firmware updates. I read somewhere Photons when updating firmware, like the mfc stick vs others. I switched to a name brand as soon as I could.

Who knows, what's wrong with the darn thing. Just seems like there are problems after anther with this machine any more. I have a bit of cash saved up that may apply to a new resin printer as this one isn't under warranty. Since I bought it last Black Friday & I didn't open it till around March or April this year, I spaced off getting the warranty card out & filling it out.....Live 'n Learn I guess.

If anything I'd have 2 resin printers in my stash, if this one ever works properly again. I know I probably won't go with AnyCubic again. Nice printers but I'm kinda wishing I'd had went with anther brand right now.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, haldir said:

The Photon S only has a USB slot for thumbdrives. Also, even if it did, my resin printer is far enough away from my computer that I'd need a very long USB cord.

I have the one that came with the printer. Since those are prone to failure, I only use that one for firmware updates. I read somewhere Photons when updating firmware, like the mfc stick vs others. I switched to a name brand as soon as I could.

Who knows, what's wrong with the darn thing. Just seems like there are problems after anther with this machine any more. I have a bit of cash saved up that may apply to a new resin printer as this one isn't under warranty. Since I bought it last Black Friday & I didn't open it till around March or April this year, I spaced off getting the warranty card out & filling it out.....Live 'n Learn I guess.

If anything I'd have 2 resin printers in my stash, if this one ever works properly again. I know I probably won't go with AnyCubic again. Nice printers but I'm kinda wishing I'd had went with anther brand right now.

I have no regrets yet about the simple Elegoo Mars, but at this moment I would say go for the Elegoo Saturn.

Same quality, better LCD screen and larger build plate!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have no regrets yet about the simple Elegoo Mars, but at this moment I would say go for the Elegoo Saturn.

Same quality, better LCD screen and larger build plate!

I'm actually looking at the Elegoo name as far as brand names.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

TBH, use MS 3d builder to split the object, it's a lot easier to use than Meshmixer!

I recently discovered this this program myself.  I may occasionally use meshmixer for model repairs if necessary but I don't think I've actually opened it in a month....

34 minutes ago, haldir said:

Both the photon and photon S have a secret ethernet port inside the case.  It requires a firmware update though to use I think.

• Like 3

On 10/2/2020 at 1:46 AM, haldir said:

Well, I downloaded the new Chitubox & re-did a file I needed printed. Prepped & sliced & saved the file to a new USB stick & inserted it into the printer. I turned it on & went to print.............nothing on the screen. Turned it off, pulled the stick & re-inserted it. Turned it on & same thing. I checked the manual & looked at the what the file was saved under & it's under the correct extension (gotta love that one....)

So it appears I may have a 400+ dollar paperweight.......

Does the original USB stick work in the printer?  

If not, how does the port feel?

If it's a bit wobbly, it's probably a cracked solder on the connector. Happens sometimes when you have something where an USB device is plugged in and out all the time. 

If so, I'd suggest popping it open and giving the solder joints a bit of a look over. And possibly reheat them.

and get a short USB extension cable. Plug one end into the printer, and plug the USB stick into the other end. Or use a cheap USB hub. 

Reduces the stresss on the connector in the printer. 

• Like 6

3DPrintingPro has a new video reviewing the latest (1.7.0) Chitubox version. The biggest thing he's got is that it's crashing hardly ever, the new features are nice, but no crashes is better.

He also mentions that he will be doing a video over Lychee as well, which I would really like to see.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Illithar said:

He also mentions that he will be doing a video over Lychee as well, which I would really like to see.

I would like to see this as well.  I've already played with it myself, but am curious to see if my presumptions are correct.  For some reason I'm drawn to Lychee.  Might be because I'm attracted to the new shinny.  Might be because I like to route for the underdog.  I just wish my hardware was able to handle it. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Illithar said:

3DPrintingPro has a new video reviewing the latest (1.7.0) Chitubox version. The biggest thing he's got is that it's crashing hardly ever, the new features are nice, but no crashes is better.

Going to upgrade then!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Clearman said:

I would like to see this as well.  I've already played with it myself, but am curious to see if my presumptions are correct.  For some reason I'm drawn to Lychee.  Might be because I'm attracted to the new shinny.  Might be because I like to route for the underdog.  I just wish my hardware was able to handle it. 

I like lychee's UI, and it seems to auto support better except for needing to lean heavily on my badly underspec GPU which makes it rather slow.

I will say that the chitubox 1.7 update seems to be a great stability release though. The built in tree supports are nice, but the biggest advantages to me are all the bugfixes they packed in to this one.  It's not crashing on me any more so I can actually use all the cool new support features that were in 1.6.5 that I never got to because it would crash before I got there.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 5

Our first practical print - took less than an hour. ::):

I have a coworker that insists on wearing a My Hero Academia face mask, which is just a little too small for him, so his schnoz keeps popping out.

I printed him an 'Ear Saver' - a plastic widget with rounded hooks to hold a masks ear loops.

With a Baby Yoda on it.

He was one happy nerdling, and it worked like a charm. ::):

I'm an engineer, that means I solve problems....

The Auld Grump - I handled a social problem with a mechanical solution.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

I'm not sure what feels more old school, sneakerneting files from my computer to the printer or the character limit on the CR-6's display.

Old school not, I prefer the sneakernet method of getting my files to the printer than over a network. I dread the day I am asked to install network drivers for these bloody things. I deal with enough printer shenanigans at work...

Edited by Illithar
  • Like 5