3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

4 minutes ago, haldir said:

Yah it'll be bit of challenge with that one. Hopefully no snapping of the chain itself while doing so. It finished about 30 mins ago, I'm gonna let it sit in the chamber for a bit. I need pyche myself up for removing supports, ha ha.

Reason for the troll failure was due to anther LCD failing print on the plate & the FEP itself. I really need to get in there & change that LCD. It shows a working screen, as the tests are fully lit up, but that is something I really don't want to do right now + I still wanna replace the fans & I haven't got those yet either.

But if it shows a lit square with a test, then the lcd should be ok, right?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

This may have been the reason I kickstarted New Worlds  

Posted Images

On 1/28/2021 at 1:59 PM, Glitterwolf said:

But if it shows a lit square with a test, then the lcd should be ok, right?

You got me there.

I just know I get that failed print on my plate & in my vat every once in awhile. I can print out human size minis one at a time & I'm ok, but if I do multiple or bigger prints (like the larger troll) I'll get the failing lcd print. It's confusing, as I'm getting prints, just not all the prints I want to print out. Thus, why I've debated on changing my lcd to the generics I got off aliexpress. Also, I'm not too confident about successfully changing it out.

Either way, I did get a successful print afterwards.

Also, anyone know how you print a object (.obj) file? I found a file on thingiverse that I'd like to print out but I have no idea what to do with a .obj file.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Auberon said:

The format is supported by Chitubox, but all I've ever done is view the files.  I've yet to try and print one.

Ok, cool thanks. Every time I've tried messing with a .obj file, I've only opened it with 3d Viewer. It opened in Chitubox (which they really need to get 1.8 into general release!!!) just now. Getting a Shoosuva (demonic gnoll "dog") prepped for a future game. If I hadn't got rid of the Chainmail mini many moons ago, I wouldn't have to worry. :rock:

• Like 1
6 hours ago, haldir said:

You got me there.

I just know I get that failed print on my plate & in my vat every once in awhile. I can print out human size minis one at a time & I'm ok, but if I do multiple or bigger prints (like the larger troll) I'll get the failing lcd print. It's confusing, as I'm getting prints, just not all the prints I want to print out. Thus, why I've debated on changing my lcd to the generics I got off aliexpress. Also, I'm not too confident about successfully changing it out.

Either way, I did get a successful print afterwards.

Also, anyone know how you print a object (.obj) file? I found a file on thingiverse that I'd like to print out but I have no idea what to do with a .obj file.

When you get an OBJ, file, use 3D builder.

Open the file and save as STL.

Return to Chitubox.

So, you're basically saying you have problems with the bigger models or a full build plate.

Maybe you already tried this but:

• Lifting speed / Retract speed? Maybe dial them down a little.
  • Use heavy supports for bigger models, especially on the parts that will get printed first and need to "carry" the mini.
  • Watch a few videos about it, maybe ask 3Dprintingpro or someone like that if all else fails.
  • Hmmm, the FEP film needs to be tight, but not too tight, if you overdo it, it might pop a model off if it's too heavy and the suction force gets too high?

One more thing, if it happens to free fiels from thingiverse..some are not tested like those from Patreons, could be a problem.

Did you try hollow a big model? Did that work?

These are my settings no problem at all.

image.png.018838cc74479881a3f06ec609f53c6b.png

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

So Saturday morning, killing time I decided to free the Shadowdancer from its supports..wow that was allot. I almost got through em before a support in the middle of chain was thicker then the others (most likely the main support for the entire chain), clipped & knew I got the chain itself.

I ended up tossing the entire mini & reprinting. Being a game mini & a thin spot, gluing it back on wasn't a option for me. I can say the 2nd print came out just as good as the second one. Its been sitting in the printer, I'll clean it up when I get home in a couple of hours.

I may try the warm water method as there are allot of supports for this mini, basically being a spiral mini & they are presupports. We shall see.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Or you could replace it with real chain....

My last effort using chain was an ok effort but the way the weapon is twirled around the figure with a blade on the end, yah I'd rather just use what has been sculpted + the chain itself has little barbs on it.

2nd effort in attempting to remove supports was a success as well. Figure is tad bit tall compared to other minis, but at this point, I'm ok with that.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, haldir said:

My last effort using chain was an ok effort but the way the weapon is twirled around the figure with a blade on the end, yah I'd rather just use what has been sculpted + the chain itself has little barbs on it.

If I wanted to replace a chain that's twirled like that I would probably superglue it to keep the shape. 

Barbs on the chain makes that a little bit moot, though... 

• Like 1

Anyone with an Elegoo Mars, I am wondering how much the layer lines show up once primed and painted?  Are they noticeable?  Or are they covered with the paint and primer pretty well?  Can you sand them down with super fine grit sand paper?

Edited by NecroMancer
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Clearman said:

Not sure who all follows Christine Van Patten's work ( @Rainbow Sculptor ), but she shared on FaceBook yesterday that she now has a MMF store under Moonlightminis.

There are currently 3 STLs for sale.

beat me to it, I was coming here to post this as well, lol.

I might have bought all three, lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Anyone with an Elegoo Mars, I am wondering how much the layer lines show up once primed and painted?  Are they noticeable?  Or are they covered with the paint and primer pretty well?  Can you sand them down with super fine grit sand paper?

I have very little layer lines, and usually those are covered by primer and paint without much fuss.

On larger pieces you might see more, you could try sanding, but I haven't bothered.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

I've just started printing with mine, and even at the default rez of 0.05mm the layer lines are pretty much indistinguishable under a layer of paint.

I did this comparison between a Witcher 3 Hag printed on both my Ender 3 (the coloured one, printed at 0.08mm) and the Mars (the monochrome one, printed at 0.03mm):

2021-01-27-WitcherCrone03mm.jpg

Both are perfectly acceptable for tabletop use, but the output from the Mars is, unsurprisingly, smoother. Also, it printed faster.

In retrospect, it would have been better for comparison purposes to have just sprayed the Mars figure with a single base colour, as the zenithal shading has left the surface looking a lot more granular than it actually is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1