Sign in to follow this  
Anne

3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

I had briefly played with some larger figures in the software and had a couple of questions.

• Is it possible to partially hollow a figure? Like "Hollow selection" or something.
  • After hollowing is there an easy way to increase the amount of material in a particular area after hollowing? Rather than just making everything thicker.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 5:49 PM, Clearman said:

FB_IMG_1611015689684.jpg.8a4298cf9e4f6c22ca5b5ddc23d0f5cf.jpg

This was me when I first started printing, but now it's only when I see the progress line is really long. ::D:

Oh @Sirithiliel!!!

720X720-store-thumbnail-trexking.jpg

• Like 3

Anyone come across a double door set yet in stl format? I've yet to find a double door set, just single ones or ones you print out & place with Dragonlock/Openlock tile sets.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Yah, what I thought it would be, a tile set for Dragon-Open Lock systems. Mainly looking for free standing doors with a base on the bottom. I have Litko's but I'd like to print out a set for more visual impact. 

Hmmm, now that I typed that I might have a set already & totally forgot about it (Vae Victius's church ruins.........)

(No go, a open door with the second one gone in a archway, it'd look great in your Vampire Hunter scene....)

Church modular set has something but It's look odd every time I'd place it on the map.

720X720-01.jpg

I have this already:

TS273-store_1800x1800.jpg?v=1550686887

• Like 2

Whoops. I sometimes hate how CURA names the sliced files. This morning I printed 4 M10 Wolverines for my canadians. This afternoon I ordered up some bases, trucks and armoured cars. I go down to see how they're printing and there's 4 half finished M10s on the build plate. I picked the wrong thing off the card because both started with CR6SEBergman and I couldn't read the rest. Don't really need them for the canadians but will store them for when I get around to the americans. #2 kid wants to do a 17 hour print of something he designed so won't get to use the printer for awhile after the Wolverines finish.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

17 hours???? What is he printing?

After adding supports it's more like 19 hours. It's a 10cm x ~8 x 3 cm sign I guess you could call it of Waluigi's face and hat with some writing on it. It has 3D details on both sides. We test printed a smaller version with a bigger nozzle last week. This time he wanted to try it out with the 0.2mm nozzle and 0.12mm layer height. He's happy about it and it's noce to see him getting interesting in the printer even if it means it gets tied up once in awhile.

About my complaint with the CURA naming. Turns out there was a symbol in the file name that the printer couldn't read is why I printed the wrong file. Also turns out that when they finished they weren't the tank destroyers I thought. It was a handful of trucks which I need a bunch of so all good. You know it'd be terrible if I wasted 15 cents worth of pla. :rolleyes:

Just saw this on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owgUmQao2ME Custom support placement in CURA. Wish I had seen this a week ago because it could be very useful on the cannons I am printing. I'll be doing a lot more so hopefully it works. While not a huge problem it's a bit of work to remove the supports when I'm printing the base, cannon and crew as one piece. Have just set it up on 25 pounder and 17 pounder models to try later today. A couple shots of the minis I've already printed that it will be helpful with.

IMG_8885.JPG

IMG_8861.JPG

• Like 5

I haven't had much luck with printing larger batches of minis at once. After doing a bunch of tweaks my printer was printing so good I decided to do one last night. About a dozen tanks and seperate turrets. Woke up this morning to a pile of spaghetti and a big blob of pla hardened around the heat block. While trying to remove it I broke the wire to the thermistor. Learned the names for the various parts today so can sound extra tech geeky. After cleaning it up I tried to remove the thermistor and messed up the screw that holds it in. So I tried to solder the hair thin broken wire. Seem to be successful and it's printing more tanks ( small batch) right now. What a headache. I've found a couple stores in Canada with the thermistor and hopefully they have screws. I'm confident I can remove it but it won't be going back in. With my usual grace and agility I may ruin the heat block removing it so if I can find one of them I'll buy it too.

• Like 2

Some slicers have settings to allow it to print first one item in its entirety, then the next and so on. 

It only works for low, small objects, though. and you ned to define the size of your hot end in the slicer.

Then there's a chance that some of the prints works....

• Like 4

Well finally got my printer cleaned up after the printer failure on Monday (I cleaned it yesterday but didn't do any assembly till this morning). Currently printing the following:

resize-morivan-moonstone-marketing.jpg

Shadow Dancer encounter for next week's game. Crossing my fingers on this one. I gave it good supports, but you never know + after a print failure, I always worry about the next print in line. If it comes out, it beats using this prepaint:

s-l500.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Be very careful removing supports from that chain.

Yah it'll be bit of challenge with that one. Hopefully no snapping of the chain itself while doing so. It finished about 30 mins ago, I'm gonna let it sit in the chamber for a bit. I need pyche myself up for removing supports, ha ha.

Reason for the troll failure was due to anther LCD failing print on the plate & the FEP itself. I really need to get in there & change that LCD. It shows a working screen, as the tests are fully lit up, but that is something I really don't want to do right now + I still wanna replace the fans & I haven't got those yet either.

• Like 2