3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

So, I was on the line with an EPAX rep the other day trying to determine if the X1-k would meet the print quality needs we are looking for to produce master copies (close but probably not quite).  Any

Posted Images

On 2/3/2021 at 10:46 AM, Clearman said:

Not sure who all follows Christine Van Patten's work ( @Rainbow Sculptor ), but she shared on FaceBook yesterday that she now has a MMF store under Moonlightminis.

There are currently 3 STLs for sale.

Hey, thanks for the shout out! I've got a couple more up there now if you feel like checking them out. :)

Edited by Rainbow Sculptor
  • Like 4

I started a new print that covers a good bit of area and noticed a bit of flex on the bottom layers even with the nFEP.  That said my prints this morning were near perfect so it's not a quality issue yet.  Maybe given some time and a bit of wear and tear it could cause some problems. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

Just spotted Betty and Wilma from the Flintstones, as never seen before... over on cults3d... 

Saw that.

I think they could do better than Fred and Barney looking like that.

On 2/8/2021 at 6:29 PM, haldir said:

Ok this is a future purchase!!

resize-11.jpg

The entire piece is a long branch that he is resting on. It's title "Tired Ratatoskr" & it's made by Surt Studios.

Didn't you pose for the sculpt at few ReaperCons ago, at like 3:00 in the morning?

20 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Found a worrying review of the Sonic Mini 4K on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/RTUhHnlZ6-8

Yep, ordering nFEP today!

Not sure what issue he is reporting, as I don't have time to watch the video.  Honestly, I haven't had any issues with the Mini 4K since I switched to the nFEP and stopped overloading the plate.  I'm closing in on my second liter of resin on it now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

OK, I was able to listen to his review better now.  I don't get the loud pop.  Nor do I see much flex, but then I am using an nFEP.  I do agree that there are flaws with this printer and it is considerably more cheaply made than say an EPAX machine (which are usually a few hundred more).  I got it for the quality of the print and nothing else.  I hope it lasts.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Didn't you pose for the sculpt at few ReaperCons ago, at like 3:00 in the morning?

If it was the firepit, I think only Micheal Kirk & the Oklahoma/PFS gang have that evidence! :blues:

Still, at least me & @Chaoswolf gave those wedding guest at the HGI a great view upon them returning to the hotel that night. (squirrel onesie dancing with the WOLF!!!)

• Haha 3

@PaganMegan

So I was just prepping a print, and was thinking about that review.  I looked at some things that he noted.  I agree on the tape issue (though having well taped screen is good, their tape is too thick).  The height of the screen isn't an issue since the screen is larger than the build plate, so who cares, it really doesn't affect anything.  I might try resealing mine sometime with thinner tape, but maybe not as the prints are perfect as they are.

The build plate flex issue:

I think he is completely wrong about this.  Yes it does flex as he describes, but I think it is by design.  Let me explain: because of the flex, it is able to pull more at the back of the plate first than the front.  That allows the plate to peel the print off of the FEP instead of having to pull it all off all at once. The flex then means that it needs less force to pull it free and should therefore be putting less strain on the motor and rail.  So right diagnosis; wrong conclusion, IMHO.  The loud pop is likely due to the bad FEP that comes with this machine.  I get no pop at all with the nFEP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My first Resin printer(KUDO3D Bean) takes that to the extreme...   

The vat isn't bolted down like on the Photon, or even the Mini 4K. 

Instead, it has two tabs at the back that are held down by finger screws. And these tabs, together with small metal brackets allows the vat to be slowly lifted up to about 20 degrees angle in order to make for a smoother release. No 'pop' sound, but instead theres the 'dunk' when the vat drops down again...    

Unfortunately, the vat is made of plastic, and will deform over time. They have a 'power vat' made of aluminium, but that's an extra, costing $129...   

I'm hoping to get a Photon vat to work as a replacement...   

They're releasing a new 'Bean plus', with a new vat, but still plastic...   

One thing they did get right is the build plate which is mounted somewhat similarly to the Mini 4K, but it's spring loaded...   

Makes it super easy to level.   

On the Plus, they're going with a 'ball joint' mess similarly to what the Photon is using. 

But given that they're pricing themselves out of the consumer market, I doubt many will be buying them. 

• Like 2