3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

@NecroMancer

Could be supports on the head that failed.

Question, are those wings printed attached to the mini or did you glue them on afterwards?

Reason I ask, if they were attached than you did have enough resin in the VAT since they are above the failed head.

If you glued them on afterwards, the head might be the last part printed, in that case you might have drained the VAT and you might have had to fill it a bit more with resin while printing.

Other option, someone bumped into the printer / shook it while printing?

Do check the file.

I have had a similar fail once, decided to print the mini in parts instead of whole then, and that worked.

It might be a fail in the file.

EDIT: One more thing. If the wings weren't printed at the same time.

Then head and scythe are the last things to print.

Isn't it too high for the printer?

When slicing a file look at the "box" Chitubox shows, if it's inside that box it can print if it's outside or turns red it is too big for your machine. ( providing you dialed in your machine)

Since the rest printed well I don't suspect a problem with exposure or LCD.

This was my failure then

image.png.02abf4ba6f0390cf827fecb08e39812d.png

Full report here

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/91183-glitterwolfs-3d-printing-adventures/page/19/

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

This may have been the reason I kickstarted New Worlds  

Posted Images

The whole thing printed as one, I didn't glue the wings on.  And we vat still has resin left.

There were some supports that printed very strangely but most of it was fantastic. 

Guess I will check the file and go from there. 

Edited by NecroMancer
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

The whole thing printed as one, I didn't glue the wings on.  And we vat still has resin left.

There were some supports that printed very strangely but most of it was fantastic. 

Guess I will check the file and go from there. 

Is there also a file with the separated parts?

Else I would go from there and see if it works.

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Is there also a file with the separated parts?

Else I would go from there and see if it works.

I'll have to check.  I dont think so.  But this was the pre-supported file so I could check the unsupported files

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NecroMancer said:

I'll have to check.  I dont think so.  But this was the pre-supported file so I could check the unsupported files

To be honest, I almost never use presupports anymore.

I don't trust them after having a few fails.

I either use them as a basis and then add/edit supports or i don't use them at all and just place supports myself.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

Yeah. It is a support issue.  I almost never use pre-supports. The support requirements vary from printer to printer.  What prints great on my SM4K wouldn't even get off the bed of the Photon S.  The SM4K needs far less and smaller supports than the Photon did.   As a result pre-supported files will likely fail on occasion as they cannot be tailored to your machine.  Best to experiment and learn what support strategy works best on your printer and then support them yourself.  I'm constantly testing new support strategies and concepts for supporting different figures.  

Once you have supported 50+ figs or so, you get pretty good at it and fast too.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I usually decide upon the size/weight of the mini what I need most ( heavy, medium or light supports)

Then I start with autosupport to save some time.

Then I remove the wrong supports and replace them with others ( replace a heavy for a light one where possible for example)

Edit and add more supports.

I'm in the "better more supports than a failure" camp.

So far it works for me.

• Like 1

I'm going to need to upgrade my computer I use for slicing at some point, I hate doing manual supports because by the time I get any amount of objects on the build plate it's "Move camera, wait a few seconds for the cursor to come back. Click to place the support. Curse because you moved the mouse after clicking and so it registered it at a different spot on the model so now you have to ctrl+z. repeat. 

if I try to put more than one or two parts on the build plate (And I mean parts, so if the model is a torso, a head and two arms that's going to be a problem) I'm taking about 15-20 seconds per support point by the time I get to the end.  It's an extra special problem for a couple of patreons and kickstarters I've backed who didn't decimate the model before finalizing it and i'm seeing human sized figures that are pushing close to and over 100m in size.

This is mainly in chitubox or photon slicer. Lychee is even worse.   I've taken to doing supports in prusa slicer, because it only shows the point the support attaches and not a model for the support, so I get less processor strain and can move them around/place them a lot quicker, then I export it with the supports back to chitubox to slice....

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

I'm going to need to upgrade my computer I use for slicing at some point, I hate doing manual supports because by the time I get any amount of objects on the build plate it's "Move camera, wait a few seconds for the cursor to come back. Click to place the support. Curse because you moved the mouse after clicking and so it registered it at a different spot on the model so now you have to ctrl+z. repeat. 

if I try to put more than one or two parts on the build plate (And I mean parts, so if the model is a torso, a head and two arms that's going to be a problem) I'm taking about 15-20 seconds per support point by the time I get to the end.  It's an extra special problem for a couple of patreons and kickstarters I've backed who didn't decimate the model before finalizing it and i'm seeing human sized figures that are pushing close to and over 100m in size.

This is mainly in chitubox or photon slicer. Lychee is even worse.   I've taken to doing supports in prusa slicer, because it only shows the point the support attaches and not a model for the support, so I get less processor strain and can move them around/place them a lot quicker, then I export it with the supports back to chitubox to slice....

Yeah, hidden cost of 3d printing is a good enough PC to handle 3D files.  I didn't really think of this, since I already need such a PC to make said files.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yeah, hidden cost of 3d printing is a good enough PC to handle 3D files.  I didn't really think of this, since I already need such a PC to make said files.

Another is storage, we have over a T of models already downloaded. :blink:

We started collecting MONTHS before our first printer arrived.

And we've only gotten worse since then. Every time we go to whittle down our Patreon list, it seems like we add another, instead. <_<

And it doesn't matter which of us makes the attempt.

• Like 4
On 2/25/2021 at 3:11 PM, haldir said:

SNIP

Printing now is one of the fomorian witch heads. So if this comes out, that means only 3 files to go!! Currently the torso & lower half together on a gargantuan base looks great. She'll be my biggest resin mini to date.

Arm came out great. All that is left is her last arm (L or R, hell I'm just printing them in the order they are coming up on the lcd). ^_^

Her heads didn't really fit into the holes, so I had to do some sanding & scraping, but overall she looking good. I did do some filler as I had some holes in the body peices where it must have pull off when I was removing supports. Again, her body is hollow. No worries, nothing Vallejo plastic putty can't fix + it even gives her clothes a bit more ramshackle look. While filling in those I noticed a few small stubs from support removals, so I cleaned a bunch of those off. I kept some on her skin as I felt like it gave it some details.

I'll post a pic once she fully printed (or assembled). Fun model to print up!!

I noticed something, there are allot of files from Rocket Pig that are on their own site store that aren't on their MMF store. Need to keep a eye on their own store % off sales more, now.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, haldir said:

I'll post a pic once she fully printed (or assembled). Fun model to print up!!

Here she in all her ugly glory. I hope to get some paint on her, at least a primer coat, as the drawback of the blue is mini really look like game board pieces. 

16144728885539182102209080513546.jpg

• Like 3

Had I success/failure. So a Orc Hand of Yurtrus in 5e is a variant orc that looking at the stats doesn't use a weapon. They have a claw attack that does decent damage. I found a unarmed orc in Artisan Guild's line up for this one, well since AG's minis are handless I found a cool orc & then found bare L & R hands. I printed up the hands by themselves & they were a successful print sorta. The hands printed but they were barely on the supports & one was ok on the top, but the bottom had no details & was basically a lump of resin. At least I don't have to clean the FEP with this one.

I may just look at some existing Bones in decent poses & snip weapons off for this guy.

• Like 1

A noted in the success thread, I didn't have any problems with that failed hands print. I printed off a halberd & it came out like anything else I've printed. With that whining fan, I waited till my wife woke up before starting a new print. Print was level I slightly re-sized (more or less fit to a medium size base) & that printed while I was in town this morning.

Afterwards I printed the druid for a upcoming (probably a month out) adventure tonight. The print was done & the plate was barely raising as I looked at it while ascending the stairs. I almost thought I didn't have anything, but I remembered when I sliced her, I stuck her in a different spot on the plate. I read somewhere it's a good practice to not print in the same spot all the time to help the FEP out.

As I was heading to bed, I figured something I can work on when I get home in the morning, as I really didn't want to mess with it tonight (been up since 4 this morning).