3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

The printers with Ethernet aren't all that bad. They usually just have a web-based interface where you can upload files and start the print.

It's the Wireless models that are pure Minotaur droppings. 

Some of them can't be easily hooked onto your existing WiFi network, but sets up their own network that you then have to connect your PC to. 

Which often means disconnecting it from your regular network so that you can't download Patreon Rewards or scour MMF or Thingiverse at the same time. 

• Like 5
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

So, I was on the line with an EPAX rep the other day trying to determine if the X1-k would meet the print quality needs we are looking for to produce master copies (close but probably not quite).  Any

Posted Images

On 10/5/2020 at 6:45 AM, haldir said:

The Photon S only has a USB slot for thumbdrives. Also, even if it did, my resin printer is far enough away from my computer that I'd need a very long USB cord.

I have the one that came with the printer. Since those are prone to failure, I only use that one for firmware updates. I read somewhere Photons when updating firmware, like the mfc stick vs others. I switched to a name brand as soon as I could.

Who knows, what's wrong with the darn thing. Just seems like there are problems after anther with this machine any more. I have a bit of cash saved up that may apply to a new resin printer as this one isn't under warranty. Since I bought it last Black Friday & I didn't open it till around March or April this year, I spaced off getting the warranty card out & filling it out.....Live 'n Learn I guess.

If anything I'd have 2 resin printers in my stash, if this one ever works properly again. I know I probably won't go with AnyCubic again. Nice printers but I'm kinda wishing I'd had went with anther brand right now.

Try exporting the supported STLs from Chitubox and then slice them in Photon Workshop.  It is a pain, but it works.  I have the blank scree issue once in a while, but if you press back, then Print again it usually clears up.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Try exporting the supported STLs from Chitubox and then slice them in Photon Workshop.  It is a pain, but it works.  I have the blank scree issue once in a while, but if you press back, then Print again it usually clears up.

I'll say if you're going to be exporting supported models to slice in PW anyway, take a look at Prusa Slicer too, I much prefer how it does supports to chitubox AND it runs better on my potato....

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 2

So my Photon S is a pretty decoration in my house right now & I've been looking at both the Photon Mars & the Mars Pro. I will admit, the reason why I'm looking at these two vs waiting for a Saturn or even the next gens of AnyCubic is the usage on here & allot of 3d printing groups. I'll probably use AmahZhon when I buy & I think I'm gonna go with the Pro, but I came across this recent review (Aug 20th):

"There is a major design flaw with the UV array on this printer that causes grid lines and holes to appear on prints, supports to fail, and other major problems. Elegoo has publicly admitted that this is an issue, but they continue selling these defective Mars Pros on Amazon. They even say "matrix light source consists of 28 50Watt UV LED lights that have uniform light emission, ensuring superior printing results" in the product listing. That is a lie. They know that's not true.

The original (non-Pro) Mars doesn't have a UV array like the Pro and the original Mars doesn't have this issue. Elegoo announced that they can fix this problem with a replacement UV array, but they have been shipping replacement parts to many of us over the past couple of months and none of the replacement parts have fixed this problem. STAY AWAY!"

& with me having a Photon S I'm kinda skeptical with the "improved" version of a basic but popular printer (Mars/Pro Photon/S). Am I reading into this review too much or should I just order the Mars Pro. I see @Glitterwolf has had tremendous success with his Mars printer & having him & other Mars users on here is a big factor as well. So yah I'm a bit perplexed when purchasing a new printer. I even contemplated ordering the special green printer from MMF as I like the color. ha ha. Nice deal with MMF+ but you'd have to spend the 100+ on + & then the cash for the printer. Something I really don't want to do right now.

If anything, if I can get the S working again, I'll have 2 resin printers. Right now, I just want 1 good one!

• Like 2
On 10/9/2020 at 5:42 AM, TaleSpinner said:

As a last ditch effort for this machine, I decided to do a stl in Workshop (oh I remembered why I didn't like that slicer) then to the compute, then to the a new usb drive I bought to replace the other one. Nothing again on the printer, sigh. I decided to use Gadgetman's advice with the original usb drive. I found the sliced file & then copied over to the drive. Insert that into the printer & it shows up, along with the 2 firmware files that was the only thing on there. Clicked the file & I'm printing....wth?

If the OEM usb drives are unreliable & this is the only way I can print, I'm pretty much living on borrowed time for this printer now. BTW, the usb slot is solid, no wiggle at all. Still looking for a replacement printer.

Also, why does dragon remind me of Burt Reynolds.

720X720-dragontank-1-1.jpg

The Bard's Dragon by Twin Goddess

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
10 hours ago, haldir said:

So my Photon S is a pretty decoration in my house right now & I've been looking at both the Photon Mars & the Mars Pro. I will admit, the reason why I'm looking at these two vs waiting for a Saturn or even the next gens of AnyCubic is the usage on here & allot of 3d printing groups. I'll probably use AmahZhon when I buy & I think I'm gonna go with the Pro, but I came across this recent review (Aug 20th):

"There is a major design flaw with the UV array on this printer that causes grid lines and holes to appear on prints, supports to fail, and other major problems. Elegoo has publicly admitted that this is an issue, but they continue selling these defective Mars Pros on Amazon. They even say "matrix light source consists of 28 50Watt UV LED lights that have uniform light emission, ensuring superior printing results" in the product listing. That is a lie. They know that's not true.

The original (non-Pro) Mars doesn't have a UV array like the Pro and the original Mars doesn't have this issue. Elegoo announced that they can fix this problem with a replacement UV array, but they have been shipping replacement parts to many of us over the past couple of months and none of the replacement parts have fixed this problem. STAY AWAY!"

& with me having a Photon S I'm kinda skeptical with the "improved" version of a basic but popular printer (Mars/Pro Photon/S). Am I reading into this review too much or should I just order the Mars Pro. I see @Glitterwolf has had tremendous success with his Mars printer & having him & other Mars users on here is a big factor as well. So yah I'm a bit perplexed when purchasing a new printer. I even contemplated ordering the special green printer from MMF as I like the color. ha ha. Nice deal with MMF+ but you'd have to spend the 100+ on + & then the cash for the printer. Something I really don't want to do right now.

If anything, if I can get the S working again, I'll have 2 resin printers. Right now, I just want 1 good one!

So far I'm indeed happy with the Mars.

If I were in your shoes I would go for the Saturn.

Why? Bigger build plate, you can print bigger monsters and more terrain and it has the new monochrome 4K LCD which should last longer.

And...if you do get the S to work again you will have two different ones instead of two similar ones.

@SamuraiJack recently bought one, not sure if there are others here who have one already.

Should my Mars die in the future then I will probably go for a Saturn or the next version.

The MMF Sale is cool, but only if you also want the minis they offer as a deal with it.

If I had to buy one now I would not have gone for that one, I would buy it on sale elsewhere without the bundle I don't like and buy the stuff I do like for the same price.

I would read more reviews, and also watch some youtube reviews about the issue.

At first I was really afraid to buy a resin printer at all.

The LCD screen being a consumable, I was afraid I would burn through it in a month..

So far still on the first one. ( I did stop printing during the hot Summer though, and now I'm first painting through the printed stack before I print again, but I suspect it will be soon..)

And I do have a spare, watched some videos about it and I hope I'll be able to replace it when needed without killing the printer.

That's still my biggest fear. Probably unfounded and because I'm basically a non-tech person.

I chose the Elegoo Mars back then ( Saturn wasn't out yet, Pro was) because it was 

A - on sale

B - the Pro was more expensive and from what I read it wasn't that much better anyway...AKA was the price worth it?

C - there is a large community out there and most reviews said Elegoo had a good customer support. ( not sure if that one is true , haven't had to deal with them).

D - It was basically plug and play to set it up. Even changing the FEP was pretty easy to do with the help of Youtube.

I use the original grey resin from Elegoo with the recommende settings.

Adjusted the exposure time etc as recommended by 3Dprintingpro on youtube.

So far good results, you have seen my thread about it.

I think i've had about two failures due to wrong supports and one failure, but that was an experiment to see if I could shrink bugs to a real tiny size.

That went wrong also.

But overall I've had a lot of perfect prints.

I do damage a mini every now and then when removing supports, but that's usually an easy fix.

About the S.

Isn't there a repair service for these things?

Of course price of repairs could exceed the price of a new one if things get bad, so one should make good arrangements for that.

It's a bummer it doesn't work anymore.

Have you contacted their customer service? Maybe they can still help you out with this.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, haldir said:

As a last ditch effort for this machine, I decided to do a stl in Workshop (oh I remembered why I didn't like that slicer) then to the compute, then to the a new usb drive I bought to replace the other one. Nothing again on the printer, sigh. I decided to use Gadgetman's advice with the original usb drive. I found the sliced file & then copied over to the drive. Insert that into the printer & it shows up, along with the 2 firmware files that was the only thing on there. Clicked the file & I'm printing....wth?

If the OEM usb drives are unreliable & this is the only way I can print, I'm pretty much living on borrowed time for this printer now. BTW, the usb slot is solid, no wiggle at all. Still looking for a replacement printer.

Check which file system is on the different sticks. 

you may need to reformat the new one to suitt the printer.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, haldir said:

Also, why does dragon remind me of Burt Reynolds.

720X720-dragontank-1-1.jpg

The Bard's Dragon by Twin Goddess

Mum still has that Cosmo.

I MAY have looked at it, once or twice. ::P:

• Haha 4

So, I finally broke down, bought a Mars Pro so I could justify some of the various KS I have backed for the stls.  Opened the box, plugged it in, turned it on, and nothing.  I managed to get a dud unit.  Huzzah. . . .

At least the return process is easy enough.

• Sad 2
8 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Check which file system is on the different sticks. 

you may need to reformat the new one to suitt the printer.

It shouldn't be any different then when I was getting stls off the drive, as I've only used this drive for stls that were sliced with Chitubox. The newer drive I bought after finding out I was having this problem, might be a problem. I'll take a look at that today.

To even complicate things, there are files on the primary (Sandisk) usb stick that I sliced with Anycubic's before I switched over to Chitubox that aren't showing up either. I have no idea what's going with that printer.

I do know, I had a successful print yesterday. I picked up a Will O' Wisp file off thingiverse (simple ball on a stick) & that was with the OEM stick & using Photon Workshop. I hate using both, but if that's what it takes to print, then I guess I gotta use that. Anther good thing, is the print was directly in the center of the LCD, so no problems with that.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

So far I'm indeed happy with the Mars.

If I were in your shoes I would go for the Saturn.

Why? Bigger build plate, you can print bigger monsters and more terrain and it has the new monochrome 4K LCD which should last longer.

I have the Ender 3 & 6 for my bigger stuff, so I'm not really worried about bigger stuff. I know I can print minis on the Enders, I just want them to be resin printed.

The MMF Sale is cool, but only if you also want the minis they offer as a deal with it.

If I had to buy one now I would not have gone for that one, I would buy it on sale elsewhere without the bundle I don't like and buy the stuff I do like for the same price.

Actually there isn't a bundle included now. You pay $324+ for the printer, get the green coloring, a green d20 & a 50% off coupon code for anything on MMF. Signing up with the yearly option you get a 100.00 off the printer but of course you gotta pay up front the yearly cost at $7.49 ($89.88), so your getting a $11 or so discount on the printer. it's currently out of stock anyways, so that a big hit as I need the printer now for upcoming games.

I would read more reviews, and also watch some youtube reviews about the issue.

At first I was really afraid to buy a resin printer at all.

The LCD screen being a consumable, I was afraid I would burn through it in a month..

So far still on the first one. ( I did stop printing during the hot Summer though, and now I'm first painting through the printed stack before I print again, but I suspect it will be soon..)

And I do have a spare, watched some videos about it and I hope I'll be able to replace it when needed without killing the printer.

That's still my biggest fear. Probably unfounded and because I'm basically a non-tech person.

One of the reason I went with Anycubic was due to reviews, name & other factors, but I will admit Elegoo was also on my mind. One of the factors I didn't like was the removable top. I like the door (no need to find room for the cover, might bump the print, etc etc.). In the end I went with the Anycubic S & that was a knee-jerk purchase on Black Friday due to it on sale on Amazon at the time (I think I paid 350). So far, I will admit, I've expected more from it, thus my reason for doubting a upgraded version of a basic but workable printer like the Photon. Which comes around to the Mars vs Mars Pro debating I'm having.

I chose the Elegoo Mars back then ( Saturn wasn't out yet, Pro was) because it was 

A - on sale

B - the Pro was more expensive and from what I read it wasn't that much better anyway...AKA was the price worth it?

C - there is a large community out there and most reviews said Elegoo had a good customer support. ( not sure if that one is true , haven't had to deal with them).

D - It was basically plug and play to set it up. Even changing the FEP was pretty easy to do with the help of Youtube.

This is a big factor right now. I've seen your prints & others & I'd be very happy with those. Why, I'm having the Mars vs M pro debate again. That review & along with other lcd reviews has me worried & now I see @warlordgarou DOA printer has me worried a bit about the Mars Pro.

I use the original grey resin from Elegoo with the recommende settings.

Adjusted the exposure time etc as recommended by 3Dprintingpro on youtube.

So far good results, you have seen my thread about it.

I think i've had about two failures due to wrong supports and one failure, but that was an experiment to see if I could shrink bugs to a real tiny size.

That went wrong also.

But overall I've had a lot of perfect prints.

I do damage a mini every now and then when removing supports, but that's usually an easy fix.

About the only person I've seen give me settings for the S is Talespinner & when I used his recommendation, it failed everytime. I'm sure it's me but yah kinda frustrating, when I can't find settings for this machine. I've asked on the bookeyface Anycubic group & pretty much got a typical FB response (nothing helpful). I've looked into reddit (which I like but the format of that social site is well, not to my liking) & got some decent advice but I'm still having setting problems. I've tried that site with the Excel spreadsheet for Anycubic & resins but of course all it has is the Photon & not the S as the machine it's using. You'd think there would be something out there for the S, being the upgrade for the Photon???? 

Again, it's probably me & not being able to dial this damn thing right.......

About the S.

Isn't there a repair service for these things?

Of course price of repairs could exceed the price of a new one if things get bad, so one should make good arrangements for that.

It's a bummer it doesn't work anymore.

Have you contacted their customer service? Maybe they can still help you out with this.

Again, as I took forever to even open the box I'm pretty sure the warranty fill-out period is gone. Purchased late Nov '19 opened around March '20. Repairs are probably sending it back to China & then waiting & waiting & waiting. I will contact them this week, just to see if anything can be done. I just want a resin printer that works!!!!

• Like 4
  • TaleSpinner changed the title to 3D Printing General Discussion (merged)
  • TaleSpinner pinned this topic