3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Okay, not sure if this changed with chitubox 1.8 or was always like this, but can someone who has the Elegoo Mars 2 pro verify if these look like the correct settings for it? And do they work? any suggestions for changes is appreciated (it's the light off delay and botom light off delay I'm concerned about. I have always seen both of those at 0s)

816302463_mars2prosettings.jpg.b2fa73191905c3d80c393780854bf188.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

So, I was on the line with an EPAX rep the other day trying to determine if the X1-k would meet the print quality needs we are looking for to produce master copies (close but probably not quite).  Any

Posted Images

On 2/15/2021 at 2:16 PM, TaleSpinner said:

@PaganMegan

So I was just prepping a print, and was thinking about that review.  I looked at some things that he noted.  I agree on the tape issue (though having well taped screen is good, their tape is too thick).  The height of the screen isn't an issue since the screen is larger than the build plate, so who cares, it really doesn't affect anything.  I might try resealing mine sometime with thinner tape, but maybe not as the prints are perfect as they are.

The build plate flex issue:

I think he is completely wrong about this.  Yes it does flex as he describes, but I think it is by design.  Let me explain: because of the flex, it is able to pull more at the back of the plate first than the front.  That allows the plate to peel the print off of the FEP instead of having to pull it all off all at once. The flex then means that it needs less force to pull it free and should therefore be putting less strain on the motor and rail.  So right diagnosis; wrong conclusion, IMHO.  The loud pop is likely due to the bad FEP that comes with this machine.  I get no pop at all with the nFEP.

Thank you!

I cannot wait for ours to get here. ::):

We have SOOO many minis I want to print!

NFEP ordered, bottle of water washable resin too.

Picking first prints is harder than I expected.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Okay, not sure if this changed with chitubox 1.8 or was always like this, but can someone who has the Elegoo Mars 2 pro verify if these look like the correct settings for it? And do they work? any suggestions for changes is appreciated (it's the light off delay and botom light off delay I'm concerned about. I have always seen both of those at 0s)

816302463_mars2prosettings.jpg.b2fa73191905c3d80c393780854bf188.jpg

While I can't speak to the other settings, assigning 0s to the light-off delay simply means you don't have any delay.  If you want to have a light-off delay, i.e. allow the printer to "rest" between layers, it will be determined by the length of your lift and retract cycle.

• Like 1
On 2/15/2021 at 4:24 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Saw that.

I think they could do better than Fred and Barney looking like that.

Teenage or twenties Wilma and Betty - Fred and Barney probably looked better then, too.

I seem to recall that Fred played football?

The Auld Grump

• Haha 1

So I may have to change out my female dwarf ghost mini, ha ha. While looking for a picture to represent her to show the players, I came across this lovely lady:

f8Ee2II.jpg

No worries, as I've got great axe dwarf options!!

• Like 1
On 2/15/2021 at 12:13 AM, Gadgetman! said:

Just spotted Betty and Wilma from the Flintstones, as never seen before... over on cults3d... 

are you talking about WILMA N BETTY ROCK - BY SPARX? I may need this haha. And going over to their site, found out about exclusive:) May need some of those princesses as well.

• Haha 1
On 2/15/2021 at 1:16 PM, TaleSpinner said:

The loud pop is likely due to the bad FEP that comes with this machine.  I get no pop at all with the nFEP.

Ironically, I was told in the photon groups early on when I first started that you wanted a loud pop because it meant things were pulling free, lol

15 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Okay, not sure if this changed with chitubox 1.8 or was always like this, but can someone who has the Elegoo Mars 2 pro verify if these look like the correct settings for it? And do they work? any suggestions for changes is appreciated (it's the light off delay and bottom light off delay I'm concerned about. I have always seen both of those at 0s)

Light off delay is if you have a problem with your LED array getting too hot, it allows you to give it a longer off time to cool down. I know a lot of people don't need/use it.  Keep in  mind that the light is already off during build plate moves anyway. How long that cycle actually is depends on your lift distance and speed.  In your case, a lift speed of 80 mm/s and a lift distance of 5mm means it takes 3.75 mm to reach full lift, and the same to lower again, so you have an effective light-off delay of 7.5 seconds even if you have zeroes in that field.  Anything less than 7.5 in your light off delay won't actually amount to anything.  Anything more will extend print times.  For base layers I'd probably use it as you have such long exposures for base layers, but for your normal layers it looks like you already have 3 times the off time than you have on time with those settings. if your light cooling fan can't keep up with that...

• Like 2

huh.  mildy disappointed that they locked as a stretch goal in Print Your Monsters campaign, but I think they're really trying to push the success of their own crowfunding platform over KS.....

anyway... anyone heard anything else about this and is anyone else think the complete and utter lack of details about it makes it sound kind of sketchy?

image.png.acbdd2d5302295e3d88aa4fe9dd8fdd4.png

• Like 2

Humble Bundle has a Fallout terrain STL bundle right now.

Effing SWEET!

Grump had a D20 Fallout campaign set in Florida that was a LOT of fun.

$18, and looks worth every penny.

0h, and PDFs of the rules but I wants the models, I do. I want a vertibird!

1 hour ago, Cygnwulf said:

huh.  mildy disappointed that they locked as a stretch goal in Print Your Monsters campaign, but I think they're really trying to push the success of their own crowfunding platform over KS.....

anyway... anyone heard anything else about this and is anyone else think the complete and utter lack of details about it makes it sound kind of sketchy?

image.png.acbdd2d5302295e3d88aa4fe9dd8fdd4.png

Sketchy in the sense of the deal isn't finished yet, maybe.

May need to join the KS. We will NEED resin soon.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Sketchy in the sense of the deal isn't finished yet, maybe.

Maybe.  I think my biggest question is, they're saying "And get some of our resin" but they don't tell you anything at all about it, not even vague 'high detailed, for all printers, especially for 4k printers, smells like roses" nothing.  Just "here's some resin with our name on it.  Its better because... oh look, new logo!"

Admittedly, it's a locked stretch goal, so maybe when they hit that point they'll give more information.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Maybe.  I think my biggest question is, they're saying "And get some of our resin" but they don't tell you anything at all about it, not even vague 'high detailed, for all printers, especially for 4k printers, smells like roses" nothing.  Just "here's some resin with our name on it.  Its better because... oh look, new logo!"

Admittedly, it's a locked stretch goal, so maybe when they hit that point they'll give more information.

It is unlikely that they are manufacturing it themselves - so they may be in negotiations with one or more companies that already produce resin.

So, they may not yet have the specifications, since it could be any of several choices.

The happier, less likely, possibility is that they are going to have range of available resins.

But I am leaning toward a repackaging of an existing resin, in the same way as Amazon's filaments are actually repackaged.

The Auld Grump

6 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Humble Bundle has a Fallout terrain STL bundle right now.

Effing SWEET!

Grump had a D20 Fallout campaign set in Florida that was a LOT of fun.

$18, and looks worth every penny.

0h, and PDFs of the rules but I wants the models, I do. I want a vertibird!

Yeah, that is pretty nice.

I wish I still had the vertibird I cobbled together from a Toys R Us Air Hogs RC model..

May need to join the KS. We will NEED resin soon.

The Rocks & Plants KS just does not excite me. ::(:

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Looks like just another i3 clone to me.   

They're using a Bowden extruder to minimize the weight of the print head, which does help in clearing a few errors caused by the flimsy frame, but... 

That also makes it unable to print with any of the flexible materials out there.    

Strangely enough, it's NOT listed on Elegoo's homepage.   

• Like 1