Sign in to follow this  
Anne

3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Some stores sell small, magnetic trays just for keeping track of screws.

I just wish I'd used one when I took my Photon apart... 

(I have 3 of the little trays, but where?)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

well, thats interesting.  i seem to have more screws than holes....

well we can give it a test run tomorrow.  for tonight its in one piece (and i only had to drill out the heat sink (yes the entire length) to find the point where it got stuck.  Not the best design in the world.  The prusa does a decent print and the self leveling is nice but it can be a serious annoyance when something goes wrong

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Horrible failure or spectacular recovery?

If the threading is easy to remove and the model is fine, I'd say a spectacular recovery!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

If the threading is easy to remove and the model is fine, I'd say a spectacular recovery!

If you look at the support (which I shouldn't have added, I guess) all the way to the right of the pic you can see the huge shift in the print.  

I seriously doubt this thing came loose so I'm not sure how this happened.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

If you look at the support (which I shouldn't have added, I guess) all the way to the right of the pic you can see the huge shift in the print.  

I have a resin printer, so I can't answer that, the FDM owners might be able to help out.

• Like 2

Yeah, there's a huge shift on your Y-axis.  This is usually a bad slice, but sometime the printer can just freak out while it's reading the gcode.

I've also instances where the nozzle with catch on the print and shift things.  That doesn't usually result in the multi inch shift like what you're looking at here, but it does screw things up.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anything setting or process-wise that you can do the keep it from happening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

I would hazard that it could be either a bad slice, something bumped the printer, or the wheels on the Y-axis caught on something. Double check the belts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lowlylowlycook said:

I've seen this before.  It's usually because a belt slipped. (slice file errors that would do this to an FDM printer and keep the things above it correct are vanishingly rare unless the printer tried to move Y to a coordinate out of range)  Try to keep your Y belt very tight (it's hard to over tighten these things when doing it by hand).

as an addition, I'd double check your esteps and retraction settings, it looks like you've got a bit of over extrusion happening (See the blobbiness on other parts of the model?)  most likely what happened was a small bit of the blobiness was raised just enough and in just the right place that the nozzle hung on it during a fast move, and the belt slipped, letting the motor turn without the plate moving, causing the printer to no longer correctly know where y=0 was.  A tight belt would cause it to plow through this and keep moving but if you can fix both problems that's even better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Check how far the print has skipped and compare it to the distance between the teeth on the belts...

If it's an even multiple, it jumped.

If it's not, the pulley slips on the motor shaft and you need to tighten up set screws. 

Make doubly certain that the screw is on the FLAT side of the shaft. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So been printing a few things today. First was a Benchie boat using the standard Cura profile and lowest quality. Turned out nearly perfect. Next was a rubber duck sized to about the same as the Benchie but upped the speed. It had a bunch of supports. Turned out nearly perfect as well with only a tiny bit of roughness where some of the supports were. Then I wanted to try a mini so picked gunslinger dwarf from MMF. I laughed hard when I saw him. I never checked the size of the mini in Cura and he ended up 10mm tall! Not terrible quality even so. Redid him at 25mm tall and he's still undersized but looks decent. Need to get some paint on him because white pla is hard to make out details on small minis.  I can live with minis of that quality. Will print out another some time to make him more in scale with all my other dwarves. Last is a small fishing rod for a kids game. Took me hours to relearn how to do simple things in a CAD program to make it but it seems good too. Overall very happy with how the CR-6 is working and need to figure out a few more things before going into mass production.

• Like 8