Sign in to follow this  
Anne

3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

@Zink on Cura, use the light support setting for mechs.

Thanks, I'm almost finished printing mechs but will try that on the next one. Most turned out pretty good but I had 3 arms and a couple legs messed up out of 9 mechs. Just reprinted the individual part and glued it on. Had to make a quick trip to the city today and started a Jagermech before I left. Thought the thin guns might be a problem. He printed perfectly and the kid popped off the supports with no effort or damage. I've gone from less than 20 mech minis (mostly paper standees) to over 60 between the 3D printed ones and the KS arriving. When the 2nd wave arrives I'll have well over 100.

Had my first total loss yesterday. I tried printing some small spaceships in a group using my 1.0 mm nozzle and terrain settings. The file I had placed them all in a horizontal plane when vertical would have been better and my settings were crap for them. The supports make more interesting minis than the ships themselves. Only the very tops sort of turned out and they're bad. Ah well, cost a dollar or so and a couple hours of print time.

• Like 3

I swear to Gogamagog, thee is some alternate dimension that small springs enter when they go sproing!

We lost the spring for the extruder, and it is in 'none' of the places that it should have been able to get to.

Also, one of the tiny blue clips to hold the Bowden tube in place snapped.

I have no idea where to buy replacements for either one,

The Auld Grump

• Sad 4

Are the clips just to hold the end up so the bowden tube can't slip? (hard to tell from pics I could find). If so you can use an appropriately sized zip tie. The ender 3 doesn't have clips but some folks zip tie the ends.

The spring is internal one the extruder?  All I see is a black box.....was curious if it was the same as the one on the ender 3 or not.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I just found the spring on 3DJake.com. Not sure about the clip yet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I have no idea where to buy replacements for either one

I've bought them from Amazon

Search for "Bowden Collet Clip"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I swear to Gogamagog, thee is some alternate dimension that small springs enter when they go sproing!

We lost the spring for the extruder, and it is in 'none' of the places that it should have been able to get to.

The Auld Grump

Is it the little blue clip on the tube above the extruder? I just looked at mine and the clips look very similar to ones I have for my reverse osmosis water filter. Don't want to take it off in case I break it but it might be worth checking anywhere near you that has parts for them. My google fu and amazon searching is failing me at the moment but it looks like the clips on these fittings.

image.png.eb3d35dbd974be06a5cbad1a1faed146.png

I have a bunch from changing a few parts on the ro system a couple years ago.

And ninja'd by a few seconds with a better answer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TripleH said:

I just found the spring on 3DJake.com. Not sure about the clip yet.

I looked - reasonable price, so I added it to my basket - shipping $35 on a spring that costs less than $2. :wacko:

Can you guess which store has been added to my 'Nope! NEVER!' list? Jehoshaphat!

11 hours ago, Clearman said:

I've bought them from Amazon

Search for "Bowden Collet Clip"

Them's the bunnies! It includes the collets, but I get free shipping - and it is a hell of a lot better than $37 for a spring.

11 hours ago, jadeite said:

There are STLs for Bowden Tube Clips on Thingiverse.

One of the things I love about the 3-D printing community! :lol:

Found what I hope are compatible springs on evilBay. Won't be here until the 24th. Megan couldn't find the spring anywhere on the floor, either - even with a magnet.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I looked - reasonable price, so I added it to my basket - shipping $35 on a spring that costs less than $2. :wacko:

Can you guess which store has been added to my 'Nope! NEVER!' list? Jehoshaphat!

Jeez, that's US company ships to Canada rates o_o

• Like 4

That shipping cost reminds me of allot of hobby sellers on big river site. "Oh cool they've got this "insert item"!  20 bucks to ship, uhhhh no thank you!!"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Jeez, that's US company ships to Canada rates o_o

It is something that can literally be shipped by taping it to a card, putting it in an envelope, and dropping it in a mailbox.

3DJake is now on my uh-uh list.

There is a Hong Kong company with a good price for 10, reasonable shipping, but a month and a half delivery. I have more respect for that one.

The Auld Grump

5 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

FYI, there are 2 days left before the late pledge manager closes for Skies of Sordane, if anyone was still considering massive skyships......

Just the ones that Megan can use for Eberron. ::):

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

I had a problem on my CR-6 where my filament sensor said it had run out even though it hadn't. Happened once in awhile, not a huge deal as I just had to hit continue. Did a quick search and found someone who said it was common when using white filament. Of course that's what I have right now. Yesterday I was doing a 7 hour print of a house and it was giving me that problem every hour or so. No big deal as I was home and actually painting in that room off and on all day. Should have finished by 11:00 pm. Midnight and I'm still running down stairs to check if it's working or not. 12:30 I reset it again and went to bed. Got up at 8 am and it had quit 3 minutes by the timer after I started it the last time. Supposedly less than 30 minutes to finish so I hit continue again and did more research on what is the problem. Had to hit the button a couple more times in to get it to finish. Better research told me that the sensor/chipboard itself isn't glued down and can wiggle causing it to read as empty. Watched a video about how to open it and glue down the sensor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L9DMpH9_Ko 2 screws, one popped lid and 2 dabs of hot glue. Reassemble and so far seems to be working. Just loaded a mini that should take 6 hours so that'll test it. Almost 1 roll of filament and this is the only issue I've had so far. Well other than some really bad settings I was playing around with. 

• Like 7

So... I know about hollowing a file, but does anyone know how to fill one? I have an issue with one of the files I got from Heroes Infinite this month, the Cyberpunk version of Black Rose. They gave her a coat and from what I can tell they layered it, at least in part, on top of the original. So now there's this awkward hollow space on her and upper arms. It's tiny, but the walls are so thin it wont printer properly, but even if it did that would mean there's a bubble of uncured resin waiting to pop. I've posted to their discord and messaged them on Patreon but have not received any sort of response, so I am looking to see if there is a way I can correct this myself.

unknown-2.thumb.png.229c076402ccba82cadaf71f4a84d271.png

unknown-1.thumb.png.ffb5c69672fc5a882af9c951ee84885e.png

• Like 2

I'm not sure it would be possible to fill that void in if you only have an STL.  You'd probably need the original ZBrush file.

If it is printing hollow, you could try placing a drain hole, and fill it after curing.

• Like 1