3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

On 2/16/2021 at 5:49 PM, PaganMegan said:

Thank you!

I cannot wait for ours to get here. ::):

We have SOOO many minis I want to print!

NFEP ordered, bottle of water washable resin too.

Picking first prints is harder than I expected.

It's on it's way!

Wooot!

And somewhere along the way it became "my" printer, on the note he left.

First print is gonna be what they have as a test print, afte that, maybe illithids.

• Like 2
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

So, I was on the line with an EPAX rep the other day trying to determine if the X1-k would meet the print quality needs we are looking for to produce master copies (close but probably not quite).  Any

Posted Images

8 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Megan's printer has shipped. ::):

Also, Elegoo has released a $160 FDM printer....

The Auld Grump

Unfortunately no one has the printer in stock:( Waiting for elegoo to even list it on aliexpress and their own website.

8 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Looks like just another i3 clone to me.   

They're using a Bowden extruder to minimize the weight of the print head, which does help in clearing a few errors caused by the flimsy frame, but... 

That also makes it unable to print with any of the flexible materials out there.    

Strangely enough, it's NOT listed on Elegoo's homepage.   

I e-mailed them about the printer and they said they are waiting till after the holiday to update the site. actually their exact reply was:

Hi,

Thanks for your contact and interest in Elegoo product.

After our holidays, we will arrange it soon.

Should you have any problems or questions, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Unfortunately no one has the printer in stock:( Waiting for elegoo to even list it on aliexpress and their own website.

I e-mailed them about the printer and they said they are waiting till after the holiday to update the site. actually their exact reply was:

Hi,

Thanks for your contact and interest in Elegoo product.

After our holidays, we will arrange it soon.

Should you have any problems or questions, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

We just got done with the holidays.  St valentine's Day, Presidents Day, Fat Tuesday and Ash Wednesday!  Four days in a row.  Time to contact them.

• Haha 2
40 minutes ago, ttuckerman said:

We just got done with the holidays.  St valentine's Day, Presidents Day, Fat Tuesday and Ash Wednesday!  Four days in a row.  Time to contact them.

hehe those are US holidays, they are on Chinese new year from the 14th till (I Think the 23rd??). This is why reaper was trying to get that one container on the water so quickly:) I remember when we used to not get any shipments late april/early may at the japanese company I worked at:( That's there series of holidays off:)

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

hehe those are US holidays, they are on Chinese new year from the 14th till (I Think the 23rd??). This is why reaper was trying to get that one container on the water so quickly:) I remember when we used to not get any shipments late april/early may at the japanese company I worked at:( That's there series of holidays off:)

This is similar to Italy in August. When I a member of a nascar model board, the companies that made professional decals from Cartograph needed to get their orders done before August, as the entire country takes the month off & nothing would be produced that month.

• Like 1

Well crap, after 3 failures on the same piece, I'm thinking the piece is screwed up. Tried printing off the 2 handed axe from the dwarven defender files from Artisan Guild. First 2 prints were of the pre-supported file & then the 3rd one was one that I tried to support. The Pre files only came out basically the hand near the knob & then the print just flashes out like a previous goat demon mini I printed. I get supports but the rest of the axe is (using medium supports on a bulky weapon) not there.

My supported print is stuck on the bottom of the FEP, as there was nothing on the plate. (Print was at 96%, so I peaked at using my phone light) Hmmmm, I may just look for a different picture to show my players & keep the lady dwarf I already have. 

I'll try to find a new 2h axe from AG tomorrow sometime, but for now, I'm using one of the other prints.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, haldir said:

This is similar to Italy in August. When I a member of a nascar model board, the companies that made professional decals from Cartograph needed to get their orders done before August, as the entire country takes the month off & nothing would be produced that month.

A whole month? Nice! Man, it was like pulling teeth just to get the day off after Thanksgiving when I was with Time Warner/Spectrum:(

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

A whole month? Nice! Man, it was like pulling teeth just to get the day off after Thanksgiving when I was with Time Warner/Spectrum:(

Yah something to do with the way European's treat vacation (not the movie....::P:) time, maybe one of our European friends can chime in.

Well, before I fell asleep I did come across a nice piece from "Hold my dwarf" KS guys on mmf. I'll purchase that when I get home & print it up today. Still curious why neither file printed correctly thou. :wacko:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, haldir said:

Yah something to do with the way European's treat vacation (not the movie....::P:) time, maybe one of our European friends can chime in.

Well, before I fell asleep I did come across a nice piece from "Hold my dwarf" KS guys on mmf. I'll purchase that when I get home & print it up today. Still curious why neither file printed correctly thou. :wacko:

Most of us Europeans take 3 to 4 weeks off during Spring or Summer.

It is mandatory for me to take at least 2 weeks in a row during a year.

3 weeks is normal.

4 weeks or more I need to consent with the Commander.

We get paid vacation days each year depending on age/how long you work somewhere etc.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well poo, I needed to clean up my fep on the account of the weapon fail. Upon taking the plate off there was a flat skim of resin in a "C" shape. I stuck that in the Wash n Cure, while I took out the vat. I wiped the glass down with some 91% IPA (yeah, found a large bottle of the fabled stuff awhile back). After that I went to strain the resin. Sure enough the bottom had stuck resin on it (in the failed LCD patterns that normally appear on the plate. I took the plastic scraper that came with the printer this time & removed that. I was going to just pour the resin back in after giving a good shake, but I noticed a ding (not a hole) in the FEP. Seeing that could possibly be a weak point in the FEP, I decided to just change it out. It was about this time the WnC had stopped so I went & took the plate out, scraped off the resin & wiped it clean.

It was at this time I decided to test out my LCD, as I normally do whenever I take out the vat. Sure enough, I've get the failing LCD screen now (lines across it on all 3 test patterns). No  way it'll recover this time around. I'm just glad I got 3 or 4 of those guard drake minis done before this as those are really all I need for a couple of Saturdays from now game. I'm caught up in the current trilogy we are on. It's the next one that I may have problems (at least 1 BIG problem, having to still need to print out the female fomorian endboss encounter for the 2nd adventure...sigh). I really didn't want to do a change out (at least not right now, I was planning to do when I was on vacation, first weekend/2nd week of March), but eh if I want to continue to print, I need to change.

I did look at my LCD replacement & I did get the right one for my printer, the L shape end, I'm just not sure I got the one with the glass or not as I wasn't sure on which to get. Hopefully I'm ok. I need to look at my aliexpress history & see, all I need to do is remove the previous lcd, break the glass & not have a replacement on the new screen.

EDIT: Looking at my orders the first one I ordered has the glass, the 2nd one I ordered doesn't. Well I guess that is hope. Now to  track down the correct double sided tape for the glass to sit on....

• Like 2

Hmmm, interesting, I turned on the printer this morning & did a light test & it came out solid (again). I still need to re-assemble my vat but I'm thinkin about doing a test print sometime today, after D&D of course. Hopefully there is still some life in that LCD afterall.

Eventually I DO need to change that lcd, but hopefully on my planned time as I was hoping.

• Like 2

Aaaarrrgghhhh!

Frost has me interested in buildings.

Buildings have me wanting to build stuff for Bard's Gate! I know EXACTLY what I would use that bridge covered with buildings for.

It is a vicious cycle! Once I have buildings I will find more uses for them, which means wanting more buildings.

So now I have to learn how to use Townbuilder. <_<

So much for the buildings being a Grump only thing. :down:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Aaaarrrgghhhh!

Frost has me interested in buildings.

Buildings have me wanting to build stuff for Bard's Gate! I know EXACTLY what I would use that bridge covered with buildings for.

It is a vicious cycle! Once I have buildings I will find more uses for them, which means wanting more buildings.

So now I have to learn how to use Townbuilder. <_<

So much for the buildings being a Grump only thing. :down:

I call it the snowball effect. The never ending cycle of increasing wants the deeper you get into a project. It's the main reason I've avoided doing some things that I've wanted to for years. I'm not a guy that can stop at the minimum necessary when it comes to my minis. My ten man warbands run to 30 minis to get all the options and larger armies are worse. I need one or two, well if I have two 3 isn't a big deal, I've got ten so why not another few to hit the max.... 

• Like 3
On 2/18/2021 at 11:02 AM, PaganMegan said:

It's on it's way!

Wooot!

And somewhere along the way it became "my" printer, on the note he left.

First print is gonna be what they have as a test print, afte that, maybe illithids.

Today!

Maybe tomorrow, but probably TODAY!

• Like 2