3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

I Just realized MMF has a download history, which will be very helpful once I start printing these mini's out so I know who to credit (and hit up if I want to sell, so I can get permission), most of my files I have no idea where they came from haha. Need to see if thingverse has such a history:)

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

So, I was on the line with an EPAX rep the other day trying to determine if the X1-k would meet the print quality needs we are looking for to produce master copies (close but probably not quite).  Any

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

I Just realized MMF has a download history, which will be very helpful once I start printing these mini's out so I know who to credit (and hit up if I want to sell, so I can get permission), most of my files I have no idea where they came from haha. Need to see if thingverse has such a history:)

Not that I  know of unless you collect the Thing or if you download 'all files' there's  usually an attribution text document in the zip file.

• Like 1

I've been plugging away with my WW2 microarmour. Some of the stls I need to tweak to get them to work at 6mm or 1/285 scale. Had a problem with when trying to print rescaled 1/100 minis. Even when I adjusted them to compensate for thing gun barrels and small details they weren't turning out. A lot of them looked like swiss cheese and could be crushed easily with my fingers. I was trying all kinds of settings in Blender and nothing was turning out. Read a bunch of advice none of which was suitable. Randomly discovered what seems to be my magic numbers. I've gotten respectable prints of several different armoured cars for my canadians. 

I import and 1/100 scale model into blender, go to edit mode, hit alt S and 0.3. This bulks it up a bit. Then I hit M and 0.03. This simplifies the model without affecting it's overall shape and detail. Do a quick check to make sure everything is manifold and export. Works great for the basic bodies and turrets. Mat still need to do a bit of extra resizing for thin gun barrels after this. If the models have turrets that plug into holes in the hull I'm deselecting the plug and hole before doing the fattening (alt S) so that they still match. So happy I figured this out. Marco Bergman's 1/200 files are excellent but don't cover everything. With his and Panzer Ace's 1/100 files it covered 90+% of what I wanted for vehicles and artillery.

So far I've modified a lot of files for infantry, guns and a few vehicles but only had to make one completely from scratch. I've only got a few stls to make/modify to finish off all the canadian army equipment and what's in the 12 SS list I'm using. Still a fair bit to print to get all the options for the Hitlerjugend but only a handful left for the canadians. Started working on terrain the last few days. Most of it will be done the old fashioned way out of styrofoam, cardstock and other stuff with a few pieces 3D printed. Even managed to play a few games and think we're starting to understand the majority of the rules.

A few sample pics. The loyd carrier I made with a modified cover from a Bergman truck.

546089405_loydcarrierclosed.jpg.5ab1dd518b8f11ddf7a777a7fbd004b9.jpg

German heavy artillery 21cm Mrs18 when it was fresh off the printer.

IMG_8946.thumb.JPG.fb6b599814f340a49d694a06ee60ea43.JPG

And to show off the tiny scale, kettenkrads and schwimwagens. The bases are 25 x 20 mm.

IMG_8937.thumb.JPG.c6c6351a443e3e699a0e9ba52ddda669.JPG

• Like 4

Figures....looking for some figures for next week's game & lo & behold I find one of my prepainted Orc "Hand of Luthic" minis AFTER the printed one is done curing.... Hmmmmm which one to use now....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

So, apparently the box I bought of gloves from harbor freight are vinyl and not nitrile (I have had the box a while, was actually for my airbrushing sessions), can I still use them for my resin printer work?

Resin will eat vinyl. You want the industrial nitrile gloves. Of course right now they are spendy. Look at spending over 15 bucks for them.

• Like 1

I've been messing about in Blender, making a bunch of variants of 15mm (1:100 scale) WWII German Opel Maultier half-tracks.

2021-02-12_OpelMaultier.jpg

The two on the right are ambulances, one closed up and the other with the back doors open and the steps down. Third from the right is an office/radio body. The others are fairly self-explanatory I think.

They're based on Bergman's Maultier model. I've just refined it a bit and added some stuff that I already had lying around in my design folders.

And here's another one, reusing some seated German infantry I originally put together as passengers for a SdKfz 7.

2021-02-12_OpelMaultierPassengers.jpg

I had to put them through 3d Builder's Simplify operation to get the STL down to a reasonable size, but it imposed no real visible penalty, while dropping the file size from 95MB to about 11.

I did a test print of the ambulance variant with the open back doors and steps down. Taking into account my inexperience with resin printing in general, it printed okay, so I don't foresee any issues with any of the others either.

2021-02-12-OpelMaultier_TestPrint.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, NecroMancer said:

Well my third try at getting a third 3D just showed up and...

Hide contents

It is looking a lot more promising already!  A factory sealed box! :bday:

20210212_110035.thumb.jpg.5a592fc3d56a9ff224698fe10df251e2.jpg

My cat is always impatient for me to empty new boxes

Hide contents

That looks in good shape, you should be good to go I think

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

That looks in good shape, you should be good to go I think

Well we're off and printing.  It was so nice opening a brand new printer without resin everywhere.

I decided to forgo the rooks and just started with a pre-supported model.  Who knows if it will work but if it does then I have a mini and not two rooks.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Well we're off and printing.  It was so nice opening a brand new printer without resin everywhere.

I decided to forgo the rooks and just started with a pre-supported model.  Who knows if it will work but if it does then I have a mini and not two rooks.

I am so thinking to take my printers to my mom's and temp set up in her garage till my garage is better organized. I really want to print a few things so I can enter contests (clay cyanide and white werewolf, especially WWT because I want a phozen for free haha).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

When I got my Mars, I didn't print the rook either.

First print was a dog with a gasmask which I got from thingiverse.

Placed the supports myself and it printed perfectly.

Have fun!

Do check for islands with presupported files, not all are perfect!

You might need to add a few more yourself.

Watch videos on the subject on youtube, I can't recommend it enough.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Well my third try at getting a third 3D just showed up and...

Hide contents

It is looking a lot more promising already!  A factory sealed box! :bday:

20210212_110035.thumb.jpg.5a592fc3d56a9ff224698fe10df251e2.jpg

My cat is always impatient for me to empty new boxes

Hide contents

To boldly go where no cat has gone before!