3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

7 minutes ago, Rahz said:

So I finally got time to replace the FEP and when I was trimming off the excess, I may have nicked the new fep...  :down:  put some water in it in the hopes of confirming if it's water-tight or not.  If there's any moisture on the papertowel later, I guess I get to remove all those little screws again...  Now to start digging around online for replacement FEP as the 2 that came with it may not see me through the week... 

Checked the table and machine, they're level, re-leveled the build plate and made sure everything was crazy tight.  Once the fep passes the water test, I'll try another small print to see what happens. 

flexvat . com is your friend here. They might be a little more then some others, but you can get em pre-drilled & there is no trimming involved!!

You can get it in 2 or 4 packs.

Speaking of FEP, It appear my printing effort is all for naught. The 4 whisps I tried to print (with my LCD problems in the past + all the current problems, I only placed the minis in the corners of the build plate, away from the center, probably why it failed.....) failed. I didn't think the whisps required a supports more then light but seeing that none of them printed, I guess not....<_<

I'll try tomorrow, thou tonight, I get to clean FEP!!! Oh joy!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, haldir said:

flexvat . com is your friend here. They might be a little more then some others, but you can get em pre-drilled & there is no trimming involved!!

You can get it in 2 or 4 packs.

Speaking of FEP, It appear my printing effort is all for naught. The 4 whisps I tried to print (with my LCD problems in the past + all the current problems, I only placed the minis in the corners of the build plate, away from the center, probably why it failed.....) failed. I didn't think the whisps required a supports more then light but seeing that none of them printed, I guess not....<_<

I'll try tomorrow, thou tonight, I get to clean FEP!!! Oh joy!!!

I have rarely gotten light supports to work on the S; I don't think it has the resolution to print them correctly.  I always support with medium supports and then replace a few fine detail areas with light ones.  Even then, a lot of the light ones are broken off of the model after print and don't seem to have functioned.  Compare that to the test prints we had done on the Solus, those came in with supports that I could only call mini, they were so fine as to be just a thread.  I expect to have to learn a whole new way of supporting a mini once the new higher res printer comes.

• Like 5

I start in Chitu-box and spend a lot of time reorienting the piece to need as few supports as possible, then support it, and save it out as an STL.  Then I open it and any others I am going to print in Photon workshop, position themon the print bed with the heaviest pieces in the center, and slice it.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

We have the new Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K on order.  This is the first printer under $10,000 to get under 40nm on the XY resolution (35 nm in this case).

Review of said printer with prints: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHSYVJfxpyA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1mKJOXRbIRqf3u3PU6iLOPgRHCnPxtBf4YCwPhApBUYGheRgsVrJg5OA8

We hope to use this to print masters for metal casting. 

The Kudo3d Titan 2 HR can do 23um with 10um layers, and costs $4K 

But build size is 44x24.8x250mm

The Titan 3(coming) can do resolutions from 25 to 100um, with layer thickness as low as 5um, and with build area of 48 x 27 x 250 mm (25μm) to 192 x 108 x 250 mm (100μm).

The Micro... 

28.8 x 16.2 x 150 mm (15μm) or 48 x 27 x 150 mm (25μm)

(This one is really for 'micro fluidics', microneedles, micromachining and other sciency stuff)   

Just a pity that their support is really pants. 

• Like 3

Maybe I should have said "First that I was aware of" or "First in our market space".  We'd spent a good deal of time looking at printers like the Solus Pro, but the cost was so high.  Now that same tech, plus a mono screen and parallel light arrays is available at 1/20 the cost.  

• Like 3
15 hours ago, haldir said:

I guess use this thread vs the all purpose one we've been using??

Anyways, I just downloaded the "Whisp" stl & when it opens in Photon Workshop, it's orientated with the tail of the "flame" on the bed, along with the back edge of the base. Do you guys re-orientate files or do you stick with what the sculptor put the file at? Normally I'll just take the file, angle it 45 to 50 degrees on it's back & then (raise) let the slicer take it from there. I say raised in quotes as Photon Workshop doesn't do that like Chitubox does & the test Will-o-Wisp I did over the weekend has a flat spot on the ball part.....:rock:

Just curious, really. I know we all do things different & all. I'm was wondering why some sculptors pose them like this, some pose on their backs, upright, etc etc.

I have more than once changed orientation.

Usually in order to save printing time.

I had the scorpion (Kerilith Lair Guardian) as presupported and it stood upright by default. ( tail down heads up)

So I checked for islands, it was terrible!

I ended up removing all supports, putting it on its back and added my own supports.

Flawless print and saving 2 hours of print time.

Keep in mind print time is equal to your LCD's lifespan.

Why push it to the limit for nothing?

20200718_165743.jpg.a001d46b29579e9d5abaed6342c41d52.jpg

20200718_170239.jpg.1da67711761a451d562f904c2c392c6d.jpg

20200719_090043.jpg

• Like 5

The Formware slicer I use has an 'Auto orient' function that you can set to optimise available build area(everything as vertical as possible to fit more parts), speed(lays everything as flat as possible to reduce print time) and as few supports as possible.

The long-suffering Fraia (female dwarf with split skirt and two beer mugs in one hand) ended up upside down. when I tried that function. 

(Optimised for supports. )

• Like 4
8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I have rarely gotten light supports to work on the S; I don't think it has the resolution to print them correctly.  I always support with medium supports and then replace a few fine detail areas with light ones.  Even then, a lot of the light ones are broken off of the model after print and don't seem to have functioned.  Compare that to the test prints we had done on the Solus, those came in with supports that I could only call mini, they were so fine as to be just a thread.  I expect to have to learn a whole new way of supporting a mini once the new higher res printer comes.

I've gotten 'em to work before so figure with this being smaller figures with wispy trails, but it wasn't to be. Ok, I did open a new file in Chitu (btw new update is sooooooo much smoother then the previous one!!!) & supported (even the supports in that slicer look better) & changed to Medium as well. I even took a chance & added a couple more minis to the plate (so total of 6). I saved as stl & then opened in photon & sliced it with that slicer. Hopefully I'll have some 'whisps" in about 2 1/2 hours.

Btw, can you or anyone that uses Photon Workshop, move the files with the mouse while in that program or is it all, click or type numbers in the movment window???? I mean WTH?? if you can't as I'm clicking the up & down to move in place. Damn, do I despise that slicer......

• Like 2
On 10/14/2020 at 10:25 AM, Rahz said:

So, upon closer inspection of the stuff I’ve printed off on my Saturn, there appears to be a problem...  and I managed to puncture the fep while trying to clean up a rather spectacular failed print so I need to replace that before I can try again. 

74537617-15CB-4C30-B02F-3287BA627BE4.thumb.jpeg.dd5eee0de7f9ca2dd67deb45fa13f163.jpeg

Something is off for the first 2-4mm followed by a bigger jump and then another slight one at about 8mm up. After that it prints straight with no issues.  Can’t find a bend or gunk on the z-axis, cleaned and relubbed it.  I was going to print off a cube after the last failure to get a sense of which direction things are “pulling” but that will have to wait until I change the fep. 

D281589B-FFE6-4472-B165-24E8E1069C21.thumb.jpeg.408536ca50a5069f484b29a55343c036.jpeg

245E143B-498A-47AE-8CF8-4CFC8554FBA3.thumb.jpeg.11ae48a46e620c0aa843ba2b1a0b400b.jpeg

8B9BF98E-1DEF-450F-8F73-6053B2745DEF.thumb.jpeg.22aff99b6d082833791cd40e9b8f189e.jpeg

Any thoughts?  Going to post this on the elegoo FB page too, but you guys are way cooler.  :winkthumbs:

On 10/14/2020 at 5:32 PM, Gadgetman! said:

The last time I had something like that I hadn't tightened properly the knob holding the print plate onto the Z-axis...   

This is the most likely problem, but there is also a possibility that the z-axis screw is wobbling and that's causing the offset...

• Like 2

When Grump pledged for our 3-D printer, his excuse was that it would mostly be for me. <_<

I didn't realize HE WAS RIGHT! :lol: He is SOOO smug about that. :wub:

The thing he got wrong was what we would be printing.

He was thinking buildings, but Patreon keeps telling us minis. ::D:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, haldir said:

I've gotten 'em to work before so figure with this being smaller figures with wispy trails, but it wasn't to be. Ok, I did open a new file in Chitu (btw new update is sooooooo much smoother then the previous one!!!) & supported (even the supports in that slicer look better) & changed to Medium as well. I even took a chance & added a couple more minis to the plate (so total of 6). I saved as stl & then opened in photon & sliced it with that slicer. Hopefully I'll have some 'whisps" in about 2 1/2 hours.

Btw, can you or anyone that uses Photon Workshop, move the files with the mouse while in that program or is it all, click or type numbers in the movment window???? I mean WTH?? if you can't as I'm clicking the up & down to move in place. Damn, do I despise that slicer......

Select the move Icon on the left then look at the selected figure, there will be direction arrows an a faint yellow box.  If you click and hold in the yellow box, you can move it anywhere.

image.png.a3e3b47e00d6b40e8969a86531c59c77.png

And yes, I agree, it is a sucky interface.

• Like 4
39 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Select the move Icon on the left then look at the selected figure, there will be direction arrows an a faint yellow box.  If you click and hold in the yellow box, you can move it anywhere.

image.png.a3e3b47e00d6b40e8969a86531c59c77.png

And yes, I agree, it is a sucky interface.

I was wondering what the square was for. Figure it just some fancy graphic. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

When Grump pledged for our 3-D printer, his excuse was that it would mostly be for me. <_<

I didn't realize HE WAS RIGHT! :lol: He is SOOO smug about that. :wub:

The thing he got wrong was what we would be printing.

He was thinking buildings, but Patreon keeps telling us minis. ::D:

Hey, to be fair, I am printing buildings.

For the next 24 hours the printer will be working on the first part of a small prison. (The Garner St. Lockup, for the cops game.)

city_of_tarok_merchant_house_prison_pic0

Not a full Precinct House, just a place for four patrolmen, a sergeant, and room for between four and eight prisoners, until the Mariah can take them to a larger location.

image.png.cd4f03617d6f6d71db8fe8dd730917bd.png

Gee, I have both the Mariah and the Lockup... what are the odds there will be a combat?

It is where the kobolds the PCs captured are going to be kept - kobolds are considered 'low risk' prisoners - and their reaction to Casey was worrisome.)

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

This is the most likely problem, but there is also a possibility that the z-axis screw is wobbling and that's causing the offset...

A Z-axis wobble will result in a spiral offset. The cylindrical object would end up more like a fat corkscrew with smooth transitions.

Instead it shows sudden repositioning.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

A Z-axis wobble will result in a spiral offset. The cylindrical object would end up more like a fat corkscrew with smooth transitions.

Instead it shows sudden repositioning.

Very true - I was going based on what I've seen with my own FDM machines as I've never seen this effect on my Photon

• Like 2