Sign in to follow this  
Anne

3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

4 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

That has me wicked excited, though I am starting with Blender.

Even a student license for ZBrush is super duper expensive.

Some tools I find myself vocalizing. "Extruuuuuude!"

Need a few more credits to take the jewelry making class, entering the game late. :lol:

Anything I can do to help, let me know.  These were printed from my Photon S in BlueCast X10 and then cast in my lost wax foundry:

78400623_2988064264613790_936011096219713536_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=SxwtJAd0HekAX8OcRtL&_nc_ht=scontent-msp1-1.xx&oh=9a4bed4004873413d1df37837591b403&oe=5FB49A07

ring.jpg.e7e72682e1cb53c8cbd0b3aa69b447cd.jpg

• Like 10

@PaganMegan it is also possible to do "lost PLA" casting.  IE, print something you want made in metal in (relatively) cheap PLA and pack it in green sand with a spout to pour metal into and pour away.  Metal has to be pretty hot for this and it usually requires quite a bit of cleanup,  but you can cast anything that will fit into your mold box.

• Like 2

Grump has actually cast jewellry, but he did flats from greenstuff and RTV rubber.

Still a few classes away, I need to get the basics first.

• Like 2

Anyone that buys from my mini factory . com:

Do you incur a international service fee?

I have problems with a hacker on my bank card relating to Amazon transactions & I'm trying to tie them to those transactions as I think they might be foreign hackers.

Quite a bit of transactions out of my account due to this....sigh.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Anyone that buys from my mini factory . com:

Do you incur a international service fee?

I have problems with a hacker on my bank card relating to Amazon transactions & I'm trying to tie them to those transactions as I think they might be foreign hackers.

Quite a bit of transactions out of my account due to this....sigh.

No.  Never had anything like that with MMF.

Edit:  Never mind.  The credit card I use for hobby purposes waives international fees, so I don't think I would see them.  Sorry.

Edited by Clearman
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure they do, as it always says London on the transaction when I do them & the fee occurs either that day or a day after mmf shows up in my account. I do have a number of Kickstarters that are international as well & those fees occurred around the same time as the dollars are taken out. It appears it just Amazon tranactions, so whoever has (or had) my debit card number is just using it for there. Going all the way back into July it appears....:angry:.

I talked to my bank & I've got the card closed & process started on getting my cash returned.....Broccoli heads!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

All I see when I pay on MMF with Paypal, is the difference in Currency, I pay in Euros against Dollars which is positive for me.

Never seen a fee.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

I am now wishing we had gotten two CR-6 during the KS.

I print big things, Megan prints lots of smaller things, and the printer is runnining 20/7 on the average.

I get one day, mostly, then Megan gets two, mostly, but a few of my prints take more than a day.

The Auld Grump

10 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Ilithods are having problems printing....

Thin squidly tentacles.

Have you named one of them Squidward yet?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I print big things, Megan prints lots of smaller things, and the printer is runnining 20/7 on the average.

I get one day, mostly, then Megan gets two, mostly, but a few of my prints take more than a day.

The Auld Grump

Thin squidly tentacles.

Look at this way, you can always go in for a Ender 3 Max. I hear those are suppose to be really nice.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump

Thin squidly tentacles.

I had a bit of a feeling that I wanted two printers, basically one to tinker with and one for production or like you say one for big jobs and one for greebles.   But we both have just got printers and I feel that in the long term multiple printers would produce too much stuff to store, let alone paint.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

I had a bit of a feeling that I wanted two printers, basically one to tinker with and one for production or like you say one for big jobs and one for greebles.   But we both have just got printers and I feel that in the long term multiple printers would produce too much stuff to store, let alone paint.

I am viewing it like a tomato patch - giving things away is part of the fun.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

If the squirrels start breaking into my house and stealing prints off my bed just before they ripen finish, I'm not going to be amused.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

The trick with FDM printers is to schedule print jobs that run all night and till AFTER you plan to get up the next morning. 

Then you may be able to get 22Hour+/day print time out of it. 

(You lose a bit for cooldown after a print is finished, and again when it heats up in preparation for the next print)

Unless you have a tight schedule in the morning, of course. 

If the print bed is detachable and you have another, you can get better than 23Hours/day. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

The trick with FDM printers is to schedule print jobs that run all night and till AFTER you plan to get up the next morning. 

Then you may be able to get 22Hour+/day print time out of it. 

(You lose a bit for cooldown after a print is finished, and again when it heats up in preparation for the next print)

Unless you have a tight schedule in the morning, of course. 

If the print bed is detachable and you have another, you can get better than 23Hours/day. 

Detachable, and we have a spare. ::):

But the prints have an amazing skill at finishing when we are busy with something else. ::P:

Megan's prints also need a lot of care taken with supports.

Terrain is a lot more forgiving, in that regard.

So I can slap mine on, and walk away, Megan has to keep her eyes open lest the Flying Spaghetti Monster makes his will manifest.

Mind you, I have plans for a monstrously large golem, that are set aside until the building is finished, and I get another spool of black filament.

No idea what I will do with it, but plans, nonetheless!*

image.png.57402ce388c6f27792cf6c09b974bf10.png

The Auld Grump

* This is a lie - I do have plans... in Hell.

• Like 3