Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Anne

3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Recommended Posts

It's one of the few errors I haven't seen on an FDM printer, yet...    

 

Well, maybe my Prusa Mendel had that issue. Among all the other issues... 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: it seems my fep is ok.  Night with water in it was fine, a day with resin in it produced no leaks either.  Still worried I have a potential weak spot, but I’ll keep an eye on it and maybe not leave resin in the car all the time as I normally do. 
 

So I re-levelled everything, tightened everything like crazy and printed a cube.  It’s better than the other stuff, but there is still a problem at 5mm and then at 10mm-13mm. The rest seems mostly ok.  Bit of elephant foot on the cube but I can live with that and tweak my settings a little to lessen it.  there is also a bit of a lip on the top which I find strange.  
 

going to try some of the same barrels again to see.  2BF41BAE-CFA1-4E12-89EA-D37D6112CA9E.thumb.jpeg.f9836fe4192a7749646263862abd14e6.jpeg
 

 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Hey, to be fair, I am printing buildings.

 

For the next 24 hours the printer will be working on the first part of a small prison. (The Garner St. Lockup, for the cops game.)

 

city_of_tarok_merchant_house_prison_pic0

Not a full Precinct House, just a place for four patrolmen, a sergeant, and room for between four and eight prisoners, until the Mariah can take them to a larger location.

image.png.cd4f03617d6f6d71db8fe8dd730917bd.png

Gee, I have both the Mariah and the Lockup... what are the odds there will be a combat?

 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

It is where the kobolds the PCs captured are going to be kept - kobolds are considered 'low risk' prisoners - and their reaction to Casey was worrisome.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Auld Grump

Is that where they are putting those damned kobolds?

 

I know we can't keep them, not after they fell on their knees in front of Casey.

 

That's where Gorder and Phalz are from, right? Not our precinct?

 

Oh, Grump is printing that with NO SUPPORTS, and it is looking FINE!

 

Impressive. ::):

 

And yea, Gorder and Phalz are from the Garner St. Lockup. I THOUGHT that sounded familiar.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rahz said:

Update: it seems my fep is ok.  Night with water in it was fine, a day with resin in it produced no leaks either.  Still worried I have a potential weak spot, but I’ll keep an eye on it and maybe not leave resin in the car all the time as I normally do. 
 

So I re-levelled everything, tightened everything like crazy and printed a cube.  It’s better than the other stuff, but there is still a problem at 5mm and then at 10mm-13mm. The rest seems mostly ok.  Bit of elephant foot on the cube but I can live with that and tweak my settings a little to lessen it.  there is also a bit of a lip on the top which I find strange.  
 

going to try some of the same barrels again to see.  2BF41BAE-CFA1-4E12-89EA-D37D6112CA9E.thumb.jpeg.f9836fe4192a7749646263862abd14e6.jpeg
 

 

 

Check your build plate.  Grab it by the top block in one hand and the plate in the other and try to move the plate, side to side or rotationally.  If it moves at all, you need to take it apart and tighted the screws inside.  There are good instructions for this on YouTube.  I had to do that a month or so a go.  Apparently, it just gets loose over time. There are 4 screws inside that need to be set and tight. If any loosen the plate can move slightly during a build.

 

 

The other thing I would check is your screw and rail(s) look at the areas where the screw would be at at 5 and 10mm as it builds.  I suspect it could have a worn or flat spot on the screw that causes the plate to loosen when it passes that spot first at 5mm and then at 10mm (enter and exit).

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shekshee!!! (As said by Sir Sean Connery)

 

 

 

Finally took the Ender 6 out of it's shipping box today. I took my time assembling, making sure everything was in place & such. I'll start it up tomorrow after D&D.

 

16029024239084635504534693461020.jpg

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

 

Check your build plate.  Grab it by the top block in one hand and the plate in the other and try to move the plate, side to side or rotationally.  If it moves at all, you need to take it apart and tighted the screws inside.  There are good instructions for this on YouTube.  I had to do that a month or so a go.  Apparently, it just gets loose over time. There are 4 screws inside that need to be set and tight. If any loosen the plate can move slightly during a build.

 

 

The other thing I would check is your screw and rail(s) look at the areas where the screw would be at at 5 and 10mm as it builds.  I suspect it could have a worn or flat spot on the screw that causes the plate to loosen when it passes that spot first at 5mm and then at 10mm (enter and exit).

 

 

Some time ago I had a problem with my PLA printer that made lines in the print where there should not be any. This was caused by the z-axis screw rod needing some oil, as it got partially stuck in places. might this be a similar case?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 11:08 AM, PaganMegan said:

Is that where they are putting those damned kobolds?

 

I know we can't keep them, not after they fell on their knees in front of Casey.

 

That's where Gorder and Phalz are from, right? Not our precinct?

 

Oh, Grump is printing that with NO SUPPORTS, and it is looking FINE!

 

Impressive. ::):

 

And yea, Gorder and Phalz are from the Garner St. Lockup. I THOUGHT that sounded familiar.

Jeezum, why did I even bother using spoilers? :lol:

 

The first part of that building was our first perfect print.

 

Megan is doing her ilithid opera singer, then I am starting on the second part of the building. A two day print,

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That print was awesome.

 

It made me know two things, Grump is right, FDM is MUCH better at terrain than with minis.

 

And that I REALLY want a resin printer.

 

I really did think Grump got this as one of those presents a husband gets for himself and gives to his wife. Hey, honey, you've always wanted a band saw, right?

 

Now here I am wanting ANOTHER ONE! ::D:  And taking classes for it!

 

He KNEW I would love this. Better than I did.

 

BUT now I need to get more terrain, and wait until we can get the resin printer of my dreams. ::P:  Saturn, unless Black Friday has a really good price on the EPax.

 

And I have a weird weird desire to do a Vikings vs Cthulhu diorama. Probably end up with Vikings & Frost Giants vs Nightmare Creatures instead, for Jon &Julie's Christmas present. With removable giants and Vikings, more of a display base for Vanguard than diorama.

 

I'll be painting Jon's Vikings, let Grump paint Julie's Nightstalkers.

 

Yeppers, stage two has set in, using the 3-D printer to make presents. ::P: And making Jon & Julie want their OWN printer(s). :lol: 

 

Does it work like that for everyone? Wanting to lure others into 3-D printing?

 

We already lured Dunc, he has the same Creality we do. Well, us and Brent at Crossroad. (Shout out! Crossroad Games is awesome!)

 

Greg beat us. He's had an Ender 3 for years.

 

Dennis the Younger and Jon & Julie are next, I think. Jen and Jenny are resistant and tune out 3-D printing chatter. Gawd, we have a lot of Js in our circle. Jen can share Dennis the Younger's, they are keeping house. ::):

 

I think she will lose her resistance once she plays with one. She and me are pretty close types, and I was resistant too.

 

Also, I want another so I don't have to wait to print while the Creality is busy. This next part of the building will take two days, and I want to print the giant with the bell.

 

And here I thought it would be spending most of its time gathering dust. An expensive paperweight. :lol:

 

This is an argument Grump has won hands down.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Jeezum, why did I even bother using spoilers? :lol:

 

The first part of that building was our first perfect print.

 

Megan is doing her ilithid opera singer, then I am starting on the second part of the building. A two day print,

 

The Auld Grump

That's why you love me! ::D:

 

I really did not realize a 3-D printer would make me feel flirty! :lol:

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

That's why you love me! ::D:

 

I really did not realize a 3-D printer would make me feel flirty! :lol:

 

Can only hope mine will have the same affect on my wife when it shows up. Doubtful but a man can dream. One of my first prints is going to be the Eiffel Tower because she's been there and has a thing for Paris. Gotta do whatever I can to make her happier about spending that much money.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Zink said:

 

Can only hope mine will have the same affect on my wife when it shows up. Doubtful but a man can dream. One of my first prints is going to be the Eiffel Tower because she's been there and has a thing for Paris. Gotta do whatever I can to make her happier about spending that much money.

Get her to play with it and pick what she wants to print.

 

Engage her with it.

 

Don't be surprised if she wants to print something you never expected - Mum wanted us to print a PICTURE FRAME! So, we printed picture frames.

 

Go over the catalogs with her. Engage her, get her to think of it as HER printer that she lets you use.

 

Grump could get away with pushing me off the cliff and yelling SWIM!

 

But Grump knew that was the best way to get me in the water. Sending me the link to MMF and standing back while I dog paddled around the pool.

 

And telling me that it's MY printer, that he will be using now and again.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 11:08 AM, PaganMegan said:

Is that where they are putting those damned kobolds?

 

I know we can't keep them, not after they fell on their knees in front of Casey.

 

That's where Gorder and Phalz are from, right? Not our precinct?

 

Oh, Grump is printing that with NO SUPPORTS, and it is looking FINE!

 

Impressive. ::):

 

And yea, Gorder and Phalz are from the Garner St. Lockup. I THOUGHT that sounded familiar.

I did manage to surprise her - she was expecting a prison break, instead somebody just killed most of them with a fireball, catching a couple of PCs in the blast.

 

As one of the two healers in the squad, she got stuck with keeping two of the kobolds and those PCs alive, while the rest of the party hared off after the assassin.

 

The party is 4th level, and most of the kobolds were 1st - that healing is all that kept them from dying the next round or two.

 

It seems someone was not happy with them being caught.

 

And this was all sandwiched in before heading back to the inn - all they were supposed to do was pick up Gorder, Phalz, and a few cops from the Garner St. Lockup. (I fudged time, rather than having it happen off screen.)

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife strongly appreciates that I can make rings and jewelry in ZBrush, print them in castable resin, and then cast them into gold or silver.  Yeah she REALLY likes that part; sometimes I think I may be married to a dragon (the kids actually have debates about what kind of dragon she is).

  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

My wife strongly appreciates that I can make rings and jewelry in ZBrush, print them in castable resin, and then cast them into gold or silver.  Yeah she REALLY likes that part; sometimes I think I may be married to a dragon (the kids actually have debates about what kind of dragon she is).

That has me wicked excited, though I am starting with Blender.

 

Even a student license for ZBrush is super duper expensive.

 

Some tools I find myself vocalizing. "Extruuuuuude!"

 

Need a few more credits to take the jewelry making class, entering the game late. :lol:

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...